Dilation - any tips?

Anal Dilation

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Dilation - any tips?

Postby Hazey123 » 03 Jun 2023, 09:40

I’m new to dilation following recommendation by my CRS to do this twice per day for 10 mins each time with a dilator. He tells me I need to breathe and relax my internal muscles while dilating. The difficulty I have is taking it out slowly and controlled without shooting it out!! I’m supposed to control its exit and I find this hard to do. Sometimes I can and sometimes it just gets ejected!! Breathing in deep and out helps but not always. I tend to get the dilator in then just keep it there for ten mins relaxing as much as possible. My CRS wants me to repeatedly insert it and fully take it out during these ten min sessions but I find this SO hard to do. What are your experiences from anyone that has found success or otherwise with dilation. Did you just insert and leave it in for a period of time? How long til you noticed improvements? I’m at six weeks dilation and have less pain than I’ve felt for 18 months altho way off “normal” if I can remember what that even feels like.
AF following skin tag surgery Feb 2022
GTN ointment
sigmoidoscopy & EUA Sept 2022 no fissure found
2nd opinion Jan 2023 fissure diagnosed, diltiazem - allergic
recommended Botox Fissurectomy
3rd opinion - dilation 2x per day plus GTN ….
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: Dilation - any tips?

Postby GrrrAF » 03 Jun 2023, 10:24

Hi Hazey123,

Be interesting to hear others experiences; you already know mine:) Think of it this way, how long you been tight months? so it is going to take some time to untighten; won't be instant fix. You have shown progress so it will continue with more treatments. The ejection you describe I believe is what yourfriendlyproctologist describes in his videos as 'death grip' and I have felt with my finger very strong! and during BMs but no longer. Remember the hours you are not dilating keep doing belly breathing aka diaphragm breathing; you need to break tightening habit not just during BMs and dilation, but all waking hours!
GrrrAF
Fibre Addict

Postby Hazey123 » 03 Jun 2023, 11:56

Haha the death grip!!! So true. I must watch these videos. You are so right tho GrrrAF it will take a while to change but I’m already taking your advice and breathing heavily everywhere and anywhere ;) but actually consciously relaxing makes you realise you live in a state of tension mostly. Problem is when I relax I need to pee!! But I just go to the toilet more often now so I can relax more in the pelvic area. Thanks for all your support it helps xx
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Postby AF3 » 03 Jun 2023, 18:39

GrrrAF wrote:Hi Hazey123,

Be interesting to hear others experiences; you already know mine:) Think of it this way, how long you been tight months? so it is going to take some time to untighten; won't be instant fix. You have shown progress so it will continue with more treatments. The ejection you describe I believe is what yourfriendlyproctologist describes in his videos as 'death grip' and I have felt with my finger very strong! and during BMs but no longer. Remember the hours you are not dilating keep doing belly breathing aka diaphragm breathing; you need to break tightening habit not just during BMs and dilation, but all waking hours!

Hi GrrrAF - thank you for the @yourfriendlyproctologist - in the space of 10 minutes, he answered questions by CRS never thought to, over one year of consultations!!
AF3
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Hazey123 » 04 Jun 2023, 01:59

Yourfriendlyproctologist is brilliant thank you GrrrAF!
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Postby GrrrAF » 05 Jun 2023, 08:18

hi Hazey123,

Re peeing during relaxation thats good! means you are truly relaxing:) I have the urge to pee too usually just during sitz baths maybe cause warm water promotes? More you practice belly breathing will become more natural habit and easier so not a separate thought to just do during BMs and dilation. Now after months, I notice myself doing without thinking; also try when you first wake up and as you fall asleep. We are ~ same age I think? so means we have been tense long time years decades? i know case with me just never noticed until too late- fissure was realization!!! also we athletic you would think it is healthier; true, only if not butt clenching during active sports & exercises but think I been clenching long time and bum finally had enough and seized up!! Search for other videos by physiotherapists really experienced ones will show exercises and and one of those pelvic anatomical skeletons with muscles; learned so much from them rather than PT appointments. It really helps to make sense of the condition when one understand the anatomy and mechanics.
GrrrAF
Fibre Addict