Fissurectomy Today! Wish me luck!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissurectomy Today! Wish me luck!

Postby Ink184 » 19 Aug 2011, 17:47

Ok so i am going under for a Fissurectomy in approximately 12 hours, i will be at the hospital in 8 hours. I started fasting.
Like i said before, my CRS is using radiowave laser to do the surgery, i haven't heard of anyone who had this type of surgeries yet, but according to him, it is the normal for cases similar to mine and it has a very high success right, and pains far more less than an LIS.
I was pretty constipated today, i think its the stress and i added some bread to my diet (BIG MISTAKE). I am hoping movicol will take care of things for tomorrow.
I have a couple of questions and i would be grateful if you can answer them.
1 - What's the difference between a Fissurectomy and LIS? Is there a difference in recurrence rates as well?
2 - Will i be given an enema tomorrow morning before the surgery? I am really dreading that as i can feel my sphincter muscle is a bit tight after today's constipated BM.
3 - The popular question lol, how bad does the first BM usually hurt ? Is it the same pain as the one we'd have during the AF days?
Also any diet suggestions and advice will help!
Thanks a lot really, this forum has been the place that is keeping me sane, i learned a lot from you and i wish you all a painless and happy weekend!
Get well soon!
Image Image
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Fissurectomy Today! Wish me luck!

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2011, 21:17

Hi Ink,
Good Luck with your surgery!
A fissurectomy is shaving down the edges or cutting out the fissure. LIS is a small cut made to the internal sphincter (muscle) which loosens it and allows the fissure to heal. Most folks need a LIS or Botox to relax the sphincter along with a fissurectomy( if they have one), so that the fissure can heal.
I'm kind of surprised that you didn't discuss this with your CRS. I hope I don't come off as rude!!! I mean this with the best intentions. I would be curious to know if the laser will be used on the internal sphincter because without loosening of that muscle either with LIS or Botox or whatever, a fissure will not heal as the sphincter will still be too tight and in spasm.
I had written in one of your previous post that I was curious as to what would be done to the internal sphincter, if that was where the laser would be used?
I also had my fissure cauterized and had no stitches or any need for a fissurectomy because cauterizing smooths down the edges and serves the same purpose as a fissurectomy.
I didn't have an enema but all CRS are different on what they require.
My 1st post-op BM was better than the day before.I had no pain or spasms, just a sore feeling, but again my procedures wasn't the same as you are having.
I would definitely get on the Movicol ASAP. Constipation isn't something you want to have post-op.
Good luck!!!

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2011, 21:19

Ps... I would stick with the soft fiber foods and plenty of water and stool softener post-op.

Postby dexterdude » 20 Aug 2011, 01:07

I was also scheduled for laser fissurectomy, but in the end the doctor cut it out using a normal scalpel. The reason was that once he could take a better look at it he said it was too big, old and hardened for the laser.
So I ended up with a quasi-rectangular cut, going from the outside in. It looked pretty scary for the first two weeks, but then it started to close and by now outside is 99% healed (a thing which never seemed possible looking at the wound the first day after the op). I also had botox with it. Sadly the whole procedure didn't work and I was having pain and bleeding two months out.
You will be given an enema, which for me was the worst part of it all, as it hurt like hell coming out.
For me, BMs for the first week or so were very painful, but the painkillers reduced the pain to a tolerable level after 10 minutes or so.
Good luck!
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3