Pain seems unbareable

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Pain seems unbareable

Postby RedCharger » 21 May 2011, 19:33

Well no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to have a BM more than every other day, and sometimes every 2 days. Granted, I have only adjust my diet and supplements since seeing the CRS at Rudd last Monday and the discovery of this site afterwards. I have tried to combine a little of what the Doc said(high fibre, lots water) and what I have read on here that has worked for others. I am eating a bowl of bran flakes 2 times a day following up with 12 oz glass of water. I try to have at least six 8oz glasses of water on top of that throughout the day. I am taking 6 capsules of metamusil in the morning and before bed, again following up with water. Also, I am taking 1 dose of Restoralax (Canadian equivellant to Miralax I believe). Also eating lots of chicken and vegetables for dinner - although I cheated and had Chinese food with my daughter which although not anything spicy, I'm sure it might not be the best considering my situation. I have been appling the dilt ointment 3 - 4 times a day liberally, making sure it gets up there. So since last Mon I had a BM Wed and my usual pain filled day working from home. No BM thurs or fri and had one Sat late afternoon. Nice a fluffy and obviously a fair amount being so long between the last one. I dint have pain during the BM but usually 15-20 min after. Today was no exception. Although not as sever as Wed. Still a burning sensation with a pressure that feels like I have a golf ball in there. Is this pressure feeling similar to what others experience? It last for 4-6 hours although today both the pain was a little less and the pressure feeling only lasted about 2-3 hours. Im hoping this is a good thing. ......is the pressure feeling actually the sphincter in spasm? Or could this be another hemorrhoid like I have had before?
Again I thank everyone here for their efforts in supporting not only me but others who are suffering with this condition. You have truly made me feel like I am not alone.
Last edited by RedCharger on 22 May 2011, 07:51, edited 2 times in total.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Elphie » 21 May 2011, 20:08

I used to have that pressure too, I found out I have internal hemmeroids so they could cause swelling. It was hours before that I have to go feeling would go away. Although the restoralax helped with bleeding and pain during BM, but the all day burn never got better. Only the surgery finally helped.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby mbpaul » 22 May 2011, 12:37

I too had that sensation of pressure, especially while standing. Before my LIS, the CRS said that was probably due to hemorrhoids or infection . However, I had neither. Still not sure what caused it.
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sidra1968 » 22 May 2011, 15:06

NeuropathicGuy wrote:
NeuropathicGuy wrote:I always liked getting it inside the anus using a small oral baby syringe, but that was just personal preference.

And not to make light of the situation or anything, but man ... I hope no one ever reads just this one sentence from me and takes it out of context Image

Coffee. Now. On. Monitor.
lmao
NG - I love you, man!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 May 2011, 10:55

Hey Redcharger - I also had the pressure feeling, but the doc didn't mention hemorrhoids or infection ... and the sensation has disappeared since my LIS, so I'm thinking it was probably pretty strong spasms.
How are you doing? (And how is your May-24 weekend going, eh?)
I hope you are having a good day today.
Deleted User 579

Postby RedCharger » 23 May 2011, 18:09

Well it hasn't been one of the better holidays..... I spent another day in pain after my mid-morning BM. I know it has been only a week since I have been applying the Dilt and changed my diet, I was hoping however if this course of treatment was going to work it would at least have started to minimize the intensity of these somewhat already.
Tomorrow I am calling the Rudd Clinic to see when I can get in for LIS. I can`t wait another 4 weeks to find out this ointment isn`t working and have to schedule the surgery then.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Postby sidra1968 » 23 May 2011, 19:03

I agree, call tomorrow first thing. Almost all of us come to a point where we just "know" LIS must be at least considered.
Hope you feel better RedCharger, I know how upsetting this all is. OTOH, in a way I was glad when I didn't feel better because then I knew I had NO choice but to demand the LIS - the decision was a no-brainer at that point.."Surgery or death!" became my humorous motto to get me through.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby RedCharger » 23 May 2011, 19:38

Man I am glad I found this place to help me through days like today....and thanks sidra1968 for the encouragement! Makes me feel there is hope to get through this.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Postby sidra1968 » 23 May 2011, 20:04

Glad to help. I remember being exactly at the point you are now. I know you will get to the other side eventually.
I remember suffering through a 4-night, 4th of July vacation and laying in the hotel bathtub wondering "WTF? Why is this happening to me?" and coming close to tears of frustration (and believe me, I am ANYTHING but a crier!)
Again though, I mean it when I say I was actually relieved when I got worse because then all was settled in my mind. I figured if they can re-attach body parts and fix people up after devastating accidents, etc., then they HAD to be able to take care of a simple cut in the butt basically.
...and then I literally marched into a CRS office and told him "surgery or death." I told him that if he didn't agree to LIS then "I'll keep driving till I find someone who will or I'm going to jump in front of a Amtrak train, now you don't want that on your head now do you?" I was only half-kidding.
I figured desperate times call for desperate measures... it worked.
Long story short, I was in for the LIS 3 days later and haven't looked back since.
The recovery can be long and I even got an infection at the incision site like 3 weeks afterwards that withstood one round of Flagyl! Then I had to do round TWO, but NOTHING, I say NOTHING compared to the "passing broken glass" and "hot poker" feeling from the af. And i doubt anything ever will.
I still say to this day that if they really want the terrorists to talk, just give them an anal fissure and they'll be singing like a canary in no time. LOL
I know it's so tough, but we are here for ya and you will get through this. All of us are living proof!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 24 May 2011, 07:58

Hey Redcharger - I definitely know what you area talking about. I tried the dilt for almost 4 weeks and was more than ready for the surgery by the end of it. I doubt you will have to worry much about delays booking the surgery. I got my LIS the day of my follow-up appointment 4 weeks after the doc gave me the dilt. The Rudd docs are quite prepared to do the procedure then and there, so be ready! I really, really hope you can get sedated. I admit I'm a real whimp, so others can probably handle just a local better than I could, but I think you should do everything you can to get sedation. Also, ask for pain-killers - they will say you won't need them, but it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
I think I can also reassure you that you will likely get a good operation. That is, I'm doing much better than before the surgery. I'm 2 weeks out and I'm still a little sore and there is still a bit of blood with the odd BM, but the horrible burning, throbbing pain is gone and I'm not passing broken glass anymore Image Also, no incontinence problems so far and I do feel like I am healing.
I definitely understand that you've reached the point where there has to be an immediate solution. I was there myself. I was living on Robaxecet. I hope you are having a better day today and good luck with your Rudd appointment - please keep us posted!
Deleted User 579