Pelvic floor tension

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pelvic floor tension

Postby Soreguy » 02 Jul 2011, 10:14

As some of you might know I have been on the path to recovery.
One symptom that has still hung around is the tightness and spasms which seems like it would cause a relapse.
The tightness has spread all around the glute region, pelvic floor, and a little bit of the lower back or upper glute area.
I am quiet surprised there isnt more talk about pelvic floor tension here, the pelvic floor muscles run from the pubic bone to the anus.
I have a lot of tension there from this whole ordeal and I have found the solution to be trigger point therapy, I think this might of been a good idea from the start.
The way I see it, if you have back tension do doctors prescibe muscle relaxants? no you go to a PT and they massage the knots out or release trigger points. I dont want to be taking valium/codeine/dilt for the tension which btw if I really need to atm my choice is codeine as its a muscle relaxant and pain killer without the harshness of valium or the side effects of dilt(insomnia).
Taking 2 ZMA caps which contains magnesium aspartate equiv to 300mg of elemental magnesium (if its a small magnesium pill its useless btw) has kept me regular as it works very similar to movicol but it is healthy.
So I have started doing trigger points on myself to help relax the whole area.
You can either go to a PT who does pelvic floor or you can try it yourself, I am doing the latter for the time being as I find the idea of it a bit akward.
If you would like to see how to do it yourself, instructions can be found here:
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWJwGvFDGLg
I also realise this is mainly seen as a female issue so excuse me if this is just common knowledge for the ladies, the whole concept of pelvic floor tension is new to me and it seems to me CRS' don't acknowledge it.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Pelvic floor tension

Postby FishBoi » 20 Jul 2011, 16:03

Hi Soreguy,
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been dealing on and off with AF for 12 years somewhat manageable for me to avoid surgery but it's becoming quite a nag. I feel there is some other underlying cause which causes my AF from time to time. I can go free for months or even 2 years and BAM! it comes back. I just recently found about pelvic floor on the Internet and now your post.
I agree, none of the CRS I've seen talked or even mentioned this. I read men can also have this problem so I might be one of the few. I feel tension on my lower back right above the tailbone area and I was also diagnosed with prostatitis a few years back by a urologist but went away with sitz bath. It seems like stress makes it worse and I think my muscles are tense down in that entire region below my waist and this prompts me to think I have Pelvic Floor Muscle issues.
The difficult part is to find a physician who specializes in this and can write me a prescription to get physical therapy to help relax the muscles. I'm tired of all the relaxant ointments and botox which are only temporary fixes. I'm in Los Angeles and if you or anyone can shed more light on this topic, I would really appreciate it.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Pelvic floor tension

Postby seawalker » 21 Jul 2011, 09:06

FishBoi,
I have really bad pelvic floor dysfunction.It began with a golf ball feeling in the rectum and I went so long without a proper diagnosis that now pretty much every pelvic muscle aches and is tight, erectile problems, urinary retention, i have it all. All the straining I was doing caused from tight pelvic floor muscles gave me a fissure and two inguinal hernias. I found Drs to be absolutely useless about PFD. They know nothing. Just have a doctor prescribe pelvic floor therapy for you. This is the best cure, and therapist are more knowledgeable about it. If you can, find the most experienced therapist in the area. I see one at Johns Hopkins University. I recommend educating yourself too. The two best books on the subject are A Headache In The Pelvis, and Healing Pelvic Pain. you can get them on Amazon.
seawalker
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4