Just back to b*tch.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Just back to b*tch.

Postby alpinestrawberry » 03 Jun 2011, 06:56

I wasn't going to make a separate post about this. I don't want to discourage anyone who's considering or just had the surgery. Don't get me wrong, the surgery has helped me greatly and I'd do it all over again--in fact I may have to. It's been about two months since surgery and I retore once about a month afterwards, and again three days ago. It's just a small, single 12:00-ish tear, in the exact same place both times. The first retear healed really fast but this one's taking a bit longer, although I think it's getting better. I've always liked Jen's story, and I'm hoping that these episodes just taper off and fade away over a year's time, like they did for her.
But I was really afraid I'd need two surgeries all along, because my surgeon admitted he's conservative with his cuts. And it looks like I might have been right about that. The tear also happens to be sort of opposite of where the incision was made, so it makes me think he needs to cut the other side too. I think my rear is still plenty tight, because I don't have any incontinence (not even to raging diarrhea!) or any of the minor leakage that others have mentioned. Hopefully I can just pile on the Miralax and nitro and get this f***er to heal on it's own, but I'm not going to tolerate more than a year of occasional retears before I do the surgery again. I just don't want this pain anymore, and while certain aspects of visiting the CRS's office and getting the surgery done are unpleasant, living with this indefinitely is more unpleasant.
I can see all the positives in my situation though, at least. I've got a great surgeon, I know exactly what to expect from surgery, and I've got this forum. Whatever happens, I'm so glad you all are here to support and sympathize with me. You guys have got my back(side)!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Just back to b*tch.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 03 Jun 2011, 08:00

Oh Alpine! That sucks! After all you've done to heal - man, I'm disappointed for you. Image
I think you've got a great attitude about it. You may need a second surgery, and people have had that done successfully, so there is most certainly a good chance you will still heal. It sucks that you may have to work harder at the healing, but it will happen!
Are you using any ointments? Do you think you might be able to finish the job that way?
I really hope you heal very soon! Whatever you have to go through to get that little f***er healed, we are here for you
Deleted User 579

Postby New mum » 05 Jun 2011, 00:04

nice to hear from you again alpine, but it sucks that you are going going to well. but just remember you are only 8 weeks out thats still not a long time. I do understand where you are coming from, from about 3 weeks out of Lis i thought the same thing the cut was not enough and now 7months on i am back on rectogesic and having spasms. like you i am not going to go over the yr mark.
Are you having any spasms???
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Elphie » 05 Jun 2011, 21:26

I'm sorry alpine, I hope it heals fast like the last time and that you don't have to do another surgery but remember, it wasn't that bad, not as bad as we thought, anyway, it all takes time. I hope you're not in too much pain this time around, but if you are, we will happily listen to your b*tching because we get it and we have to b*tch sometimes too! Image
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby alpha » 06 Jun 2011, 08:42

Did u have LIS only? Or LIS+fissurectomy?
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Maurice » 06 Jun 2011, 20:54

Aww, Alpine! :( So sorry to hear that. I hope it's just something temporary and you don't have to go back through the procedure, but you're right about knowing what to expect if you do. I wish you the best, and quick healing. *hugs*
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby alpinestrawberry » 08 Jun 2011, 22:35

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm better for the moment at least, but of course I don't trust my butt. I'm taking the Miralax and using up my tube of nitro, which is still very effective despite being 8 months old now. Of course it was the 2% nitro, not the .2%, so it was powerful stuff to begin with.
I'm hanging in there, I could probably continue as is for a long time. It's just the unknowns that get you down, like wondering whether I'm just still healing and not quite 100%, or is it going to become a pattern that leads to another surgery?
Oh well, can't let it ruin my summer, now can I? Actually at the moment I'm more stressed because my 5 year old misplaced my keys today. Image
Hope everyone is doing well around here!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Deleted User 579 » 09 Jun 2011, 06:31

Hey Alpine! I'm so glad you are doing better now. Image
I really hope the nitro works to get you over that last hump. It seems that that has happened to some of the folks here before. Are you in pain?
I completely understand about the anxiety and not trusting your butt. I'm still struggling with the anxiety disorder I developed from all this and I'm working hard to restore a good relationship with my ass. It isn't easy!
You've got a really great attitude and I'm sure you are going to heal and have a great summer. I'm sending healing vibes your way! Image
ps. I hope you find your keys!
Deleted User 579