Is surgery worth it?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Is surgery worth it?

Postby JR » 28 Sep 2011, 09:39

Hey guys something didnt hit me right when I was at my CRS last week.
Well it was just a check up to see how the fissure was doing. Well when the medical assistant was asking me questions she mentioned what would I like to do surgery or keep going with the Dilt. because "The surgery is nothing fun and hurts worse" !!!???!!!???!!!?? does that sound right? or is surgery better than it sounds?
JR
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: Is surgery worth it?

Postby val » 28 Sep 2011, 09:54

Well, no surgery is going to happen without some degree of pain! And anal surgery is notoriously painful. But at least when it is done, you know you are on the path to healing. And the pain isn't too bad - if you have tolerated the pain of a fissure then you can tolerate surgery - take that from a wimp who can't stand blood and is hospital-phobic LOL!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 28 Sep 2011, 10:23

Well yeah you're going to be sore and swollen for a couple of weeks, or you can live a lifetime with a fissure?!
It was better than the fissure to me! Maybe you should have asked the medical assistant if she had a fissure and the surgery! Image
Believe me Jr. It's manageable with the pain meds and like Val said, you will be healing. For me personally - it was worth it to be sore for a couple of weeks.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Sep 2011, 10:44

Hey JR - I had an LIS and I didn't find the post-op pain any worse than the pain from my fissure. In fact, I'd say it was less painful (but my fissure was REALLY painful!). The pain got so bad for me, I was willing to do anything. I decided I would rather go through a few weeks of post-op pain and be healing, rather than continuing indefinitely with fissure pain and not be healing.
That said, you'll know when and if surgery is right for you. And it's important to go over the risks and benefits with your surgeon, and ask especially about their own experience doing the surgery (how many have they done, complication rate, etc.). A lot depends on how good your surgeon is.
Deleted User 579

Postby JR » 01 Oct 2011, 07:37

Thanks guys just scared, idk what I want to do. First I feel like things get better as in this week, stuff just got better and better and better, just "boom" I hit rock bottom. Surgery seems like my only answer. But Im still....well......scared.
JR
Salt Bather

Postby TonyStone » 01 Oct 2011, 10:16

I first had problems in 2005. After every home treatment the fissure finally healed to the point where it wasn't an issue for me, every now and then a toilet bowl of blood said "don't forget metamucil" and in a day it would feel fine.
A month ago it came back. 4 weeks of barely leaving my house, not sleeping, shting glass, crying, losing time with my son, 5 mile drive to work where I had to pull over and walk because of the ass fire problem. Like everyone says, when tge time is right you will know. I felt like a shut in, watching grandpa drive my son to school, staying home because I am afraid to drive to SAMs. He'll, last week I was pissed because my wife wasn't home to meet me at the dollar store next to my work. I just wanted to feel normal. I had the surgery Friday. I am praying by the end if October I have a fairly normal life. In 2005 I thought about the surgery but talked myself out of it. I didnt want to crap my pants. This time I decided I would rather be out and have to change my pants, then never leave my house because of pain. You will know, once you decide and gave seconds thoughts. The pain will remind you why you are getting it done.
Tony
Ps. Farting was easier last night
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby TonyStone » 01 Oct 2011, 10:34

PSS. I was scared too. Since none of us know each other I can admit it. I cryed a lot this week. Prayed a lot. Even cryed when I signed the anastasia forms. I have been put under before. But I don't wanna die, I have a wife and a son I love from head to toe. And I know it's rare that someone dies. But you know what, it had to happened at some point or they would not have the form! Anyway, with words of encouragement from people here and daily reminders of terrible pain and sleepless nights I knew it was the right thing. I was scared, but keep in mind your in terrible pain now anyway. At least after surgery you get the stronger stuff.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby dwarfs8 » 02 Oct 2011, 08:35

i agree with tony. U will know it when u r ready for surgery. It's the last resort when everything fails. BUT do remember to still take care of ur diet and ur healing regime, even after the surgery.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby of all the places to hurt » 02 Oct 2011, 09:10

Please take look at all the other older posts from boardies, especially Val, Dawn, and Paulspain. They are just a few of the folk on here who never looked back after their sugery! You can't beat reading from someone who has experienced LIS themselves can you. So read some and let us know what you decide to do?
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JR » 13 Oct 2011, 07:13

Thanks all I appreciate the help.. I feel that Im so weak. everyone here keeps fighting and when thats done they keep fighting. Just wish I could be like that and not break down sometimes.. I feel like when I go back to my CRS in nov. shes going to tell me about surgery and I might just get it.. Like Tony said id rather change my pants when im out then always be in pain to even go out
JR
Salt Bather