Any tips for final external healing?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Any tips for final external healing?

Postby Bambi » 12 Jun 2011, 01:04

Hi all. Sorry to have been absent for a while. I am still having issues with the spot where the skin tag was removed. I am almost at 4weeks post LIS. The spot is still so sensitive especially if I have a looser poop. I have been using A and D as a barrier and Calmoseptine some as well. I find myself wondering if I should use cortisone there for a week or so or aloe. Still really anxious about trying anything new down there. Wish I could fly down to Cozumel for a few days,swim in the salt water and buy some of that ointment people have talked about, but that is not in the cards. Any thoughts? Tired of the annoyance and ready for complete normalcy...
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Any tips for final external healing?

Postby Deleted User 579 » 12 Jun 2011, 09:45

Hi Bambi! I'm so sorry you are still struggling with that dern skin tag! I seem to be struggling with mine a bit too. It was bleeding a bit for the last week or so, and now it's raw and sore. I really sympathize! I wouldn't put cortizone on it - maybe aloe would help. I also found a website called
And another website called "MexToYou" that also sells it markets Sufrexal (http://otc.mextoyou.com/) but I honestly don't know if this website is trustworthy.
I have recently also been looking into a med called sucralfate (one of the boardies mentioned being given this a while ago)
http://journals.lww.com/dcrjournal/Abstract/2011/06000/Topical_Sucralfate_Treatment_of_Anal_Fistulotomy.10.aspx
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20133311
I don't know if this will help, but maybe you can ask your doctor about it.
I really hope you feel better soon, Bambi!
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 12 Jun 2011, 10:35

Hi Bambi,
I'm sorry to hear you are still having a little trouble. I wish I knew of something that was safe to put down there and would promote the final stages of healing. I still get annoyed with the irritation and have some trouble keeping that area clean. I too have been using the A&D ointment and some vaseline.
I have a aloe plant in my yard. I used it during my fissure days and I'm thinking about trying that again to help speed up things to complete. I feel like I'm going to stay at 99% and I want the 100% to come on, Lol
ps... I thought you were more like 4 months post LIS, not 4 weeks?!

Postby val » 12 Jun 2011, 13:46

When my skin tag was in the final stages of healing I soaked in Savlon or salt in the bath then used Germolene with local anaesthetic, as it calmed down the pain a little, and it is an antiseptic.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Bambi » 12 Jun 2011, 18:25

Hi Dawn- haven't seen you on here for a while! And you are right, I meant 4 months, not weeks.
Thanks for the thoughts on this- I agree Dawn, I feel I am around 90% and want that 100% too. I feel like things are getting better, with some days things just getting irritated a little more. But maybe less consistently so?
Val- I will have to look those things up- I wonder if they are available in the US or maybe under a different name. I will check that out and the other things mentioned as well.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 30 Jun 2011, 21:02

big hugs bambi!
i know your 100% is near......
just keep at it! as you know, you got ups and downs...but don't let the downs take you way down!
that skin tag is a little tricky in healing but it will!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bambi » 01 Jul 2011, 10:05

Hey Happy! Glad to hear from you-
I'm almost afraid to say it, because things are still up and down, but the last few days I have been more at 95% and getting much closer to "normal". I have stopped washing off with my gentle soap after every bowel movement. Just the once in the shower in the morning. I also have gone back to putting on vaseline first if I can and then after, before the shower, I started using Balneol and I have to say that has been useful stuff for me. I have some in my purse as well. Then about an hour after the BM, I still tend to have some leakage and use the Balneol and a wipe and then jump in my tub filled with lukewarm or cool water and splash off rather than directly directing the water up there. I have a great squirt bottle I found at the checkout counter at Whole Foods I keep in my purse for this purpose out and about. And then I have been putting a very thin coating of Vaseline on very gently after the final cleanup. I think part of my problem was some dryness from my time of life (Darn that age 57 stuff!) that may have made it a little harder for me (not to mention living at a high altitude!). Thanks for the continuing encouragement and I hope you are doing great!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist