The Dogs of Your Life...

Need some comic relief?? Games and quizzes are here. Want to talk about your pets, your life, etc? This is the place!

Return to Quizzes, Games & Chat

The Dogs of Your Life...

Postby Bambi » 23 Feb 2011, 12:53

A few years ago, I spent time gradually collecting those small glass figures of dogs- I was looking for one to represent every dog my sister has ever owned. She is even more of a dog lover than we are and is still in mourning over the loss of her last Sheltie, Albert about 3 months ago.
So I thought I'd start a thread about the dogs of our lives.
Mine:
Maggie- a beagle I don't really remember very well, other than that she chewed through our back garage door during a thunderstorm one time and also made it all the way across town after we moved during another storm and our former neighbor found her hiding under the old house (in south Texas where houses are up on piers sometimes- or were)
Fritz- a mini-dachshund that loved my mother and snapped at me one time when I got in the car after school But when I had the measles and pneumonia in third grade, he never left my side. About a week after I got well, my mother had to stop suddenly and he fell off the back seat. He ended up having a ruptured spleen and the vet thought he may have contracted the measles from me.
Davy Crockett- a wonderful standard dachshund we all loved. He was terrified of men, accept for my father, and could catch a tennis ball that ws falling off the roof. He would also take his ball and always go back to his "pitcher's mound" and would "bat" the ball back to you with his nose.
Frieda- our female dachshund at the same time as Crockett- she had 12 puppies when I was around 8. That was so fun!
Butch- the first dog after we were married- a schnauzer, terrier, poodle mix- kindof a grey Benji. Such a wonderful, sweet boy. He was our baby until our daughter was born. He lived to about 12.
Sadie- A very sweet Sheltie we got for free from a friend of my sister's in Texas when our daughter was 5. Sadie loved me and followed me everywhere. My husband thought she was very passive aggressive and she really kindof was toward him! She died at age 12 about 5 years ago.
Bubba- our current love. A "tweener" dachshund who adores my husband most of all (but loves me too!). Give that dog a blanket and a lap and he is happy. He has been good company lately! He is 13, has high blood pressure and a heart murmer. We treasure everyday with him. I'm going to go and cuddle with him now.
Dunkmaster (what a name!- we can only hope they are getting it out of their systems with dogs!)- our Grand-dog. A wonderful Boston Terrier. I adore this dog. He can be rather standoffish, but I make him be more affectionate. He is so incredibly obedient and stays inside for a long time while those "kids" are out and about. He never has an accident. My daughter found him on Craigslist a year before they got married. His former owners seemed to hate him and wanted to be rid of him- we can't understand it. He's one of the best dogs in the world! And he seems to know how lucky he is to be with our daughter and her husband.
Now let's hear from everyone else- especially about that Pug, HappyAss
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: The Dogs of Your Life...

Postby cherylk » 23 Feb 2011, 14:36

Scampi--He was a beagle/collie mix. Every time it stormed he would howl! We got him when I was in junior high. Sometimes he would run away, and I remember going in the car to try to find him!
Gigi Jeanette of Showboy--She was a white miniature poodle, and I named her myself. During my high school years my mom bred her once, and she had the cutest pups!! My mom helped during the "delivery of the puppies." When I was in college, I remember that she had to have a blood transfusion. (I don't remember why.) My mom cried after she had to have Gigi put to sleep. (I was married and on my own by that time.) Gigi was a great companion to my mom after she and my dad divorced, and it was really sad for my mother to have to do that. :(
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bumbutt » 24 Feb 2011, 02:05

I've always had collies - well, just two, but they were both such good dogs.
The first one when I was a child. She was super protective and used to "herd" us out of the road (where we played) by nosing us off to the side. You could just dive right into her fluffy coat.
The second collie we had when I was in high school. She was a beauty, and friendly and lovable, but we jokingly used to call her the "air-head" - all beauty, no brains. Image Maybe she had alzheimers all her life - she would just wander around with this dazed look in her eyes sometimes. She is the dog who had 9 puppies - oh my God, they were so adorable. I remember running, lying down and letting them jump all over me. So dang cute!!
I grew up out in the countryside, so we were always able to just open the door and let our dogs run around freely outside.
I live in an apartment now and my husband isn't much of a dog person, so for now I have to dream about my old collies.... Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Bambi » 24 Feb 2011, 20:02

Our neighbor has the most wonderful Collie. Our little dachshund is literally in love with him. They also have a Sheltie and he can be barking and our dog doesn't seem to mind. But if the Collie starts barking, our dachshund gets really upset and howls. It is cute. They take care of our dog when we are out of town.
I love the Collie! In the summer, he'll just suddenly appear and nose up against me. Such a wonderful dog- I miss my Sheltie and her herding instinct. But she definitely had some of that possible dementia as well. She would start to do something- like go through a door or whatever and then she'd stop and keep repeating it. And I always thought that she was a lot like me- her downfall was in trying to please, so she kept second guessing what she was supposed to do!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bumbutt » 25 Feb 2011, 03:00

That's so funny - it reminded me of our collie. She would head into the bathroom, and then look around like "what am I doing here?" and walk back out. Like you said - now I do that! Image
It sounds like you've adopted some dogs Bambi? To have had so many of different ages...
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Bambi » 25 Feb 2011, 17:17

I do that too- walk in and have no idea why I'm there!
Actually the only dog we truly "adopted" was our sweetheart Butchie. We got him from a foster care program of the Dallas area Humane Society when we lived there. When something happens to our current baby, Bubba, we are not sure what we will do. The plan for retirement was of course to travel some and we have a wonderful arrangement for dog care with our neighbors, who love Bubba and he loves their Collie, but we may take a break. But after that, we have vowed to adopt a doggie or do a dog rescue. Our Grand-dog would constitute an adoption really. I was just curled up on the couch with both of them a little while ago- so comforting and it is snowing out which makes it easy to relax for me.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 26 Feb 2011, 10:18

i have to admit i am not a dog person.
but i did become fascinated with the pug in 1997 and ever since then i knew i was going to have one. ten years later, i finally had my baby pug join me in the life and i am just so happy to have him in my life.
i am sure Pooh, my cat, has a different opinion since Pooh has been with since 1994.
i always grew up with cats - and dogs too but dogs were my sister's love.
i love everything pug and french bulldog and boston terrier but pug is my ultimate favorite.
my pug is pure love.
(and so is my cat.....)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bambi » 26 Feb 2011, 13:34

My daughter so wants a bulldog, a pug, or a French bulldog at some point. We are all besotted by these lovely, silly creatures! Poor Dunky came down the stairs too quickly this morning and was doing his snorting thing when we took him out to go.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby grannymaria » 13 Jan 2012, 18:47

Blackie was our first one- then came Lance, skippy , patches, dredzi, morbious, muffin, and muffin was the best! All were mutts n I loved them all . :)
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sue1962 » 17 Jan 2012, 12:40

I am a huge dog lover!! Cannot remember ever not having one. Shannon, a toy silver poodle who bit my nose when I was about 6. Molly- a lasa wonderful dog, I was still living home, just too small. Missy and Amy, beagle mixes, bayed at everything. Snoopy a mutt, what a great dog. Bear a German Shepard another great dog, Cocoa a chesapeak lab I loved that dog more than life, he lived 16 years and I was lost when he was gone!! And that brings me to Scooter my part pit/lab he is by far the smartest most loving dog I have ever had!! All of my dogs have been rescues and I really think they know you saved them. Their unconditional love is amazing. They seem to always say thank you with their eyes.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36