BOTOX TREATMENT

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: BOTOX TREATMENT

Postby Bernie » 03 Apr 2011, 12:36

Hi Andy,
I had Botox under GA back in 2008. The worst thing was the enema beforehand as that made me feel sick, but once everything was evacuated I felt normal again.
Yes it did work for me. IIRC there was short-term discomfort afterwards but no pain, and I was worried about larger/harder BMs for a while, so I continued taking lactulose for another 9months after the treatment, very gradually reducing.
I have to wait until mid-May before I get to see the consultant about this AF (again, caused by childbirth), but if he offers me botox again, I will opt for that before more invasive surgery.
HTHs.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Bambi » 03 Apr 2011, 12:54

So glad to hear from someone who had good success with the botox! They must do it differently in the UK because I had no prep- no enema or restrictions- but probably because they didn't knock me out. I hope the botox works for you too Andy! I would think they could be more precise when the patient if totally immobile. I don't know why mine didn't sedate me at all.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Botox

Postby Miserable » 04 Apr 2011, 08:14

Hi Andy
Was surprised to hear how quickly you were offered Botox so well done on that score! I was admitted to hospital about 6 weeks ago now when fissure was finaly diagnosed and I was put on Anuheal ointment. There has been no improvement and after 5 days of not being able to move for pain afteer each visit to the loo I have finally "gone private" and have an appointment with CRS tomorrow morning when I am praying he offers me Botox as I am now in my 4th month of hell with this. Im really keen to hear how you get on and if you are being knocked out then all the better as very few on this website who have had botox are. Its something I will now push for on the basis it has been offered to you. Have to confess this forum is the only thing that has got me through the last few weeks as the hospital provided me with no guidance on diet, water intake , stool softeners etc etc. Just sent me away with my wee tube of cream and told me I would "be fine". When are you scheduled in? Please kee[ us all informed with progress and the very best of luck to you. At leastyou have a bit of light at the end of this very dark tunnel!
Miserable
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby andy1505 » 04 Apr 2011, 09:09

Miserable
I have also been through hell & back with the pain, its been so bad i have been sat on the stairs at home not being able to move with tears rolling down my face, i just can't explain to anyone in mu family how painful this is.
The consultant that i saw offered Botox with no questions asked, so can think myself lucky i am getting some treatment for the fissure.
I am being knocked out, not looking forward to this, but better than being kept awake and held still!! I am on the waiting list, but hoping it will not be long as even walking short distances causes major pain . discomfort!!!
I have been given cream 2% Diltiazem Hydrochloride, which stings like hell if it goes near the fissure and a local anaesthetic gel to use before a BM, but as i am also using Molaxole its difficult to use the gel as when i need to go, i need to go!!!
Looking forward to getting back to my running though, havent run since Mid Jan 2011, when you are used to doing 60+ miles a month you really miss getting out!!
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Botox

Postby Miserable » 04 Apr 2011, 12:34

Hi Andy
Funny you should mention the sitting on the stairs bit....was in same posiiton myself yesterday!! I feel as though my partner must be sick to death of the whole saga too though he is doing his best to hide it but as you say unless you have been there you cant imagine how bad the pain is. Good luck with getting back to the running. I am a horse rider myself thou havent sat on my boy since Jan. Normally at this time of year I am hyper and planning our summer of competitions. Now its all I can do to drag myself to the farm to feed him and put him out in the morning. Cant wait to get back in the saddle!!! Hope you dont need to wait too long for your date to come through.
Miserable
Fibre Addict

Botox experience

Postby Daisy1026 » 04 Apr 2011, 23:00

Hi Andy,
I an new to this forum also but I thought I would share my Botox experience with you. I have had my fissure since November last year and tried all the creams etc.. Before my CRS suggested Botox.. I was in so much pain having time off work and basically spending all my time in bed. I had my first shot in February and after a couple of weeks I felt alot better however I was still in pain but it was not as intense I was able to get on with life as I could handle the pain it was alot less than what I had been dealing with. I had no leakage or anything like that I was tender
for the days after my shot but it was not to bad... Just this past week I have had that pain returning and intensifying so the Botox is wearing off. I had an appointment with my dic this morning and he gave me the option of another round of Botox or LIS as he has told me that my fissure is very large and very nasty that LIS may be my only option. I do beleive the Botox helped so I have booked in for another round to be done next Friday as well as having three large skin tags cut off- which I am hoping will help healing! The Botox I beleive is well worth a shot I was so happy that I could actually get up and do normal things and now the pain is returning I noticed a huge difference in pain levels so the Botox must be doing something right... Image
Daisy1026
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby andy1505 » 05 Apr 2011, 01:12

Daisy1026
Thanks for sharing your treatment, i am keeping an open mind with regards to the Botox, i am hoping it works so that i can return to my running and Normal life!!!
I have had pain now for over 4 months and forgot what normal is, when you are in pain everyday you tend to forget the good days, only remember the bad and how painful this is.
Hope your second round of Botox works for you, will keep my fingers crossed X
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby Miserable » 05 Apr 2011, 11:53

Was very happy to read about a positive Botox experience as I have been scheduled in for procedure tomorrow morning. Am praying for reduced pain, no nasty side effects and the hope of getting my old life back. Have to confess am petrified and not expecting much sleep tonight but hopefully I will be posting another positive experience in the next couple of days! Here's hoping....
Miserable
Fibre Addict

Postby andy1505 » 06 Apr 2011, 08:52

Miserable
Hope your treatment went well, were you knocked out for the injections?
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby Miserable » 07 Apr 2011, 04:15

Hi Andy (and any others)
Had the treatment yesterday and yes it was under a general. Have to confess it was much easier than I had expected (well so far so good anyway). Pain when I came round was dull throbbing variety rather than the sharp crippling pain of the fissure. Nurses were good and monigtored pain levels and gave relief as required. I think I took some about 3 hours after surgery and then about 5 hours later in advance of being driven home. Have some packing up my tail end which I was advised to try to keep in at least overnigt which I have done. Must confess dreading first BM and am sitting looking at the bath I have run to soak off the packing (its secured by a kind of nappy type arrangement- think Forrest Gump when he gets shot in teh butt) as Im a bit nervous. Im very comfortable at the moment and had a fabulous sleep (no doubt as a result of GA) for first time in weeks. CRS discovered a bit of infection up there too so I have come home with 2 weeks antibiotics as well as some killer pain relief if I need it. Also been given rhectogesic as CRS wants me to use that in conjunction with the botox in an affort to nail this once and for all. Have also been given laxative/stool softener (Lactulose solution) to take 3 times daily. All in he seems to be taking quite an aggressive stance against it and he has given me a lot more confidence that we migt get somewhere this time. I have a follow up with him in a month. Dont know where in the UK you are Andy but this guy is in Glasgow. I am lucky enough to have BUPA through my work and I wish to god I had used it months ago but had stuck with NHS through some kind of loyalty (plus the bupa has a hefty Ј250 excess). If this guy has done the trick it will have been the best Ј250 I have ever spent in my life!! About to brave the bath now. I will keep the forum posted on progress. Hope you get your date soon Andy and please dont have any concerns about the procedure itself. You will know nothing about it. Feel free to contact me direct if there is anything you want to discuss specifically.
Miserable
Fibre Addict