Pain seems unbareable

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Pain seems unbareable

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Jun 2011, 12:19

Hey Red, glad to hear you managed to find a different doc. The wait until July 7th will be worth it -- guaranteed. I don't even know a thing about the new doc, but there's no way he can be any more barbaric than your last one.
If you do pop a few oxycodones before you go in next time, just be sure to at least tell the doc though :) That way if you get any other kind of anesthesia, they'll know (A) to adjust the dose to avoid excessive respiratory depression, and (B) understand what reversal agents to use just in case you're too far under and they need to pull you back up.
I'd bet this other guy just does things the right way this time and it won't even be necessary though :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 579 » 16 Jun 2011, 13:06

Hey Redcharger! I really hope Dr. Sternthal works out well for you. He did strike me as a much more compassionate person than McKenna - he didn't seem to think that pain is a normal part of the surgery! Once you get past the needles, it should be smooth sailing from there.
We're counting down with you!
Deleted User 579

Postby RedCharger » 06 Jul 2011, 20:24

Well, tomorrow I finally get to see the CRS Hopetoheal had her follow up with after her LIS surgery. I'm hoping he does the LIS proceedure right then. I have had the worst day today. After a mid morning BM I had extreme pain all day. had to stay home from work yet again and spent most of it in bed. I took 4 baths, several muscle relaxers and pain pills with no relief. I am so sick of this!!!! If he doesn't do it I'm ready to find a back alley Doc with a rusty knife!...anything has to be better than living like this!!
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 579 » 06 Jul 2011, 21:55

I'm so sorry you are suffering so much, Redcharger. :(
Adam had a good experience with Dr Rudd, so at least we have good reason to believe that the other surgeons at the Rudd Clinic aren't at brutal as McKenna. I wish you good luck and I really hope your surgery goes well. Keep us posted. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending good vibes your way!
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 07 Jul 2011, 02:02

Best of luck for your surgery Redcharger, hope everything goes well.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 07 Jul 2011, 06:22

Thinking of you today RC. It will be over soon. The pain will go away after the surgery and you will be on your way to healing!
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2011, 12:11

Good Luck today RC. Hoping you get your LIS and get this over with.

Postby RedCharger » 07 Jul 2011, 15:42

Well, I'm a member of the club. Just had LIS and sitting in recovery. You were right Hopetoheal, Dr Sternthal is great. He didn't know I was coming in to have LIS and thought it was just a follow up appt. After explaining my story he asked a nurse to stay late and they did the proceedure. Even had Dr. Rudd, the head Doc assisting him. They both were great and it was reassuring knowing I had 2 so experienced on my case. My only complaint is I still feel having such an evasive proceedure done with just freezing is barbaric.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby adam » 07 Jul 2011, 16:16

Hey RC, congrats!! Wow, I thought I was lucky for having Dr. Rudd, but you got two of the best there!!! I do understand though you definitely deserved this special attention after what you had to deal with for so long, and having to deal with a doc that doesn't understand his patients which is one of the most important things of being any sort of doc.
But you must feel relieved you had two of the best CR surgeons probably in the country work on you!
Thankfully I so far haven't had the need to get LIS done so I don't know what it's like. But if it's any more pain of a fistula examination/surgery I would have to agree with being put to sleep first. I do trust Dr. Rudd though.
But I'm glad once again you had two of the best doctors there, and I'm sure it was the best quality surgery any of us could ask for, so that should ease your mind a bit!
But don't think it's gonna heal on it's own! I'm sure you know that.
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 579 » 07 Jul 2011, 16:56

Yay Redcharger!!!!! Image Image Image
I am so, very, very relieved that your surgery went well and that Dr. Sternthal was as gentle and compassionate as I thought he'd be. And Dr. Rudd himself too! I believe that the surgeons at that clinic are very good at what they do. My surgery definitely worked, even if it was unnecessarily brutal. I do agree with you, that ass surgery really should be done under a general - especially for a fissure, since that already hurts so bad it can make you pass out! I'm SO happy that you didn't have to deal with "Dr. Death" and I'm so grateful for this forum where we can share information about doctors. :D
You are right, Adam - you were VERY lucky to get Dr. Rudd! Butt surgery is already painful enough with only a local, but getting it done by a sadist is even worse!
I'm so happy for you Redcharger! Now you can focus on healing and getting your life back. Congratulations! Please take very good care of yourself and don't try to do too much too soon. :D
Deleted User 579