stitches after open LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

stitches after open LIS

Postby ss616 » 06 May 2011, 10:06

I have blue stitches on my open LIS incision site. It's day 14 now and they still seem strong as ever... the doc has mentioned they dissolve, however it doesn't look like that to me. Any advice on how long until they dissolve/fall off?
Luckily I do not have irritation nor pain from the site anymore. Just know that they are still there...
ss616
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: stitches after open LIS

Postby Savaici » 07 May 2011, 18:32

I would mention it to your doctor, just in case. Though they probably don't remember what the heck they put in! Sometimes the stitches can be stubborn.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: stitches after open LIS

Postby alpinestrawberry » 08 May 2011, 20:38

Prepare to make friends with those stitches, ha ha. They are probably not coming out without a fight! Mine lasted way too long. I forget exactly how long but it was more than a month.
The irony is that they told me not to take long baths right away after the surgery because it could dissolve the stitches too soon...and yet a month later I was spending hours in the tub and couldn't soak them out! Getting rid of them was a delicate procedure involving scissors and a mirror (yeah, I'm crazy like that, but there was a long hanger-downer stitch that had to go!).
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17