My story

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My story

Postby Dan56 » 06 Oct 2011, 20:09

Hi All,
I just recovered from a fissure. During the painful times of my problems I consulted this site for information, and I thought I would give back by offering my story.
I am in my mid twenties and otherwise healthy. I first had a tear while I was in college- still remember it to this day. Lots of blood, although not too much pain. My primary doctor diagnosed hemorrhoids and suggested an increase in fiber and sitz baths as needed. Over the course of the next few years it was something of a roller-coaster: good months and then bad months, usually just blood but as time went on I would have more and more pain. Then a few months ago the spasms began. This consisted of shooting internal pain. They didn't occur during bowel movements- only for the next thirty minutes or so afterwords, although a few times these spasms continued for up to a couple hours. I need not explain to you all how awful these painful spasms were, but I will add this: I am a pretty tough guy with a relatively high pain tolerance, and there were times I couldn't help but violently cry and sob over the pain.
I consulted two doctors, both of whom did a rectal examination- which undoubtedly made it worse. "Hemorrhoids, more fiber in diet, blah blah." I was taking Advil every day to ease the pain. The one doctor ordered a sigmoidoscopy, but I refused because I knew what the problem was, although no doctor would listen. I finally decided to see a colon-rectal surgeon, which proved to be the best decision I ever made.
He examined me and said I had a fissure for sure. He diagnosed a tablespoon of powder fiber twice daily, and ordered me to stop using the Kondreumul which I was taking daily. Also prescribed diltiazem twice daily, and also prescribed lidocaine for pain as needed.
Slowly but surely I began to heal, and after 5 weeks I returned to the doctor. He said the fissure has healed, but said I will need to continue on twice-a-day fiber for the rest of my life. I hope this never returns and I intend on doing my best to stay consistent with the fiber powder.
I'd like to thank the creator of this website, and I offer my best wishes to all of you struggling with this.
Dan56

Topics: 1

Re: My story

Postby dwarfs8 » 06 Oct 2011, 20:14

so glad for u dan! Me too, i have both internal prolapsed hemms and fissure. It was the fissure that got me screaming in pain for a week and healed and re-torn itself over the course of 5 months... Yes, fiber becomes a MUST in my daily diets, so does prune juice and magnesium.
U might like to stick ard in this forum to also give advice to those still suffering.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Re: My story

Postby TonyStone » 06 Oct 2011, 20:28

So good to hear from people on the happy side of pain , hearing your story sounds like mine. The pain is UN real.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14