Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby mimi40 » 19 Aug 2011, 18:05

Hello to all,
I am new here and to this awful dreaded anal fissure. I just found out Tuesday that I have one. It has been two weeks that this is going on. The doctor said that when the muscle tore it contracted my sphincter muscle and I am in pain all the time. It is driving me crazy! I hurt when I sit and then I try to stand and it spasms on me. I have a hard time staying at work now and it has even taken me away from the gym. I just called the doctor for the third time this week and he just gave me some Valium. Will this stop and is there a light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like this can even start depression like I'm on the verge of crying all the time.
Thanks for listening
mimi40
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New member

Postby Ink184 » 19 Aug 2011, 18:23

Hello mimi and welcome to the forum, it is unfortunate to say i am glad to meet you here on such an unfortunate occasion but welcome!
Feel free to look around and check the other topics for advice and information regarding AF.
Get well soon Image
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2011, 21:47

Hi Mimi,
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry you have a fissure!!
The valium can help with the spasms. Have you been prescribed one of the ointments such as nitro, diltiazem, nifedipine? It would be a really good idea to ask for a prescription from your doctor while your fissure is still acute. They help relax the muscle (sphincter) and help with the spasms. That along with the valium could give you a really good shot at healing while you are early in the game with the fissure before it becomes chronic.

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2011, 21:54

ps.. Mimi, there is a light at the end of the tunnel Image
Butt problems aren't forever! I know it's a horrible thing to get this! You may heal on your own or like many, you may need the surgery but it will end. You really have a good shot at healing this. Take in all the info you can on here and apply it while your fissure is new. Diet, baths, ointments, stool softeners are really important in managing the pain and healing. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. There's many good folks on here who are more than willing to offer support and help.

Postby mimi40 » 19 Aug 2011, 22:16

My doctor does have me on other medications. Nifedipine 3x's a day, Hydrocortisone suppositories that he said I could increase to 3x's a day also. The valium and also a lidocaine ointment to use as needed. I'm also doing the hot baths and taking Miralax, docqlace and magnesium. I've taken the Valium for the first time tonight and it's the best I've felt in two weeks. I can still feel it spasm but it's not hurting. Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight. Lets hope. Image
mimi40
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2011, 22:29

That's great! I used the valium temporarily after my surgery and it was awesome!! I hope you are able to get a good nights sleep and having the nifedipine already is a very good start to healing the fissure. Just curious- is you doc a CRS?
I wouldn't use the Hydrocortisone for an extended period of time (over two weeks). It can thin the skin down there and for some of us made things worse.

Postby mimi40 » 20 Aug 2011, 10:00

I will keep that in mind about the hydrocortisone. I just kept calling my doctor and telling I don't want a pain medication I need something to loosen that spot up. I thought the Hydrocortisone was what would help. Not sure what a CRS is because I am so new to all of this but looking him up on line it says that Dr. Richard Stockwell specializes in colorectal surgery (formerly proctology) Image
mimi40
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2011, 16:17

Hey Mimi,
A CRS is a Colorectal Surgeon. :) That's the kind of doctor you most definitely want to see with a fissure!

Postby mimi40 » 20 Aug 2011, 16:49

I was just wondering. I know that I saw on a lot of sites that it says to keep working out. I did try this last Saturday I did 30 min on the life cycle doing arobics training. However I left there in tears and couldn't bring my self to go back at all last week or to work. I did try on Thursday to return to work but left in sever pain also. What do you think is the best thing is to do?
mimi40
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2011, 20:58

Mimi,
I wouldn't do anything that leaves you feeling more uncomfortable. I really don't think it will help. I remember reading tons of garbage on the internet that said exercise would bring blood flow to that area and could help. I walked around the neighborhood, jumped on the treadmill and repeated that routine for weeks. It didn't help at all. As a matter a fact, I recall developing my skin tag around this time (happens with a chronic fissure) and all the exercise made it worse with the friction, it grew and became more painful.
I think your best shot with healing this are the baths, ointment,diet,stool softener and valium. It's just my opinion, Mimi but I wouldn't wait for ages to get the surgery once the fissure becomes chronic(older than 6 weeks). I'd give it all I could with the things you have been prescribed by the CRS and then talk about the next option. There's no need to suffer with this forever. We have a boardie who healed her fissure with the ointment (diltiazem) so it is possible. Just don't let it overwhelm you if everything you are doing doesn't heal it. I did and it really depressed me. I felt like I had failed. I did everything by the book and it still wouldn't heal. There's only so much we can do and hope and pray it works. The surgery works so if all else fails, just know there is a way out of this crap! Image Screw the exercise if it's causing you to feel worse.