Unfortunate new member

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Unfortunate new member

Postby laurana1502 » 23 Aug 2011, 13:00

Hiya everybody,
well I am hear for the same reason as everybody else.. frustrated after having anal fissure, abscess and eventually developed fistula which I had operated last Friday - as laid open procedure, I was lucky that fistula was superficial regarding the sphincter...
I had to stop with all my sport activities which is a killer for me :(
So here I am.. joining you all :D
:(
laurana1502
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Unfortunate new member

Postby val » 23 Aug 2011, 13:32

Hi there, welcome to the group!
I've had 2 fistula surgeries - my sympathies are with you!
You've come to the right place - there's always someone to help!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby laurana1502 » 23 Aug 2011, 13:59

Thank you Val,
I have already found your posts :) I cried today because it was just overwhelming never ending pain.. and it is my 4th day after surgery so I am little bit down...
Thank you for replying and I will keep reading, it is helpful to be here :)
laurana1502
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 23 Aug 2011, 14:23

Aww, sorry to hear that, it is a bit overwhelming. But remember you've been through a lot and feeling weak and down from the surgery. I will get better, it really will.
Have you got good pain relief?
Stool softeners?
Taking things VERY easily, preferably with someone on "slave service"?
Eating little and often to keep your strength up?
Hang in there, the first week is the worst, stay on top of the pain, as that can get you down and make you feel more depressed than need be.
val
King Fissure

Postby laurana1502 » 23 Aug 2011, 14:43

Hi Val,
I was using Tramadol as a pain killer and Laxose as a stool softener, but ended up very bad. I had severe diarrhea 2nd night after surgery - nightmare. Tramadol doesn't work for me so I switched to Ibuprofen. Sunday was really bad, but Monday I woke up good and painless..so I was happy. I think I am very intolerant to Laxose, so I stopped taking it. But my stool is soft with prunes and loads of water.
My biggest problem that I am having BM to ofter, and 4th today ended up with a lot of pain after.... And that's when I lost myself in despair... worse is I am new in the country so I don't have "slaves" around me Image but I am mostly in my bed not doing anything demanding..except a quick walk for my dog...
Thank you so much for replying :)
Why 2 fistula procedures? Did one reoccur or you had two?
I hope you're are recovering well :)
laurana1502
Fibre Addict

Postby of all the places to hurt » 23 Aug 2011, 14:55

Hey Laurana,
Aww I feel for you! Diarrhoea can be just as painful as a bm. At least your on the otherside now hey!! I am waiting for my surgery, but got to say, I was given Tramadol too and all they did was bung me up! So am glad you stopped those! Glad Val found you as she knows all the pros and cons! When the other side of the world wakes up I am sure they will kick in with some more helpful advice for you! Get better soon!!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby laurana1502 » 23 Aug 2011, 15:13

Hi there Proctosphincteranalogist
thank you for your support :)
Tramadol was awful for me, made me numb but not less sore. What kind of procedure are you going to do?
I completely forgot about the other side of the globe.. of course people are still sleeping :D
Thank you!!!!!!!
laurana1502
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 24 Aug 2011, 00:07

I had an operation to help heal the fissure called LIS, skintag removal and a fistulotomy in 2008, then a fistula reoccurred in about march this year, so I had another surgery in june. I think I have another fistula now, so will possibly need another op! Dont worry though, thats very, very unusual, even my CRS is baffled LOL!
You could try taking paracetamol at the same time as the ibruprofen, thats a good combination. Or you could try codeine? But that will constipate you so have the softeners ready for that one!
Yes, it is awful, going too often. And the pain after is very depressing. If you jump into a warm bath straight away, that should help. Also, take your pain meds half an hour before going to the loo so they kick in before you are in pain.
It will get better, hang in there!
val
King Fissure

Postby laurana1502 » 24 Aug 2011, 02:32

Hi Val,
sorry to hear that, and how is it going for you after the surgery in June, I suppose you had fistulotomy? Is it healing as expected? I hope it does :)
Today I decided to eat as less as possible but not to starve myself, I took your advice and had a pain killer first thing in the morning and I had my 1st BM. And it is still good, no pain!!!!
Hopefully this will be my last BM today!!!! Image
For now I will try to avoid stool softener, or maybe I should try with another one... after diarrhea I had I am sooooo scared. Water, prunes, pears, melon should be enough... Or maybe I should try with a smaller dosage of stool softener. When is the best time to take it? Before bed?
Thank you for the support!!!!! :D
laurana1502
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 24 Aug 2011, 04:18

Don't try to starve yourself, it's not good for you in the long run!
Have you tried Miralax/Movicol? Milk of Magnesia? I take movicol last thing at night.
You could also try flaxoil, or magnesium tablets.
val
King Fissure