My fissure and LIS story

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: My fissure and LIS story

Postby William2 » 01 Mar 2017, 12:15

Thanks for checking in.

Not great. I've been working from home so I can avoid driving and sitting, and I've been able to keep the BMs reasonably soft, but I don't really feel like I'm making progress (the doctor said it looked about the same as a month ago when I went last Friday). About every 2-3 days, I get some sharp pain and a tiny bit of blood when I go. I've pretty much reached the limit of being able to stay home from work without jeopardizing my job (and health insurance), and I'm afraid that going back will make things worse quickly. The nifedipine is keeping things loose, but I'm not healing. I probably need to find an non "-caine" pain killer so I can function normally until the eventual surgery.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Postby William2 » 02 Mar 2017, 07:42

Much worse today. Dreading the BM. Nothing I do seems to help. I can't deal with this.
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mmklinemm » 02 Mar 2017, 20:26

I'm sorry to hear that. What is your doctor suggesting?
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby William2 » 03 Mar 2017, 06:22

His (and my) plan is to keep on the nifedipine a little longer and if that doesn't work botox.

The problem with my healing is that the first part of my BMs can be a little hard, even if the rest isn't. The sets me back every few days, even if I'm doing everything right.

I'm feeling a bit better today. Even though I missed a BM yesterday, I had a really good one today. It was probably a combination of glycerin suppository, part of a senna tablet, and an extra colace. I was in full panic mode yesterday when I couldn't go, but am now very relieved. I'm tempted to use a glycerin suppository every night so soften up the front of the BM in the morning.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mmklinemm » 03 Mar 2017, 09:31

There's nothing wrong with using the suppositories if they help. When my first fissure was in that excruciating stage, I would freak out, too, when I didn't go each day. I read about Kondremul Lubricant Laxative on this forum and it was extremely helpful. It softens everything and makes it easier to pass. I think you can find it at places like Walgreens, CVS, etc. I would take a tablespoon or so on the nights when I didn't have a BM that day.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby William2 » 05 Mar 2017, 08:25

I can't take the Kondremul because it has mineral oil and I'm currently taking Colace (a big interaction no-no).

I've had a few decent days. I just started doing the "squat" thing (with a stool in front of the toilet, but still sitting). I think that helps. I was actually able to sit comfortable for a while yesterday.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 12 Mar 2017, 07:35

It's hard to tell if I'm improving. I'll have a great day, then a bad day. I think the trend is very slow towards getting better, but I'm not 100% sure. The nifedipine has kept the spasms/cramps mostly under control, but the healing just doesn't seem to be happening. If I'm not having many cramps with the medicine (as long as I don't spend much time sitting), I'm not sure what more surgery would do for me.

I went to work Monday and Tuesday. Monday was very uncomfortable, but Tuesday was great (even though my BM that morning was harder than I'd like). Wednesday was a really bad day, with a bad BM to start. I stayed home the rest of the week. Friday and Saturday were pretty good days, though. My BM this morning left the fissure site sore, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do today. All I know is that I can no longer afford to avoid going to work. I just have to deal with it. I wish I could find a good full-chair seat heater that can plug into the wall (instead of just a car cigarette lighter).

I started using coconut oil last night. I just put a little bit on the outside and slightly inside. It made me feel more "pliable" down there, but that didn't help my BM this morning.

I finally have an appointment with a therapist this week. The last time that I had a fissure, there was a six-month period where I thought about suicide every day. I haven't gotten to that point yet this time, and hopefully it will heal before I do.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 19 Mar 2017, 12:23

This past week was pretty close to a "ditto" of the previous week. Went to work Monday and had an ok day, but started getting spasms that night and had to use a suppository to have a BM on Tuesday (a really bad day). Wednesday-Friday were ok, but I ended up staying home anyway. I had a string of good days until today (Sunday), when the BM aggravated the fissure. It's not bad, but I have a "thumb tack up my butt" feeling with localized soreness.

I feel like I'm doing everything right, which is keeping spasms to a minimum, but I'm still not healing. I bought a desk riser so that I can stand while working, so I'll hopefully be able to be at work every day this week.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 24 Mar 2017, 15:26

Good news, I think. My CRS couldn't find the fissure with a visual exam today.

I have been starting to feel better. I've had over a week of soft BMs (thank you, avocados!), and haven't seen blood in weeks. There is still discomfort, and I have occasional spasms/cramps (on Wednesday morning, I couldn't have a morning BM because of one) but they are rare. Driving wasn't too uncomfortable this week. I certainly don't feel as fragile anymore.

Hopefully, if I continue with my current routine, I'll continue to heal.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 08 Apr 2017, 16:18

I had some difficulty over the past two weeks with pain after walking without something to lubricate "down there". I tried lotion (it stung!) and coconut oil (better, but not helpful after absorbed). I saw my CRS again and, as last time, he didn't see my fissure (or any granulomas). However, he did see a small hemorrhoid that may be the culprit. I'm not sure what caused it (the nifedipine?) since I almost never get those anymore. I'm trying petroleum jelly for lube.

So, it seems that the news is good. The fissure hasn't been visible for at least two weeks, and I really haven't had much in the way of fissure symptoms during that time. I just have to deal the the hemmy for a while. I'll keep with my medicine and diet routine for a few more weeks and then slowly taper off the medicine.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist