Correct Dosage of Botox

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Correct Dosage of Botox

Postby FishBoi » 25 Jul 2011, 10:18

I'm considering Botox again. Had it done 4 years ago with a very minor AF so can't really recall if it healed itself or the Botox did it. I don't really remember causing any temporary incontinence so I'm thinking it was not proper dosage. This time my AF has been lingering for a month on and off so considering botox again. I asked my CRS and he said records shows he gave me 20 units last time - 10 on each side. He said this time he can do 30 units - 15 on each side. Will 30 units be enough?
Also, he performs the Botox in his office with just minor numbing to the anal area but still hurts as hell when he injects it. I heard some doctors do it on an outpatient basis knocking you out via IV. What is a better option or is this just a personal preference to avoid pain?
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Correct Dosage of Botox

Postby bigbabyboy » 25 Jul 2011, 12:43

I had botox a little over a month ago. I'm not sure exactly how many units I had, but I know it was three needles on top of the two that were injected to numb the area. I have experienced a little bit of incontinence, but nothing major. I don't think it means it's not working if you don't experience it though. I was told though, that sometimes the second round takes better than the first because the muscle is more relaxed. I was awake when I had mine done and, you're right...it hurt like hell, but I personally, would be too nervous to be put under.
bigbabyboy
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby itpainsme » 25 Jul 2011, 21:17

Wow, really curious of what dosage others have had too. I am scheduled for my Botox and fistulotomy on Thursday and when going over the stuff for insurance (by the way the Botox itself is not covered by my ins.) the nurse said I would be receiving 10 units. That seems really low compared to the dosage you had.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby FishBoi » 25 Jul 2011, 23:14

itpainsme,
I've noticed the botox dosage is all across the board. I read somewhere on this forum that one guy had 100 units, that sounds crazy considering what I was told by my CRS. Yeah, my ins doesn't cover the botox either. Botox has gotten a bad wrap from the cosmetic side that it lost its other uses. I hope in the next couple of days more people can chime in with the dosage they received so we can all get a better idea of the avg dosage.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Postby busybrooke3 » 26 Jul 2011, 09:14

Fishboi-
Hi, I don't have any info about botox for you, but I was wondering if you could share the experience that you had four years ago with the fissuer and the botox? I am scheduled on Aug. 3rd for a fissurectomy and botox injections. I will be put to sleep for the proceedure, but I really don't know what to expect as far as pain and healing go. I'm really nervous! I would love to hear what your experience was like, or anyone else who would like to share. Thanks!!
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby FishBoi » 26 Jul 2011, 10:04

busybrooke3
Since you will be put to sleep, you won't feel anything. I was awake for the Botox injection and it hurt like hell. I didn't have a fissurectomy so not sure what the recovery for that entails. As for the Botox, it just felt a bit sore from the two needle holes like a bruising feeling but it went away within a week but nothing that really bothered me. As for relaxing the muscle, I didn't really noticed a real relaxation feeling if that makes any sense, but it didn't make things worse. Also, my fissure was not that bad back then so I couldn't really differentiate if it healed itself or the the botox did it. I'm pretty sure the botox did help. So I'm wondering if the 20 units I got back then was good enough of a dosage. If I'm going back for another shot, I want to make sure I get a better dosage since my ins doesn't pay for it and it is expensive.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Postby busybrooke3 » 26 Jul 2011, 10:58

Fishboi,
Thanks for the info. Have you shared your thoughts on this with your doctor? I just found out that my doctor is billing botox as "chemical intervention" the insurance code he will be using is 46505. The diagnosis of "anal fissure" is billed with code 46200, which goes right along with the botox code. These are universal insurance codes and my insurance will cover it if it is billed this way. Maybe if they used these codes for your insurance they would cover it? You might want to ask how they are billing for your botox. Just a thought. I hope you get relief from your fissure pain, it can really turn into a beast if left on it's own.
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Postby busybrooke3 » 26 Jul 2011, 11:13

Correction, the diaognois code is 565.0 for anal fissure. Sorry.
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Postby bigbabyboy » 27 Jul 2011, 07:58

Busybrooke3:
I was the same way as Fishboi in terms of pain after Botox. It hurt a little bit around the injection sites. I also had a skin tag removed at the same time and that was the most uncomfortable part. Botox doesn't heal a fissure. All botox does is relax the sphincter muscle. You really do need to take care of the fissure and baby it after botox, otherwise when the botox wears off, you'll be right back at square one.
bigbabyboy
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby busybrooke3 » 27 Jul 2011, 08:08

BBB-
Thanks for the info. Did your fissure heal and go away for good? How did you take care of it after botox? I've been researching botox, and it's a little scary. Did you have any bad side effects from it?
busybrooke3
Salt Bather