New and still suffering

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New and still suffering

Postby cherylk » 21 Feb 2011, 10:48

Island girl wrote:Hi Cherylk,
I love living here! I have been here almost 20 years. Originally from New England. It is so frustrating to be dealing with this and not be able to do all the things i love to do here. I have and will consider anything!! Even the so called good surgery outcomes sound horrific. Do you know anyone that has had succsess with the botox?
Have you had the surgery? I waiting to read that someone is normal again after the LIS...seems like everyone is still going through all the same hellish things they were pre-surgery. Thanks for your response..sending you sunshine!!

I have not had any butt surgeries! There are some here who had help from Botox. You might try doing a search on that topic. Dawn is the "poster girl" for LIS. She seems very pleased with her outcome, and others have also been happy they took the plunge, so to speak (or took the knife). Best wishes to you in your struggle. The sunshine you sent has not yet arrived! Image
How is living in the Virgin Islands different from living in the U.S.? I have never been to the Eastern Caribbean, but have been to the Caymen Islands Image and Cozumel, Mexico, on cruises. :D
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby alpinestrawberry » 21 Feb 2011, 12:18

Hi Island Girl! Just here to say, I know exactly what you're going through. I've had my fissure for five years now, and I was able to keep it at bay for the first four years, without ointment or anything other than baths and diet. But like you, it's now back with a vengeance...that's the way of it with these things. The nitro hasn't fixed me either, not in 3-4 months of using it. And it's the strongest there is, at 2%.
Like you, I've been scared forever of the surgery and wanted to avoid it at all costs. But I'm just ready to throw in the towel...the incontinence thing isn't even on my radar anymore. Of all the experiences I've read about on these boards, I haven't seen anyone say they've had incontinence as a result of the surgery. Yes, maybe they had to go back for a second (or even third) surgery, but no incontinence. I would think the surgery would have to be totally botched for that to happen--it's supposed to leave your external sphincter intact, so you should be able to hold BM's just fine. And if you have trouble sometimes distinguishing between diarrhea and gas, well, that can happen to normal people who haven't even had the surgery!
My first appointment with the CRS is tomorrow morning. I am just so nervous and wound up...just not knowing what he'll say. My goal is to walk out of there with a scheduled surgery date.
Wishing you luck with your appointment too!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2011, 20:13

Hi Island Girl,
Welcome:)
Here's a post you may find encouraging. She had her fissure for 13 years and had LIS.
http://anal-fissure.org/t2559-questions-questions-for-experienced-lisers#52580
I only had my fissure 8 months which seemed like an eternity but also had LIS. There is hope, so hang in there!

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2011, 20:28

spamfree1232002 wrote: I sometimes worry that we hear more from those sufferers who do not get an easy cure. It is understandable that those who improve probably don't have the motivation to carry on posting on this sort of group much - they just get on with their lives: much as I did a few years ago after GTN (Glycerine TriNitrate - the nitro ointment) and conservative methods sorted me out after a few weeks. On the other hand those who are not sorted out are probably more likely to engage us with their problems. So I'm trying not to worry too much about the scary stories.

This is very true! I know where you guys are coming from and I tried to just read the positive. Many post will be post-op or people who aren't healing and support is needed. I read every post on here before my LIS to learn all that I could about how to take care of myself or what to expect, what to do and what not to do, Lol
Right before my LIS, there was a nice man(small change) who posted his LIS experience for me that really gave me encouragement, and there was another person Dgator who wrote a few posts... They both had great outcomes and left fairly quickly from this board. I believe they are the majority who will heal and move on. I think I'm sorta out of the norm with staying after a positive experience...Lol
I just know the fear that I had before my surgery and wanted to help others to see that it's not always horrific as many of the stories I read.
You just have to search through these threads and you will see that many who were here are gone! Some had bumpy rides and some didn't but the fact that they are gone shows that they no longer needed this board and are healed.
Just try and stay positive! This surgery can and does work on the majority! :)

Postby Island girl » 23 Feb 2011, 19:13

Dawn ..thank you so much for all the wonderful information and positve thoughts! Alpine thanks for your response as well..I haven't really looked into the botox thing. I don't think I like the idea of it for some reason. Like you ..I think I may have to eventually throw in the towel and go for the LIS. As you know it's an up and down battle of the BUTT. Right now I'm on the whole natural..holistic band -wagon. Aloe..wheat germ oil..wheat grass oil. Even a essentil oil I found online for fissures. I have to say it all feels better to me than the Nitro ointment. My newest was..I went for accupuncture on my Husbands urging yesterday. I have to say I was a total skeptic..but went anyway. I felt better after than I have in days..and had a pretty good day today. Who knows!? I will go again on Saturday..we'll see. I am definitley in the "Try anything"..last effort stage..because I HATE needles..
Island girl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby cherylk » 23 Feb 2011, 19:24

Island G,
Acupuncture can help many areas of the body. My chiro used to use it on my hands and elbows for me. I don't like needles of any kind either!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Hopeful lad » 25 Feb 2011, 05:40

Island girl
You have done very well to keep your AF at bay for 10 years.
I have had botox for the fissure.
I had the injections - one either side into internal sphincter in early January this year.
Although it hasn't worked as I hoped (and I have had much bigger doses several years ago into the external sphincter for a problem called 'anismus' and they also cured my fissure problems for over a year) I still think it's worth trying in most cases.
In my case there was no recovery time needed, just some pain when the injections went in (without painkillers), and thereafter I carried on as usual. I had no incontinence and it usually takes around 3 months to wear off I've been told (and seems to be confirmed by most sources).
Living on an island, it might be worth thinking about this as an alternative - of course none of these things are cheap, especially if you have to fly there and back to get them.
I just regret I wasn't given a higher dose of the botox this time as it might have worked better, but I have to go by what the CRS normally does.
I have an appointment with a CRS in mid March so may be heading for LIS too.
Best wishes to you
Ralph
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1