Immunity to Softeners

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Immunity to Softeners

Postby Biaxident » 21 Sep 2011, 11:29

So yesterday I followed the normal routine: a gallon of water, 30+ grams of fiber as well as fiber supplements, three stool softeners, no alcohol or caffeine or red-meat. This morning, my BM was accompanied by that familar pinching pain and a slight trace of blood. Image
Have I developed an immunity to my stool softeners? I dont doubt I could stand to switch to a different brand, as I've been using dulcolax and don't recall reading of anyone else here using it. But still, could I just develop an immunity to whatever SS I switch to?
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Immunity to Softeners

Postby val » 21 Sep 2011, 12:53

Are you maybe getting too much fibre? That can make for big BMs which tear and hurt.
Have you tried using miralax/movicol?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 21 Sep 2011, 13:15

Dulcolax is docusate sodium if I'm remembering correctly and doesn't seem to give very good results for most of us.
I've taken anywhere from 2 to 5 a day without seeing any difference in results. As Val mentioned Miralax or Movicol give much better results for most of us here.

Postby Biaxident » 21 Sep 2011, 13:41

Yeah, given my newfound love for "Fiber One" cereals, I am probably getting too much fiber. I figured so long as I balanced it out with a lot of water I'd be okay. I'll cut down and switch over to miralax and see what results I get.
Also, could only seeing a wee little bit of blood be a sign that the AF is somehow healing? I was actually relieved to see the blood and feel the spasms, as at least now I'm confident that I actually have an AF and not tumors/polyps.
*Upon further review, Miralax is $8.99 for seven daily doses! Looks like I'll try just cutting back on the fiber and see what happens. Next bloody BM is going to trigger a call to the CRS to look into LIS!
Last edited by Biaxident on 21 Sep 2011, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had additional info to add
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 21 Sep 2011, 19:16

Biaxident,
Wal-mart has a generic brand. I believe it's called Clear-lax. It's right by the Miralax. Walgreens, Winn Dixie and many other stores have the generic. From my experience they work the same.