Water and Movicol

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Water and Movicol

Postby val » 19 Jun 2011, 01:38

I've only just started taking movicol since the surgery and the instructions say to drink lots of water - I suppose like a lot of these laxatives it can cause a blockage if not enough fluids are taken. But how much is enough?? How much does anyone else drink?
I've been having 2 - 3 litres a day, but peeing every 15 minutes!!! That's fine while I'm laid up and dear hubbie is doing everything for me, but once I enter the real world again, it's not going to be practical to live in the loo!
Thanks in advance!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: Water and Movicol

Postby Daisy1026 » 19 Jun 2011, 02:04

Hi Val,
I use movicol too and most days I drink 2-3 litres... Also running to the loo every 15 mins with that amount... Lately because we have gone into winter here I've only been managing 1 to 1.5 a day and have not had any problems don't really notice a difference, no blockages or anything like that. :)
Daisy1026
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Jun 2011, 02:14

Hey Val,
I used to drink 8-10 cups (US cups, not metric cups) of water a day with my full dose of Miralax. I think that translates to somewhere between 2 and 2.5 liters. I'd try to keep most of the water consumption to my evening hours since it made me pee clear urine every few minutes too!
One thing to note is that a full dose of Miralax here in the States is 17 grams. I think I recall a full dose in Europe being a bit lower at maybe 13 or 14 grams? I don't know if I'm remembering that correctly, so double check me there.
Anyway personally I don't feel that 2-3 liters of water a day is required for Miralax to be effective, especially if your diet is already fissure friendly. Even before LIS, I eventually cut down on the amount of water I was drinking and doing so didn't make things any worse. Stool still stayed nice and soft so long I consumed a reasonable amount, say maybe 1 liter per day? IMO it depends a lot on the diet: if you eat a lot of fruits and veggies, don't stress the water bit too much. If you eat a lot of processed foods or meats, then increased water consumption becomes more important.
Miralax seems to be one of those things that people have very individual responses to. So this is of course IMO only.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby val » 19 Jun 2011, 02:27

Thanks Daisy and NG!
I'm glad it's not just me with that reaction to the water!
I wanted to go back on my low carb diet tomorrow, but that means cutting out the fruit, so I reckon I'll have to keep up the massive amount of water! Yuk!
That's a good idea NG, drinking it all at nightime. I'll try that - thanks!
val
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Jun 2011, 04:47

Hey Val, ya I'd take my Miralax as a post-dinner dose, then go for broke on water. But instead of peeing every 15 minutes through the day, I'd end up peeing maybe every 5-10 minutes for the entire evening! Image It did the trick, though, and I definitely know what you mean about not being able to go answer nature's call all the time at work and while out and about and what not.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby dexterdude » 21 Jun 2011, 04:02

Hmm...the pharmacist told me to take one satchel with 125ml water, no more no less. I asked him specifically if I shouldn't be drinking more water "around" it and he told me not really. So I drink water normally throughout the day and then have the 125ml glass before going to bed. Worked fine so far.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby val » 21 Jun 2011, 11:39

That would be great if it does work with less water - I'm sick of feeling waterlogged! Image (not pregnant, just bloated LOL!)
val
King Fissure