How long is too long?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

How long is too long?

Postby Sue27uk » 23 Jul 2011, 12:51

I know this is an individual thing, but I'm getting very frustrated and fed up. I have lower abdominal pain and had to practically break down for my doc to send me for an ultrasound. It turns out this scan is the end of August so I am paying privately to get the scan to sort that. In addition to having various problems for 4 and a half months, I have a fissure. My doctor keeps putting me off going private, and my next hospital appointment is 13th September with the general surgical team. She says theres no point going back before then, things were inproving but got extreme pain on Saturday, and had it for a week again with no improvement. I'm thinking, depending on how the scan goes, of going private to try and see a colorectal surgeon to sort this. I have used rectogesic for 8 weeks now, and feel like I am back to where I started. I may have had this since March. I am only 27 and didn't think it was possible to feel any lower until this new abdominal pain started 3 weeks ago. I don't know what on earth to do as every time I try to do something I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall and the doc is stopping me Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: How long is too long?

Postby Bambi » 25 Jul 2011, 19:57

Wow Sue- it sounds like you are having a really hard time. I don't know exactly what to recommend. For one thing, I am in the US and so I don't have the same issues of needing to decide to go private or not. And you have more than one issue going on.
Do you think the two could be related in some way? I don't know what kind of expense you are talking about in terms of seeking out the colorectal surgeon on your own, but given your set of symptoms, I would probably opt to do that if I could afford it. Personally, I wish I would have gone ahead with the process of seeking out a surgeon sooner, but kept thinking I could come up with some cure on my own and in the end, I think I really just needed the surgery. Anyway- I would vote for finding someone and beginning the process because it isn't instant in terms of seeing someone and then trying what they may recommend first and then eventually it does take some time to recover from the surgery. But it is something I am so glad I did. My LIS was 5 1/2 months ago and I have some easily irritated scar tissue where the skin tag was but it seems to become stronger all the time lately. No fissure pain or bleeding in months and months.
Good luck!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Sue27uk » 29 Jul 2011, 09:53

Thank you so much Bambi! I am looking into finding my own CRS, am ringing the surgery on Monday to get a referral letter. I need to do something, I know people on here have had this problem for years and I totally respect people for trying to sort this out like they do, but I am getting to the end of my tether already! Thank you again :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby val » 29 Jul 2011, 11:33

The Nuffield Hospitals are good Sue - I had mine done in a Nuffield both times and can't praise them highly enough. A CRS will set you back about Ј150 for the first appointment, then Ј100 for subsequent ones. The scan could possibly be extremely expensive - I paid Ј800 for an MRI, which is totally ridiculous IMO.
PS If they use an anuscope they will charge you an extra Ј100!!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Sue27uk » 30 Jul 2011, 03:56

Thank you Val! For some reason I cannot get a referral, and I know it sounds pathetic but don't have the will to fight against my doc again. Been doing it for 4 weeks in a row, so my Mum is ringing the surgery and getting it faxed over. I have just looked up Nuffield hospitals and the nearest is Wolverhampton which is about 20 miles from me, so may try a BMI hospital which someone has recommended. I'm not going for my scan privately, as that has eased off and related to my periods I think. I'm wondering if the rectogesic is affecting that as it increases bloodflow and has made my periods very heavy. Am definitely going to see someone this week as the pain is the worst it has ever been. I feel stupid for getting so down as its not life threatening, but being like this is not good for my mental health never mind anything else. Hopefully by this time next week I will have seen someone who can at least give me advice! Thank you Val, really appreciate your support and advice. Oh and thanks for the tip about the anuscope!! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 30 Jul 2011, 08:13

Hey Sue - I'm so sorry you are suffering like this. It is really great that Val is able to give you some good advice about dealing with hospitals and doctors.
Please don't feel so bad about yourself - you are most definitely NOT pathetic and/or stupid! Many of us have struggled with the medical community. I had a supreme meltdown in the ER before I finally got a decent surgeon and proper treatment. In Canada we have ridiculous wait-times and I was so exhausted and felt so hopeless after months of struggling with doctors, my husband had to intervene a few times. This really wears even the strongest of us down. Our afflictions may not be life-threatening, but they are also not trivial. Our quality of life suffers, along with our physical and mental health. You are entitled to good medical care and if you get too tired to keep fighting for it, then it's great that your mum can help - you deserve to be treated well and to get your life back! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Bambi » 30 Jul 2011, 08:38

As we would say in Texas, "Amen to that, hopetoheal". I think anyone who has really struggled with this knows how deeply it impacts your life and your mental health. I am happy to hear your Mom is there to help smooth things along- sometimes we all need someone to do that for us. At times over the past year or so I have just felt incredibly down and exhausted by it all. And then to be struggling with Drs on top of it is a whole other level of strain and exhaustion. Don't be hard on yourself- hang in there and I hope to hear soon that you are scheduled with someone and on that path.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Guest » 30 Jul 2011, 08:39

Sue,
Fissures may not be life threatening but they are very painful and depressing. You have every right to be down. I wanted to die before I got my surgery. It's the most painful thing I've ever been through. I had to get my husband to help me with my medical care many times through out the 8 months I had my fissure. Just having the pain wears you out mentally and physically.
Praying you get in real soon and get the care you need. Image
Last edited by Guest on 30 Jul 2011, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Postby marymint » 30 Jul 2011, 11:21

Hang in there Sue. I too had to have a meltdown in front of the Doc before he realised what pain I was in. I saw a fabulous CRS who completely understood what I was going through and did a LIS within 3 days of my consultation. My GP has since apologised !! No one, unless they have had an AF understands the pain. Good luck there are some good CRS in the UK just demand to see one. Good luck
marymint

Postby val » 30 Jul 2011, 11:44

Aw Sue, why can't you get a refferral? If you're going private it's not really any of their concern. You've got to get tough dear, TELL them - or get your mum to tell them that you want a referral to x doctor at x hospital, and you are not moviing until you get it. I just telephoened my surgery and they just faxed a quick referral over. Are you in a group practice? Can you get another doctor to do it? There are actually private gp's around - I saw one once, I'm not sure if they could refer you - it's worth a try if all else fails!
As Hope so rightly points out, it's not life threatening, but life-quality threatening, and no gp has the right to deprive you of getting the right treament. Threaten to sue him if you have to!
Dealing with this is pain is draining, embarrassing and depressing - don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86