7 weeks post-op (LIS)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

7 weeks post-op (LIS)

Postby noddzy » 17 Jul 2011, 06:34

Hello to all the kind folks here,
I had LIS done about 7 weeks ago, and my doctor said that the incision site was kept as an open wound to prevent infection. He also said that the wound can take 6 weeks - 3 months to heal (I guess depending on the individual).

I am about 7 weeks post-op, and the progress over the last 4 weeks or so has been very slow. I am still having pain while having a BM, and though the area does not have much inflammation now, I can feel pain/discomfort at the incision site when I sitting down. The pain is not bad enough to have painkillers, but I am aware of it throughout the day.
Reading all the accounts here, it seems that most people have the incision wound close to healing by this time-- so a bit worried that something is wrong with the healing process. There is also a peculiar burning feeling which comes and goes throughout the day, and as far as I can tell this is at the incision site. I think the original fissure site is *not* giving me any problems..
My doc recommended that I apply the nitro cream to allow the wound to heal faster-- so am doing that 2 times day. Is there any way I can tell that there is a abscess or fistula down there-- I am not having any fever or other symptoms and have a decent appetite. Is it just the fact that this is an open wound which takes time to heal and thus I need to be patient ?
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 7 weeks post-op (LIS)

Postby Guest » 17 Jul 2011, 09:13

Noddzy,
I have never heard that the LIS incision can take 3 months to heal. I wish I knew more about it. My incision didn't have stitches and I'm not sure how fast it closed but I don't remember feeling any burning although I have heard others mention discomfort with the LIS incision.
I am really just clueless about this Image
I know we all definitely heal differently and apparently I was one of the fast healers. I know it can take much longer for some.
Hopefully others who have had infection can describe the feelings that come with that. I think there would be some kind of drainage,or lump.
Don't get discouraged. If you read the older threads- it it can take some time for many to heal but they do in the end! There was a boardie named Jen who had a peculiar LIS incision and eventually went on to heal.

Postby seattlesounders » 17 Jul 2011, 09:55

Noddzy, I had LIS and a fissurectomy, and I'm at 4 weeks with symptoms similar to yours. Doc told me I'd be back at work in 3-5 days, I wish I'd got a more realistic expectatation like from your doc. I also worry about whether an infection is stopping me from healing faster, but doc says from what he can see and lack of fevers that is not the issue. Do you find the nitro cream helps? I haven't tried that. Anyway just wanted to put your mind at ease that others are in a similar situation to you.
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 17 Jul 2011, 15:37

Noddzy, I also had LIS and a fissurectomy, and I'm at 9 week and the wound is not healed yet. My CRS also said that the wound can take 6 weeks - 3 months to heal. I hope it will heal at the end of the day. My progress also over the last 4-5 weeks has been very slow. I only do not understand why do you need to take the nitro cream, if you had LIS. Do you have spasms up until now? And yes, we need to be patient.

Postby Guest » 17 Jul 2011, 17:12

Noddzy,
Did you have a fissurectomy or are you talking about the LIS incision?
The LIS incision is the cut made to loosen the internal sphincter. Fissurectomy shaves down the edges of your fissure(scar tissue) which basically gives you a new wound to heal and no doubt in my mind could take a few months to heal...

Postby noddzy » 17 Jul 2011, 19:54

As far as I am aware of, I only had a LIS...if there is a fissurectomy, there would be a wound at the 6 o'clock position where my fissure was I am guessing... I can feel the wound at the 3o'clock position where the incision was.
And yes, I think the nitro cream can help in the healing process..I think it has helped me a bit in the last couple of weeks.
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 17 Jul 2011, 20:23

Hey Noddzy,
I'm not sure if you already read this thread. There's a few under LIS incision in the search.
http://anal-fissure.org/t2422-lis-incision-site-pain?highlight=lis+incision

Postby noddzy » 17 Jul 2011, 20:24

Also Dawn, when you say I should be aware of a lump (for infection/fistula(?) etc) ...where would I expect a lump to be ..internally inside the rectum or external ? Internally, is it not normal to have some inflammation still ?
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 17 Jul 2011, 20:29

Honestly Noddzy,I am not sure. I never had an infection. Many of the ones I read about on here were on the outside, and I think they were draining pus/ blood.
NG developed and infection after LIS. You may want to research his threads. Adam, Val, and Hopetoheal have have more knowledge. They all have had fistula surgery recently. Hopefully they will come along soon and add more info.

Postby noddzy » 17 Jul 2011, 20:32

OK Thanks Dawn for the help with the threads :)
noddzy
Fibre Addict