Scheduled for surgery on the 20th

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled for surgery on the 20th

Postby Ink184 » 10 Aug 2011, 17:24

So i received approval for my surgery yesterday, my insurance company is also my employer so that helped a lot although it doesn't help that i had a hernia repair just last month, everyone at the office now looks at me as "That Guy" who is leeching the company's medical insurance policy lol.
Anyways off to the main topic, i went to see my CRS today, an amazing guy really, he knows to assure his patients and keep them calm. He set me up for an Anal Fissurectomy on the 20th. I will be seeing the anesthesiologist on the 18th (Directions etc the normal stuff). I had an earlier date but i decided to wait for the 20th so it could be closer to our upcoming 10 days vacation since i don't want HR on my case for so many sick leaves.
The surgery will be done using radiowave technology according to my CRS, i really couldn't find any information online regarding this type of surgeries save for a few snippets here and there. He told me it is faster, involves less pain and has a faster recovery span. He even said that 99% of the patients who had it, didn't even need any pain killers on the night after their surgery. Supposedly it cauterizes the tissue using low temperature radiowave / lasers or something like that. There wont be any stitches, some minimal bleeding or discharge may occur later, and it takes 2 to 3 weeks to fully recover although after one week i should be able to sit comfortably.
This is how the device used looks like :
It is called Surgitron and made by Ellman International.
So the fissurectomy itself takes about 15 minutes but the whole operation takes around an hour and will be under General Anesthesia. I will be sleeping for one night before going home.
I am feeling good about this, i hope it works out fine for me. I still have one week to suffer before going under the knife, but i have figured it out by now and i am doing much better, i managed to keep my BM time to be right after i go home from work. I literally start having the urge right after i swipe my card out lol luckily i live two minutes away from work! A couple hot baths and one celebrex 200 mg keep me under control until 9 to 10 am that is when i start feeling better and can sit and walk around. So far so good.
Eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, apricot & raisins fruit compote and licorice juice is a miracle. Along with a lot of water and of course Movicol.
I will let you know what happens and most likely i will be on this forum the night of my surgery if i was awake and able so i can tell you all how it went!
Thanks for your support!
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Scheduled for surgery on the 20th

Postby busybrooke3 » 10 Aug 2011, 19:18

Conratulations on your upcoming appointment. I had a fissurectomy & botox injections 1 week ago, and I feel really good. I expected a lot of pain and became very anxious in the days leading up to it. My pain now is much less than before. I'm not on any pain pills, only naproxin for swelling. It is not the stabbing, stinging, horrible pain of a fissure, but more of a slight aching pain that comes on after a BM. It was interesting to hear that your Dr. is using a proceedure that cauterizes. I'm not sure what instruments were used, but my doc told me that he cauterized mine, it sounds like what you mentioned. Good luck, and remember you will most likely feel much better when it's over. Just baby yourself and don't do to much no matter how good you feel, that's when you can get into trouble. ( Even my first day after surgery was better than a day with fissure pain! ) Keep us posted!
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Scheduled for surgery on the 20th

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2011, 22:42

Hi Ink,
I just wanted to wish you luck with your up-coming procedure. My fissure was cauterized too and I had no stitches. I don't understand what's being cauterized if you are getting a fissurectomy. I thought fissurectomies were performed to cut out/ smooth down the edges of the scar tissue of the fissure. My fissure was cauterized to smooth the edges... I'm really curious about your procedure and can't wait to hear your experience.
Do you know what will be done to the internal sphincter to loosen it, relief the spasms/ resting pressure- such as they do with LIS? Is that what's done with the laser?
I hope you continue to manage your fissure and things stay under control while waiting for the big day. Sounds like you have a pretty good routine considering!
Take care, and please do keep us posted!