Hyiene away from home/public restrooms

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Hyiene away from home/public restrooms

Postby Bambi » 21 Apr 2011, 18:58

So my husband is doing fairly well after his surgery on Monday. We were originally scheduled to make a trip to Las Vegas to meet my sister and brother-in-law there for a few days next week. I can't believe my husband is thinking he will feel good enough, but his Dr. seems ok with it. Now the last few days I have been getting more and more nervous about leaving home. I am 9 weeks post-LIS and after stopping Miralax a few weeks ago, have mostly had days of several loose and rather burny stools (with the few days last week that were firmer and scary!). So lately I have had several times, like in the grocery store, where I suddenly have to go and it is loose and rather irritating. I have never liked going #2 away from home as do many of us, and I always carried wipes for those times. But now it seems like the wipes do not really get everything clean. Of course, I am probably much more gentle and careful now, but I am trying to be thorough as well. And it just seems that unless I can rinse myself off with gentle soap and water, things are just irritated down there. I have taken to carrying cotton balls and some plain water or saline and that helps some, but it is still not the same. So I am becoming a nervous wreck at the thought of being out and about next week. I have developed a pretty consistent habit of first thing in the morning BM and then after lunch and sometimes after dinner (eat-poop, eat-poop). So I know it will happen and I don't want it to ruin my whole day or anyone else's(my husband knows me so well- he can always tell and he deserves to go and have a good time if he is brave enough to do it!). Any ideas- it seems like my poop is more acidic. Could the Miralax have caused that and still be causing it after a week or so of being off it? Really more like 3 weeks, but I used a little last week. Also I wondered if anyone has used Balneol with good results or not. I'm a little scared to try putting anything else down there, but read some reviews of that product that made me think it might be something to try. Thankfully, I have a huge purse! I used to carry tiny purses to avoid the strain, but not since this fissure. I don't know what you men do in these situations!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Hyiene away from home/public restrooms

Postby Elphie » 21 Apr 2011, 19:57

This is what I did in the beginning" beware; too much info!"
I carried a baby facecloth in a small freezer bag really wet so there's some water in the bag, and had tucks in my purse. In public, when u gotta go but can't bathe or shower, I would add warm to the baggie before going in the stall then after I'm done, would squeeze the warm water between my cheeks from behind, then dab with tucks, over and over til clean. It took awhile but it worked. That way, if u do need the soft cloth, u have one with you. After three kids I have so many baby washcloths I can just throw them out if need be. I hope you do get to go you and your husband deserve some fun after all you've been through!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 Apr 2011, 15:40

Hey Bambi - how are you doing? How is your husband?
Sorry for the delay replying to your post. I've had a few pretty bad pain days (screaming BMs, sobbing, medicating, sleeping is my routine right now). I understand what you mean about the acid BMs - that's how a second and third BM is for me. The first is usually more formed/mushy and painful, but ok. The others are a little more watery and man do they hurt! I don't even take any stool softeners!
I love Elphie's advice - I'll try that myself. I'm wondering if you might want to try firming up the stool a bit. I know that's scary, but perhaps the looser stools are irritating the tender tissue down there. Also, firmer stool is easier to control and you might find that there is less urgency. That's what I'm trying to do ... Achieving the perfect poop has become a bit of an obsession for me.
I hope you are doing ok and not suffering too much anxiety Image
Deleted User 579

Postby nimitor » 05 May 2011, 12:13

Hi Bambi, I haven't been on for quite a while but I am pretty good on ideas and tips now.
When I have to be out I take a small tupperware container with salted water and a soft cloth.I also have special wipes that I got from Amazon that are for piles but are good gentle cleansers.I take fybogel(UK supermarkets or prescription) instead of the reccommended stool softners as it makes things firmer but still soft.Make sure you dry the area as best you can and then smear Vicks Vapour rub(I know,trust me)around the anus.This works for me so I hope it helps xxx
nimitor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2