Pain seems unbareable

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Pain seems unbareable

Postby sidra1968 » 29 May 2011, 07:23

I know that kind of pain buddy. After my LIS I developed an infection at the incision site. After the first round of Flagyl (which from what I undertand is a very strong antibiotic), it still persisted.
So, in the CRS office, he tried to squeeze out the discharge. OMG, I literally POUNDED on his wall really hard and in quick successions (as I was on my left side and my strong right arm was free) and screamed such loud obsenities that he stopped. Then he kept wanting to lance it. NO f'n WAY!
I begged for one more round of thr antiobiotic and I "sqeezed" it on my own during baths. Luckily, it finally went away.
Other people just do NOT know what this is like. If I recall, years ago we had a guy on here that had been SHOT - and he said a fissure is WORSE!
I for one believe it.
Hope things can get moving ahead for you soon!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby RedCharger » 02 Jun 2011, 09:00

Wow, could the conservative methods actually work in my case!? That is the question I am asking myself......After six months of suffering severe pain after every bowel movement, today for the first time I have had only minor pain. Is this a rare occurrence or am I on the road to recovery? In the last six months I have tried two 4 week treatments of the Dilt with no success. About two and a half weeks ago after a failed attempt at getting LIS (read previous post for detail) my GP thought he would Rx me Nitro. Reluctant this would be any different I have still been applying it 3 times a day as directed. Today for the first time I have very little pain. Not completely gone but definitely not debilitating like usual. I am surprised that the Nitro would make a difference because the concentration is so low at only .2%. Also, I have not experienced the side effects of headaches many have reported so I didn't feel this stuff was working on me. I know, I know, it's a little premature to be jumping for joy, but it's the little things that keep you from jumping out a window some days!
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 579 » 02 Jun 2011, 12:50

Redcharger - that is exciting! I'm not going to make any cautionary comments, because you already know all that. I'll just say I'm so glad you have some relief from the pain finally! That is wonderful. And, hey, even if the nitro isn't the final cure, it is helping you now and is at least buying you time to make the arrangements for surgery if it comes to that. Great news! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Jun 2011, 17:31

Hey RC, it's definitely a bit early to toast to the demise of your fissure, but this is definitely excellent news! I tried all of the ointments (diltiazem, nifedipine, and nitroglycerin) and found nitro to be by far the most effective for me. I got throbbing headaches in the beginning but those subsided quickly.
As you already know, fissures can hide and then re-emerge, so it's certainly possible that you're just having a good day for whatever reason. But I think it's good to try nitro as I personally got a lot of mileage out of it.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby RedCharger » 03 Jun 2011, 06:28

Well your are probably right. I mean I shouldn't expect miracles. I did have a different experience though. I still had pain and it still lasted about 8 hours but has not as server as usual. I still think my only hope is LIS but the ointments might be aiding in a bit of minor relief in my case.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 03 Jun 2011, 07:51

I'm so glad the nitro is making a difference. i suspect you're right that ultimatey the LIS will be the answer. There are so many stories here about fissures healing and re-tearing - I think that was what happened to me. It just took a while to get a proper fissure diagnosis. I think Elphie mentioned that she thinks that her post-LIS healing is going well because she had already gotten a good start on healing the fissure with conservative methods before the surgery. If that's the case, nitro can only help!
I hope you're having a good day RC!
Deleted User 579

Postby RedCharger » 15 Jun 2011, 14:39

Well just an update. Still suffering with pain. I had a couple days of mild pain but unfortunately those are far and few. I went and saw my GP and he is trying to get me into a CRS but for now I just wait and suffer. I am going to try and call and see if I can get to see another doc at the Rudd and if they can attempt to do the procedure with just freezing again. This time before i go in I am going to take 2 or 3 oxy that I have so I don't flinch and cause them to abort the procedure because I am moving like last time. It's sad the desperate measures I am being forced into.......
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 Jun 2011, 14:55

wow Redcharger - I'm so sorry you are in this situation! Freakin' Canadian health system and our crazy wait-times!! Image
I had my follow-up app with Dr. Sternthal. He seemed much nicer and more compassionate than McKenna. He told me I shouldn't have felt anything during the surgery. Maybe he would be a good choice for you if you have to go to Rudd.
I'm so sorry you are still suffering! :(
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2011, 21:11

Redcharger,
My heart goes out to you. This is just so wrong!!
I wish you could see the other Dr. that Hope suggested.

Postby RedCharger » 16 Jun 2011, 11:58

Well I must made a appointment with Dr Sternthal at The Rudd Clinc who Hopetoheal had a good experience with. At first they tried to book me with McKenna again but i told them i needed to see someone else as i didnt feel his course of treatment was effective. They agreed to book me with Sternthal but unfortunately he can't see me till July 7. Oh well, I guess it's better than nothing.
RedCharger
Salt Bather