Anal Fistula...confused and worried...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal Fistula...confused and worried...

Postby bellasmommy1985 » 11 Jun 2011, 22:43

Hi. I am a 25 year old single mother living in Joplin, Missouri. I had never had an abscess or a boil until I gave birth to my daughter 16 months ago. Since that time, I have had many, with one turning into an anal fistula. I went to the ER riddled with pain and was told I had a fistula. I met with a surgeon, who assured me this was a routine operation and that I would be in and out of surgery and back to normal in no time. I woke up from surgery to learn that my fistula was opened up partially but that some of it could not be opened as it went through some bowel muscles? I have a seton placed and the surgeon told my mom this is to cut through the muscle slowly. I am really confused about the whole thing, I am not sure what the surgeon has done or what is next in store for me. I have tried to look up what kind of fistula I have in order to gain some understanding of what comes next. I have not been successful with finding much information other than just basic things copied and pasted from one website to another. I am due to see my doctor early next week for a "tightening" of my seton and while I can't find any other information on it, I have read time and again that it is terribly painful. I am so scared and worried, I just would like some idea of what has happened to me and what could be happening next. I appreciate any insight anyone can provide, and I really appreciate ya'll taking the time to stop and read this. God Bless.
bellasmommy1985
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Anal Fistula...confused and worried...

Postby val » 12 Jun 2011, 13:28

Hi Bellasmommy,
so sorry you're in pain. Image I have the exact same as you and I am having the seton placed on wednesday. Image Image
I had a fistula before that was just laid open - they basically just cut it and leave it to heal. If the fistula has tracked through the sphincter muscle then to cut it would leave you incontinent, so they insert a seton to slowly cut it - like a cheese wire through cheese. Then they tighten it so that the track closes behind it.
Before you get it tightened take some painkillers about half hour beforehand and soak in a sitz bath to ease the pain afterwards.
There isn't much info anywhere about this - I googled for ages and just read horror stories which upset me. I did find a website called Fistula friends, but I cant remember how I got to it!
Was it a painful operation? I'm totally freaking out about it!
Welcome to the forum - this is a problem that is so much better shared with people who understand butt-troubles!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby bellasmommy1985 » 12 Jun 2011, 14:35

Val,
Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it! It is such a scary thing to go through, and equally embarassing!
I would love to know if you ever remember the fistula friends website. That is exactly what I have found, very little information and tons of horror stories with no real factual info.
I have been kind of been dealt a double whammy as well, because of all of the trauma and chaos in my town right now it's hard to get any attention from the medical profession that isn't tornado related, which is crazy! lol
The surgery itself wasn't bad. I was in quite a bit of pain upon waking from the surgery, but compared to the horror stories of others I've read either they are really dramatic or I got off easy :D Don't get me wrong, I've definitely had some uncomfortable/painful moments here and there but overall it really hasn't been too bad. Having said that, I do have to say that my doc did give me Percocet, which I have been taking about 6 a day (hard to be in pain when you're that drugged up!) as well as some lidocaine, thermazene and stool softeners. I would absolutely recommend the lidocaine and obviously the pain pills. The lidocaine really helps in keeping it from constantly throbbing.
My greatest concern at this point is 1. The tightening ( I can't help but to just about have a panic attack simply thinking about it) and 2. What happens next? Does he wait for the seton to cut through and remove it and thats it or am I looking at the possibilities of more surgery?
I am so glad you replied, it's nice to know I'm not the only one worried and willing to share info in the hopes of gaining more!!
God Bless!
bellasmommy1985
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 12 Jun 2011, 15:34

Hi Val and Bellasmommy. Just thought that I would post two links with the hope that they might be of some help. It does mention 'Fistula Friends Meet Here'. Em
http://www.ibdsupport.org/forums/forum/64-fistula-support/
http://www.ibdsupport.org/forums/topic/91309-new-fistula-friend/
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Deleted User 579 » 12 Jun 2011, 16:48

Hi Bell - welcome! I am so sorry you have to be here, but it's good that you came here. There are many great people here who will offer lots of support and advice.
You poor thing! You really did get a double-whammy! All this on top of a tornado. Oh my gosh. I'm so glad that you are not in too much pain. You're very brave! I really hope you heal quickly and your recovery goes as well as can be.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing - we are here for you as you recover and get well again. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 13 Jun 2011, 09:50

Hi Savaici, thanks for the links - I dont know how to post links! It was on the same IBD group that I was reading about fistula friends, it was very informative, but still some scary stories, but some good info too.
Hi Bella - it must be awful for you to have all those extra problems too, sorry to hear that.
Sometimes the seton will just cut through on its own and fall out, but more than likely they will wait until it is a low fistula- ie below the muscle, and then lay it open. That shouldn't be much of a problem, I've had that op and it isn't too terrible. Try not to worry about the tightening- stressing will make it more painful, relaxing will help a lot.
Hope you feel better soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Savaici » 13 Jun 2011, 10:51

Hi Val,
When I do a link, I just copy and paste from the URL. You just rest your 'arrow' on it, click ctrl and A, then click ctrl and C, then when you want to pass the link on, just press ctrl and V, wherever you want to put it on the post or page. Hope my explanation is comprehensible!. That should do it.
Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222