Botox update!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox update!

Postby mumof2 » 23 Feb 2011, 04:44

Hello,
Thank you for the kind messages before my botox, sorry haven't had a chance to come back on in a while.
The procedure was pretty horrid. They packed the area which was sooo painful post procedure. Ended up having some very strong pain killers which made me feel horrid. Didn't get home until 8pm after having procedure at 11am.
Anyway that was 3 weeks ago and I don't think its working. The pain is still there although it is a lot less than it was. I am sure it should be settling by now and don't think its going to heal. I am just wondering how others got on post botox, although it seems not to work for most people on here.
I am having a low day today, think its partly hitting the 3 week mark. After going through so much I really thought it might heal this time. Not sure if I am getting dispondent to early on. I plan to contact my doc next week if its still painful.
Not sure of the next option. Poss more botox? Or the LIS. Somedays I feel I am ready to go for LIS and then other days the thought of being incontinent really gets to me.
Sorry long post but as I said feeling low today. Have cried in front of my 4 year old which is so unfair on him.
Thanks for reading.
xxx
mumof2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Botox update!

Postby mumof2 » 23 Feb 2011, 04:46

Forgot to ask is anyone taking antidepressants? Do they help?
x
mumof2
Fibre Addict

Postby Bumbutt » 23 Feb 2011, 14:51

Sorry you are feeling so low mumof2. It sounds like the botox procedure was painful! I haven't had it, but what you described isn't how I imagined it.
With others that have had botox, from what I've read it seems they at least got some relief in the beginning, but that the number of days that relief has lasted is variable. Sounds like a good plan to contact your CRS next week. I take it you are in the UK, and I wonder whether you have contact with the same CRS each time or not? Do you trust the CRS you've seen? Are you using any ointment now?
I think cheryl has been a proponent of anti-depressants, and maybe others have taken them. As we all know, this thing is as tough emotionally as it is physically, so I can really sympathize with how you feel - I've had a few "breakdowns" too - and any stress doesn't help my emotional situation.
Would you want to try another botox? How long have you had your fissure? It must be soooo tough to do with kids. I can't imagine. Hang in there!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bumbutt » 24 Feb 2011, 01:13

How are you doing today mum?
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 24 Feb 2011, 08:41

I've had lots of breakdowns too... Image
Sometimes I just have had to cry in the shower so my five year old doesn't get upset.
This is your second botox, right? If it isn't getting any better soon...it's probably time to think about LIS. You are brave for going through the botox. I didn't even want to try it, since there really aren't too many glowing success stories here, and the effects are temporary.
I doubt the surgery would be any more difficult for you than what you've already been through...and it probably stands a better chance of bringing a permanent end to your problems.
I don't know about the antidepressants...maybe they could help, at least temporarily. But so will finding a real solution to the pain. I know that if I can get my butt fixed, I won't be needing any happy pills!
Hope you're feeling better today... Image
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby alpinestrawberry » 24 Feb 2011, 08:49

mumof2 wrote: Somedays I feel I am ready to go for LIS and then other days the thought of being incontinent really gets to me.

To put this in perspective...have you had any incontinence issues with the Botox? Passed gas unintentionally, etc? The thought of incontinence scares everyone...I'm dealing with it too, I'm having LIS soon. I'm just waiting for them to call me with the surgery schedule. But, I think it's also VASTLY overblown...no one here has had real incontinence. Mild leakage after a BM, yes...but that eventually goes away given some time.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2011, 14:25

Hi mum. I had botox treatment twice so I know how you feel. What else are you doing to help heal the AF? The botox will only 'relax' the muscle allowing more blood flow to the area in turn allowing the healing process. I think therefore with more blood flow etc it might feel different down there along with pain of course. A salty bath is good, I go for a hot as I can stand. Another option you could try is Manuka Honey. Try a search for it, I wrote my thoughts on this forum earlier. It helped me but I wouldn't like to say its for everyone.
Might help I hope so but either way hang on in there, better days to come I'm sure. :D

Postby Hopeful lad » 24 Feb 2011, 18:14

To mumof2
I had the botox about 8 weeks ago (actually Dysport which is made in UK - about a third of the strength of botox, but still botulinum toxin) into the internal sphincter - I had 100 units (wish I'd had more). Unfortunately no painkillers so was a bit painful.
So far I am worse than before, but I don't blame the botox as I can now pass gas! (generally without pain).
But joking aside it's depressing and believe me I've shed more than a few tears over this thing so you have all my sympathy and much more.
However I have read online of two ladies who I believe had the botox and it took them 5 weeks or more to be pain free so you may be on the right track if your pain is lessening.
Incidentally GTN or NTG (Rectogesic in UK), as I mentioned in my Newbie post has been shown to reduce the internal sphincter resting pressure (ie what it normally is) still more if used after having botox. I've seen a clinical trial online giving the reduced pressure figures.
If your CRS or GP agrees (and you should consult them) you may be allowed to add this to your treatment -
subject of course to your not being unduly affected by the headaches or any contraindications which your GP would be aware of. I use the Rectogesic all the time (ie every day).
I could certainly use some anti depressants (as long as they're not constipating!), and I believe that they also help to relieve pain. I had been taking valerian (Kalms pills OTC in the UK) but have stopped today as they are depressing me more.
If your pain is lessening the botox may work if it lasts about 3 months - let's hope so. Do you know how many units you had?
Best wishes
Ralph
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mumof2 » 01 Mar 2011, 03:56

Hello!
Thanks very much for your reolies and support. Sorry haven't been on to reply but have read all the replies.
I am doing a bit better. Pain has eased slightly but still there a bit.
Just to answer some of your comments -
I am in the UK. I see the same consultant each time. He seems pretty good although he did say he doesn't do many LIS procedures these days which worries me.
I'm still not sure about antidepressants. I feel a bit brighter but still tearful. Hate the fact my mood is dependent on my bum!
This is my second lot of botox but the first was over 2 years ago. The fissure got bad again after the birth of my second child. Would consider having it done again.
I also take normacol plus. I tried all the creams. GTN gave me headaches. Diltiazem made me itch!
Anyway must go. Thanks again.
Guess its just a waiting game. I try to stay positive but its so hard when I have been through this all before. I know that old feeling of thinking you are getting somewhere with this thing then the next day being in pain. Have to take each day as it comes!
Take care.
mumof2
Fibre Addict

Postby Bumbutt » 02 Mar 2011, 01:56

I hope things will be looking up for you! Let us know how you are feeling. The emotional rollercoaster side of having a fissure is just about as big as the physical side of it.
Maybe happyass should start shipping this Mexican cream to those of you who don't tolerate the other standard creams... half-kidding, don't want to get him in trouble... I just wish that you had an alternative.
In the meantime, keep up with the stool softener, and water, taking care of yourself...
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist