My Post LIS Journal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My Post LIS Journal

Postby alx » 26 Jun 2011, 17:25

Well since the only thing on my mind is this terrible problem, i may as well keep a journal of my recovery (fingers crossed).
Im a male, 26, in good shape and good health (with exception to the obvious).
Suffered for 13 months with a nasty fissure. It started when i lived in Zurich for one year and was reduced to a very unusual diet of dairy, cheese, chocolate, bread and not all that much water. I could deal with the fissure until the spasms started, then it was game over. After BM the spasms would induce unbearable pain for 6-12 hours depending on...well I never really understood why some spasms lasted longer than others. The spasms made me realize that this problem can absolutely ruin your life and it must be dealt with.
In an effort to get well ive tried nifedipine, 800$ worth of botox, fasting, high fiber, you name it; even had my very amazing girl-friend try to Dermabond (skin glue) the external part of the fissure back together (I was desperate). In the end surgery was the only option and now it has been five days since having the LIS.
The LIS was a breeze. I was not in any pain after but, as you can expect, nervous about the first BM. 2 days after I had my first BM and was surprised by how much less it hurt compared to pre LIS. The sharp axe-pick like pain of the fissure was gone and no longer did I feel like I was going to pass out on the toilet (yes that happened once).
After LIS the first few BMs caused an internal aching/discomfort difficult to pinpoint. The pain was manageable and I didn't take painkillers in an effort to avoid even the slightest constipation. Now, five days after the LIS I am experience extreme discomfort after BM as a result of spasms. Other members on this message board have recommended Valium, a hefty and addictive muscle relaxant, to remedy the spasms and set me on track for recovery. Tomorrow I am going to see my Dr and try to get some meds. I want nothing more than for these horrific spasms to go away. Today the pain lasted 6 hours after my BM and nothing seemed to help other than laying on my side in bed and not moving a muscle. Things are grim now but I hope they will get better. Up until today I really did feel that I was on track to recovery.
group hug
alx
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: My Post LIS Journal

Postby Savaici » 26 Jun 2011, 18:07

Sorry you're in such pain. I haven't had LIS, and can see you are taking note of what others have experienced after the surgery, but just want to tell you that all of us here, LIS or not, know what you're going through. Valium sounds the correct route to take as it has definitely helped others with what sounds like the same problems after the surgery. Also, expect you have read what others have written about Sitz baths and so on. Lots of posts with lots of advice. Hope you see an improvement very soon, and great that you are keeping a journal. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Elphie » 26 Jun 2011, 19:10

I'm sorry you're still hurting, I was prescribed a less addictive form of Valium called oxazepam which really helped before and after. Also, after sitting on a heating pad constantly for a year, I used a bag of frozen peas after surgery for about a week, after BM and whenever I had stinging. The cold really helped with the swelling. Good luck, I hope you get those spasms under control so you can heal!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2011, 22:48

Alx,
I was only prescribed 2 weeks worth of valium. That's all I needed. I've never taken another one since. I doubt my CRS would have gave me another Prescription if I would have wanted it.
Addiction happens when it's taken for an extended period of time. Many people on this forum have taken valium short term and stopped. Just like pain killers after surgery...It was for temporary relief and it does stop the spasms for many.
Unfortunately one person on this board became addicted to it, but he took it for an extended period of time, I believe a year before having his LIS to deal with the spasms.
A couple of weeks or less isn't going to cause an addiction in my opinion.
Who knows, your CRS may not even prescribe it. Some don't. A couple of people on here took the warm baths, etc and waited it out until the spasms went away. I took the valium and got instant relief. I had no problems when I stopped taking it. Image
I hope you get some relief soon. I know it can be very painful especially right after surgery to be going through this. Hopefully your CRS will have a solution at your appointment.

Postby dexterdude » 27 Jun 2011, 00:01

Also, why not take painkillers? Not all are constipating or addictive. I would suggest you take a good painkiller + movicol to soften the stool, which will more than counteract any constipating effects. Many people here have done this with great results.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby alx » 27 Jun 2011, 21:15

First off, thanks everyone for your help and support. I appreciate the feedback and hope this journal can help others as well as allow me to channel my anxiety and frustrations.
I was prescribed Valium today and have now taken two doses as well as had a very easy BM a few hours earlier. Things are looking up, pain is significantly reduced although not completely gone - as expected. The muscle is moderately tight but nothing like yesterday. I was only given a medium/mild dose of Valium so I can increase it if I feel it is necessary.
Im not one to make bold claims based off of just one experience. I need to give both the fissure and the Valium time before I can make any confident assertion.
To keep my stools soft I am taking sodium docusate and RestoraLax (MiraLax). This is working very well. I also use tons of water-based lubricant (KY jelly) right before my BM and have found this to help.
Thats it for now.
alx
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 27 Jun 2011, 22:09

Alx,
I am very happy to see you have had some improvements today!! And got some valium to help the spasms. You sound much better today:)

Postby dexterdude » 27 Jun 2011, 23:40

Way to go man, use those meds, that's what they're for. You'll see you'll get better in no time Image
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby alx » 03 Jul 2011, 12:26

It's now been 12 days since my LIS
For the first time in 8 months, I had a BM that was painless. Hooray for that. I am very excited and feel the burden of this nasty problem lifted from my shoulders. I still have a ways to go, but am showing massive signs of improvement.
The only slightly concerning issue at the moment is the duration between when I think 'I may have to go to the bathroom soon' and 'Holy crap I need to get to the bathroom immediately'. This duration is usually about 45 seconds. But, I still have 800$ of botox in my ass, I take 4 sodium docusates a day, 1 dose of Miralax today, ultra high fiber diet, and a ton of water. So my stools are very soft and slender, which may be adding to this issue. Anyone have any feedback on this?
Thanks again for your support.
alx
Fibre Addict

Postby alx » 03 Jul 2011, 12:27

Oh and I forgot to mention I am also taking Valium every day, which may also be having an effect.
alx
Fibre Addict