Surgery tomorrow...I am so nervous

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery tomorrow...I am so nervous

Postby Jas » 27 Jul 2011, 19:16

Since dealing with my fissures I have become neurotic with my BM'S. I used to go 2-3 times a day before LIS. It seems since my surgery I don't go as much. Maybe this is a good thing, but I start freaking out when I don't go every morning the way I was used to. Anyone else have these crazy thoughts and focus too much on the BM.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby SummerGal » 27 Jul 2011, 22:54

Well, I haven't had surgery yet, but I am already focused on BM's due to my pain, so I can only imagine how I will be when I have surgery on Friday! I have been reading your posts Jas to get myself less nervous. I am glad your experience hasn't been too terrible. It gives me hope! I hope you keep moving forward in a positive way!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Jul 2011, 08:43

LOL - I'm sorry to laugh, but I think I would win any OCD prize for obsessing about BMs. I keep a record of what I've eaten and when, and when I have BMs and the consistency of the BMs, etc - I have two notebooks of records!
I started keeping these records when I was suffering pretty serious digestive upsets and what I can tell you with confidence is that my BMs got loose and very frequent while I had my fissure. Since my surgeries, my BMs are not as frequent and are more formed. A lot of this has to do with changes in diet - and I'm feeling better, so anxiety isn't causing loose and frequent stools anymore.
I've noticed that the less I worry about my BMs, the more my BMs 'normalize'. So, I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry. As long as you aren't constipated, you're in good shape. Your body is adapting to new psychological conditions too and there's a lot of psychology involved in BMs!
Deleted User 579

Postby Jas » 28 Jul 2011, 09:41

My stools have been slot harder. I am taking miralax but not a full dose. I am also not eating as much. I may need to eat more fruit and veggies.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby val » 28 Jul 2011, 11:32

I think once your mind is aware that something might cause pain, it registers it for quite a long time - like a phobia. In fact I became almost bathroom-phobic! It might get better in time for you - the more you have less pain, the more confident you'll become and less poo-aware!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby busybrooke3 » 28 Jul 2011, 18:53

Jas- I've been reading your story and it has helped me feel a little better about my up and coming surgery next Wednesday.
Regarding BM's, in June I ended up not going for five days because my fissure pain was so bad, and I ended up in the ER with a blockage. The ER doc had to remove the stool by hand. Talk about pain and the most horrible experience of my life Image . I have been using Miralax morning and night ritually ever since. I'm afraid to not use it, especially after surgery. Another thing that works great and is more natural, is boiling 5-6 prunes until they puff up, and eating them warm. They are actually pretty good that way. I also drink the water when it cools off. Good luck in your recovery!
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2011, 21:59

Jas,
I would step up the food intake. I ate like a bird the first week and things move slower when we do that. Once I started eating normal amounts, the bm's became much better.

Postby Jas » 29 Jul 2011, 12:46

I will try that. I have been so selective on what I chose to eat. Plus my wife gets mad when I always want to eat fiber friendly foods. For example all I ate yesterday was a PBJ sandwich for lunch and had Subway for dinner. Is it normal for fissure sufferers to lose weight? I have probably lost 10 lbs. in the last 6 months. Although it has been in my stomach and spare tire, so I guess it has been a good thing. I attribute my weight lose to eating less red meat. I used to eat it several days a week before the demons took over. Hopefully know that I have had surgery I can resume my normal diet. I do understand to take time and gradually adjust my diet. I want everything to heal so I can have my life back. I can also tell my wife is done with it. She has been a great support but enough is enough.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 29 Jul 2011, 13:34

Hey Jas,
It's very common for fissure sufferers to lose weight! I lost 50 lbs with my fissure. Everyone around me besides my immediate family thought I had a terminal illness or something. I was skinnier than I was as a teenager.
Here's my suggestion: You need to eat more veggies and fruit. I ate a lot of beans, mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, squash. There's high fiber oatmeal or regular is good and fiber bars are a good snack. Don't be afraid of eating. Your poop will sail out with the right consistency and you'll probably be shocked at how much actually exits since your surgery.
I was deathly afraid of eating with my fissure and after surgery but it really does make the best bm's when you step it up and eat healthy. What you ate yesterday sounds ok, but It sounds like a lot of bread and not much fiber. If you could add some cooked veggies, fruit to that, then things will really work to your advantage with the bm's. I know it's scary eating after surgery but this is what got my bm's coming and normal.

Postby Guest » 29 Jul 2011, 13:38

ps...
Jas, I don't know how big you are on veggies, but if there's a cracker barrel near you they have a vegetable plate that makes kick ass bm's- if you don't like cooking. You can order ahead and pick it up. I usually get mashed pot, carrots, pinto beans and green beans and corn bread.I am southern,in-case you can't tell! Lol.