BOTOX TREATMENT

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

BOTOX TREATMENT

Postby andy1505 » 02 Apr 2011, 09:30

Hello everyone.
I have had constant pain for the past 4.5 months, finally got to see a hospital consultant last week and he diagnosed a fissure, i have been in so much pain its good to finally get a diagnosis. I have a day treatment where i will be knocked out and given botox injections. I don't like hospitals at the best of times, what sort of pain can i expect after this treatment and is it normally successful?
This is my first fissure and the pain has been so bad i never what it to come back, thanks for your replies.
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: BOTOX TREATMENT

Postby Elphie » 02 Apr 2011, 12:33

I'm glad for u that u r being knocked out for this because the shots themselves HURT like HELL but after, almost instant relief, best drive home I had in months... Unfortunately for me, 36 hrs later it was worse and stayed that way for a few months. For alot of ppl it does work. Just b careful after with coughing, sneezing anything that suddenly puts pressure down there because I did have some leakage when this happened. Not alot but enough that a full cleanup is needed. It was hard to tell the diff between gas and BM so I became afraid to angel gas! I really hope it works for u! Good luck!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Savaici » 02 Apr 2011, 14:45

Hi Andy, I think that it must work for a lot of people, or they would not use it. My CRS has said that if my Nefidipine does not work after three weeks, he would also knock me out and give Botox. I am nervous about it, but in so much pain usually that am willing to try it. Try doing a search for Botox on here, and you should come up with other responses to its use. Do come back and tell how it goes, and good luck with it.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Savaici » 02 Apr 2011, 14:48

There are 81 posts on BOTOX, so am going to read them all...and thoroughly!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Bambi » 02 Apr 2011, 17:39

Hi Andy- I had botox injections two different times. My CRS does not knock you out for them. He has to do it at the hospital due to insurance regulations, but I just met him there, hopped up on the table and held very very still! He does a shot on each side so there are two usually. I had the first one done in early November, after having this current fissure since about this time last year. I do think it helped some- but when I saw him right before Christmas he felt the fissure should have healed more. I thought he was going to suggest the LIS then, but he recommended trying one more round of botox. Had those on Jan. 4th. Once again, I do think it helped but I also had a skin tag and about every 4 days, I would have 3 days of some pain and bleeding. Not as bad as before, but not completely better either. It made it difficult for me to take the plunge and have LIS when he did recommend it in early February. However, I am very glad I did all these things- of course tried the Nifedipine and am still using that per his ordrs. I had LIS and skin tag removal Feb. 17 (6 weeks ago). The fissure and incision site have really healed- the skin tag area is stubborn and still irritated but getting better.
So as to your botox questions:
- I actually didn't think they hurt as much as I thought it would. I do have to confess that I self medicated by taking some of my husband's Ativan he uses when he flies. So I was relaxed (he was driving!). I went home and crashed each time, partly because I was drugged up. But I don't remember having anything more than a very slight soreness the day after . Not much of anything really. And I did not have the losing of stool or anything. After the second time, I did feel like things had changed down there a little. Still- I was evidently quite the tight ass because after my LIS the CRS told my husband that I was very tight and the sphincter was "very spastic" and I had thought I was doing so much better.
I hope this does the trick for you. It is a good thing to try- it is not very invasive and I had to be happy to have a CRS that was conservative about cutting. I was surprised.
Still, don't be scared if you eventually need LIS!
My daughter said that I could now be part of the Housewives of Beverly Hills- I certainly never envisioned having botox injections and certainly not there!
Good luck!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby andy1505 » 03 Apr 2011, 04:08

Thanks for your replies
I am a keen runner, so really looking forward to getting back to the running!!
Being new on the forum, can I ask what LIS is??
I was quite embarrassed to go and see my doctor, but the pain was so bad I know don't care what treatment I have, I would never think it could be so painful, also getting high temperatures would thus be due to the pain or infection??
Thank you so much for your support
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 03 Apr 2011, 06:57

Bambi,
My daughter said that I could now be part of the Housewives of Beverly Hills- I certainly never envisioned having botox injections and certainly not there!
That is pretty funny about being a Housewife of Beverly Hills. Maybe that is a TV program?
Andy,
I don't think fissures usually cause a high temp. You might have an infection; I would check out your situation with your doctor!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby andy1505 » 03 Apr 2011, 08:08

Thanks Cherylk, will give them a call if the temperature continues.
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby Bambi » 03 Apr 2011, 12:23

Hi Andy- I agree with Cheryl- I think you should see your Dr. about the temperature. I am certainly no expert other than reading about things over the past year and I did have LIS 6 weeks ago.
I will attempt to answer the "what is LIS" question. You should go to the section labeled "considering surgery or have had surgery" because the administrators of the board have a couple of "stickies" right at the top of the section that have a lot of information.
LIS is short for lateral internal sphincterotomy and is the surgery of choice for fissures. Most of us who have had a fissure find ourselves fighting to not have the surgery, but then many of us wish we had done it sooner. Most Drs try more conservative methods first. My Dr. had me first use the medication Nifedipine in an ointment base. It is a blood pressure medication that works to relax the sphincter and hopefully allow the fissure to heal. The other medication is a nitrogycerin medication- I never used that but I think the one article below or the information here on the board explains it. For some people, it can cause headaches. If you are lucky, one of these medications may help to let the fissure heal within a few weeks. If not, they will consider botox injections. The purpose is the same- trying to break up any spasms that are occurring in the internal muscle and relaxing it so the fissure gets better blood supply and can then heal. If that doesn't work, the LIS surgery is considered. The success rate is quite high and don't let the 8% rate the one article quotes of incontinence scare you. I read in a couple of other places that that risk is very low (maybe around 1-2%) and that many who do have any long term issues had issues with muscle strength and flexibility beforehand (more elderly patients or those with another issue). The other thing I think is not addressed completely in those statistics is when they checked in with people and what they called incontinence (a slight discharge for a short period of time post surgery, for example, vs. long term more significant issues). Anyway, here are the WebMd and the wikipedia definitions of treatments , including LIS. Hope this was helpful. It is a path you are on, not one any of us wanted to walk on, but try to just put one foot in front of the other and hope and pray for the best. And know that if you do need to do the surgery, most have had good results and then you won't have to deal with the stupid thing anymore! Oh and the last link is just for fun- don't forget to have fun. As a retired speech/language pathologist, this is my idea of a good time!
Bambi
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/anal-fissure-treatment-overview
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_internal_sphincterotomy
http://www.twinmamarama.com/
Last edited by Bambi on 03 Apr 2011, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bambi » 03 Apr 2011, 12:29

And Housewives of Beverly Hills is one of those reality shows on Bravo, I think. Housewives of Atlanta, Housewives of Washington D.C, etc... ( Remember that couple that "crashed" a White House dinner- she was on the Washington D.C. one I think.
My daughter is very funny. She was at our house the day I was to go have the botox and not knowing what to expect, I felt the need to tell her about it. I wasn't sure what her reaction would be, but she just looked at me a second and then said that. Really cracked me up. It helps to laugh, doesn't it?
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist