chronic fissure pain

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

chronic fissure pain

Postby desperatehousewife » 27 Feb 2011, 10:17

I know there has been some talk about "zingers" on this board. Perfect name for that! I'm wondering if your spasms feel like they are on the surface of your skin, under the skin, or higher up in the canal. Or if you feel they spread to other areas of the body.
Lately when I poop the pain is a 0 or a 1 on the fissure scale. When my fissures were bad it was a 10 about a year ago. I'm almost dissappointed, as my second surgery is at the end of the week and might back out. I can't live like this, but don't want my surgeon giving me a surgery just because he doesn't know what else to do with me.
I was wondering if anyone else has poops so soft, they don't feel them coming out anymore. My metamucil routine is finally down pat. And for whatever reason I think the nifedeprine has helped it (didn't help before surgery #1)
I am still left with a dull ache/crampy/hot /pressure sensation all day/night. It feels worse when sitting on a soft surface. Feels really sore on the edge of sphincter by perenium. More on the perenium side. The pain also feels like it is on the inside of the skin and in my muscle. It almost feels like it radiates further in to buttocks too, but mildly. Sorry for TMI but if I stand up and lift my butt cheeks with my hands, I can feel muscular pain all the way up to my stomach. Before when my fissure was bad it felt like salt on an open wound, now not at all. I'm too scared to get off the supplements and creams to do an experiment to see if I would totally rip open.... I also had my first shart the other day, which leads me to believe if I went 33 years without one, and am getting them now, maybe another surgery isn't the best idea. I'm going to be a basketcase until I decide what to do!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: chronic fissure pain

Postby Dave » 27 Feb 2011, 12:29

Hi,
Do you take any pain medication now? I've had my first LIS bout 4 weeks ago (see newbie posts) and still experienced a lot of the dull pain that you describe (the fissure is still about 50% open according to the surgeon). The pain for me is not close to the anus - more up and in the prostrate area - also had the downward pressure feeling from time to time.
But I found now that when I take a pain pill early morning and then just after lunch I'm almost pain-free for the whole day. I can take up to 6 of the pain med in a day (tramaced - contains paracetemol 325mg and tramadol 37.5mg) so I think 2 is not that bad. The surgeon told me that I can take this long term and at least I can operate now - the constant pain was just too much for me.
Just curious what you take for a stool softener - even a quarter dose of Movicol tends to give me too soft stools - also had a stomach bug over the weekend now which was VERY sore - burning sensation. I dont have hard stools normally but wanted to make sure that I give the fissure a chance to heal.
Dave
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Bumbutt » 27 Feb 2011, 13:41

I can tell you that my muscle spasms now are much less than they were two months ago. I now have pain free BMs, but get an ache afterwards. The ache has gotten to be less over the past few weeks, now lasting two hours, though I get an occasional zinger still too (mainly if I'm standing alot). This ache feels like it is higher up - it also feels like it is more on my left side (you mentioned something about Levator Ani and the left side that made my ears perk up). I'm no longer tender on the outside around the anus, as I was two months ago. I do know that this past Friday I had to go to the bathroom twice in the morning - and this extra irritation was enough to make this ache last much longer than it had been - at least 8 hours.
So if it were me, and I were to stop taking the movicol or other supplements and got a harder poop as a result, I'm sure I would end up hurting more immediately, and jump back on the band wagon. I think I am just keeping my fissure in check by maintaining the Miracle Soft Poop, which I've been able to do pretty easily with Movicol. So, I personally wouldn't experiment too much with that.
I have no idea whether the lessening of these spasms are part of a healing process, or part of the chronic process. Since I can pass gas (sorrry TMI from me too, but hey, maybe this site should be called "TMI"), and since the spasms are less, I think I am healing - but I also think that I could easily end up in trouble again at this point in time. I saw on an old post that it can take something like a year to just heal the skin on the fissure site to 80% of the strength, and two years to be 100%.

I do think the movicol causes me to "leak" a little - since I know that I clean up completely after a BM, and then an hour later there's something there to clean up again.
Hope this helps a little...
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby desperatehousewife » 27 Feb 2011, 17:33

Thanks for the replies!
Dave- I'm currently on metamucil. Movicol made my stools too soft in that I felt there was too much mess to clean up and needed to go back to rewipe frequently. I've tried NSAIDS for pain and they do absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I'll try something else.
Definently sounds like you are healing Bumbutt! You are so lucky your spasms are reducing. That gives me hope. The surgeon gave me lidocaine for bms, but that does nothing for pressure sensations and actually stopped using it.
I'm wondering also if it hurts anyone else to sit. Like the muscles around your sitz bones hurt (Bones in your butt) including the rectal area?
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Postby Dave » 28 Feb 2011, 01:02

How muh metamucil do you take? And does it keep the stools relatively soft as well? Would really like to get to the recipe that works for me.
I've got less trouble to sit now but cannot sit for hours on end and also still cannot drive long distances. But I suppose thats normal after 4 weeks - and in addition the surgeon drained two small hemmorhoids last Monday which had the effect that I struggled more to sit again.
Dave
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby desperatehousewife » 28 Feb 2011, 10:59

Dave, I responded to your question on one of your other posts. Hope that helps!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Postby Bumbutt » 01 Mar 2011, 02:15

For me sitting still isn't comfortable most of the time, although it doesn't hurt into my bones - just around the anus I would say. Two months ago though, if I were to just brush the outside of my butt cheek, it would hurt.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7