FOLLOW UP YESTERDAY

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

FOLLOW UP YESTERDAY

Postby andy1505 » 23 Aug 2011, 06:46

OK, so i had my follow up last night after my Botox on the 20th June 2011, the consultant said i still have a small tear and has given me 2% Diltiazem Hydrochloride Cream to apply twice a day.
Had blood after a BM today, but i think this was due to the hospital appointment yesterday, well i am hoping it is!!
What do you all think about the cream, will applying this twice a day heal the remaining tear or will i still need further surgery?
I will have another follow up in 4 weeks to see how it is going
I also feel the botox is now wearing off as the pain is slowly returning, its getting worse as each day goes on!!
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: FOLLOW UP YESTERDAY

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 Aug 2011, 08:18

Hey Andy - I have heard of some folks using creams after botox or LIS to get them over that final hump. It may very well work, so it's worth a shot. I'm really sorry the pain is returning. :( Did your doc say that an LIS could be the next step if you aren't better by your 4 week follow-up?
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 23 Aug 2011, 08:43

Sorry the botox hasn't worked Andy, though not really surprised.
Hopefully the cream will help, as Hope says, it's certainly worth trying.
LIS or a second round of botox will probably be their next move?
Hope you feel better soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby andy1505 » 23 Aug 2011, 12:24

Thanks for the replies guy's
It was not explained what would happen next if the cream doesn't work, I expect they would want to try the Botox again if the fissure has part healed??
I will let you know how it's goes, but thinking another round of surgery will be needed
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby andy1505 » 24 Aug 2011, 10:38

Ok, so have been using the 2% Diltiazem Hydrochloride Cream for the past 48hrs, today where I have been putting the cream (on the outside, not inside) is feeling raw and really sore, it hurts just to walk fells like I have been on a long bike ride!!
We stop using the cream and will make a call to the consultants secretary tomorrow to see what I can replace it with and the next steps, there is no way I am continuing with the cream, anyone else had this type of reaction with thus cream or it a case of perseverance??
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby val » 24 Aug 2011, 10:53

Diltiazem gave me the itch from hell! So you could be sensitive to it. Have you tried Rectogesic (nitro)?
val
King Fissure

Postby of all the places to hurt » 24 Aug 2011, 13:47

I have used diltiazem for 4 months and found it was working in the beginning and now I have the itches! I personally couldn't use nitro as I couldn't stand the headaches that came with it! I must say though, I did get more tender down there in the first few days and then relief really. Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Sue27uk » 24 Aug 2011, 14:22

The cream can irritate you, well I am speaking for myself! I am now having problems with rectogesic after 3 months, but am persevering as it appears to be starting to work, and I have weeks with no irritation and then oen week with. I have been advised botox is the next step though, so am at a different stage to you! You are ahead of me. I would ask to change the cream :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby andy1505 » 25 Aug 2011, 09:41

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like i am going to be put on Nitro (Just hope i don't angel gas and blow myself up!!) would i expect to get any side effects from this cream?
Will let you know how i get on with it, have another follow up on the 07th October 2011, can't come soon enough!!!
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby val » 25 Aug 2011, 10:12

Take a painkiller before you try that stuff - it can give an ALMIGHTY headache, which can be quite scary if you're not expecting it!
val
King Fissure