Is this normal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Is this normal

Postby g09t6844 » 21 Sep 2011, 02:00

Hie its been three weeks since my LIS and at this point im still not really sure wats goin on. i have been using movicol and its helping with the softening of the stool but at times it gives me diarhhoea so i have had to reduce it to one sachet a day. However im still in a certain amount of pain when i have my bowel movements. Its not as bad as before the sugery but similar, i feel bruised afterwards and yah my spasms are not as bad before but i still feel a bit tight, At this point im so confused and scared as to whether the op helped or not. im trying to have some faith but i just dont know if im being impatient or not. I feel so awful cos i was old to put scheriproct in the anus not just outside but i havnt its so painful cos of the stitches.
g09t6844
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Is this normal

Postby Jas » 21 Sep 2011, 11:23

I believe it is somewhat normal to feel a little pain at 3 weeks post LIS. I had some mild discomfort at 3 weeks and still at 9 weeks post surgery. My pain was more of a an irritation type feeling though. I no longer had the sharp extreme pain after LIS. After reading many posts on here some people have had mild spasms after surgery. At 9 weeks I too feel a little tighter than right after my surgery. I am not sure if it's par for the course and just part of the healing process. Note, I am not as tight as I was before the surgery. If your stool is coming out to watery you may want to reduce the amount of miralax/movical that you are using and add more metamucil to bulk things up more but still keep it soft. My surgeon said not to use too much miralax after surgery because you want to keep your stool bulky. Like the veterans on here say try to give it more time to heal. Good luck
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 21 Sep 2011, 13:34

Great advice Jas! :)
I agree it's still early. As Jas said some folks do have some spasms for a short time after LIS. I was actually one of them and was prescribed Valium. I took it short term and things settled down immediately. Some just use the baths and they eventually stopped.
Hang in the Michelle! It all usually gets better as time passes... :)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Sep 2011, 13:44

Hi Michelle! Yep, three weeks is still pretty early. You might want to try a muscle relaxant (I used extra-strength Robaxacet). Recovery really requires a lot of patience. Warm baths will also help, as Dawn says. Try not to worry. Recovery can be a bit up and down - that was true for many of us, but we got better!
Deleted User 579