Hi. New to the site but it looks invaluable!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi. New to the site but it looks invaluable!

Postby Miserable » 16 Mar 2011, 14:37

Hopefully I will have posted this correctly as I am new to the site and not exactly gifted when it comes to IT.
Where do I start? Was diagnosed 3 weeks ago after being admitted to hospital. GP had been treating me for internal piles since January and I was so sore by this point I couldnt move and needed a shot of morphine to get me back down from the ceiling. Was treated to a colonoscopy (?) the next day under general anesth and fissure was diagnosed. Since then I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. This site is a revelation as until now I had been feeling very lonely. Hospital gave me ointment to use (anoheal 2%. Seems to have hydrochloride in it) but 1. Its not easy to apply. Too feckin sore (using cotton bud) and 2. Im not getting any better! Have an repeat appointment at hossie on 20 April but that seems a million miles away and no respite from pain in sight. Getting through a day at work is horrendous and I have the added problem that I am starting a new job on Monday so just need to battle on!
I have never suffered from constipation so its a real mystery how this came about. Im now trying hard not to eat much (while following high fibre dietry advice) as the thought of having to go to the loo fills me with horror. Its painful enough without that. Anyway, sorry for bleating on. Any advice of any kind you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Especially on diet and what I should be expecting from the medical community in terms of help. Thanks for listening! Image
Miserable
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Hi. New to the site but it looks invaluable!

Postby Savaici » 16 Mar 2011, 17:31

Welcome! It is awful to be in pain, and sorry that you seem to be going through the mill of it.
You will find a lot of information here on just about everything to do with fissures. My two cents: don't overdo the fibre, just enough to make the poop well formed. Drink enough water that your wee is clear (I have about six cups a day), but don't go into overdrive there either. About putting the Anoheal in - have you tried smearing some on one of those applicators that come with hemmy ointment and inserting that about 1cm in. Also, Sitz bath. I just started using mine today. One of those ones that fit on the loo. I just filled it half way up with hottish water and found that it helped. Diet: I am sure that you will get info from others on that, but I am of the 'what has to go in has to come out' and I would rather it was not going to put me in agony. So, I don't eat a lot, and what I do eat is not over fibre rich.
Are you seeing a gastro doctor or a colorectal surgeon, or your GP? My luck has been that the ordinary doctors do not seem to have much understanding of fissures - or maybe just my luck. Same as you, I was treated for hemmorhoids for months. Had to actually ask a surgeon to look for a fissure...
It is no fun being in pain, but there are people on here who have been through the mill backwards, and the information from them, and what can be found on here in the different forums, is truly great. Doesn't take the pain away, but makes bearing it less lonely.
Once again, welcome!!!
Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222