Long Time Sufferer of Levator Spasms

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Long Time Sufferer of Levator Spasms

Postby Sue1962 » 29 Oct 2011, 13:17

Hi all
wow I didn't know you could get spasms without a fissure. Lots of info on this forum!!! I feel like I have a golf ball when my fissure is very active and I do know that is from the spasms. The are horrible. Today much better no advil, first time in two weeks!!! I hope things get better for you Jody. I agree if you haven't seen a CRS make some calls!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Jimmy7223 » 23 Jul 2015, 18:15

I think I may have lavatory spasms, but I am not sure I hope so,done here can help me.
I was diagnosed with a fissure about 2.5 months ago and 2 weeks ago the proctologist told me that it was cleared up. Meanwhile, the whole time I was being treated for this fissure I was experiencing urinary issues...feeling like I always needed to go, discomfort after going, would need to go but very likely would come out. In fact...it were these urinary symptoms that brought me to the doctor at first almost 4 months ago because it was so alarming...I was I the bathroom constantly.

I have been checked for prostatitis and my prostate is not inflamed.

Now that my fissure is "healed" I still see, to be having these symptoms. I still have this tight feeling in my rectum. Still feel an ache in my anus. Still feel like this discomfort is radiating to my penis and I need to urinate.

Is it possible that this is fissure related or is t this lavator spasm. How would I know the difference? What can I do about it? Please help.
Jimmy7223
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby msimon » 24 Jul 2015, 13:35

Sounds like the levators to me. What country are you in? In Canada we have a private system for physiotherapy and can just look them up in the phonebook and call and ask if they treat pelvic pain. We also have pelvic pain clinics with very long wait times (took me 2 years!).
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Jimmy7223 » 25 Jul 2015, 07:30

I am in the U.S. I guess I will have to get a referral from my PCP or urologist. This is incredibly frustrating. I do notice that when I have a bowel movement things feel very tight and there always some discomfort or pain but not near the fissure. It's very deep.

In all fairness, my symptoms have calmed down considerably since they first started. 4 months ago I had to pee every 10 minutes. I was in a constant mode of extreme discomfort, always feeling like I had to urinate. Now, it is livable. When I am walking around it is barely noticeable. When I am sitting I start to feel it. After I have a bowed movement I notice some discomfort for a few hours after.

I guess there is no quick fix for this. Not saying that I am even expecting that...I am more than willing to put the work in. I just want to be putting it in towards the right things. I just want a proper diagnosis and be referred to the right doctor. I want to be given the right instruction/strategy to deal with this.

I have no prostate inflammation yet my urologist gives me 30 days a antibiotics a few months ago to treat the possible bacteria in my prostate that is causing inflammation...even though there is no inflammation? Just crazy.
Jimmy7223
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby msimon » 25 Jul 2015, 12:16

I understand your frustration Jimmy. I have had levator ani syndrome for over 10 years and have had some success with treatments but mine was so bad by the time I got help I had to go to the big guns...botox. Now I'm in other treatment and will see how it goes.

I think I recommended the 'Headache in the Pelvis' book to you because your issues and treatment sound so similar to one of the book's author's. It really is a good read. If nothing, it helps you understand your condition better and gets you started on a treatment plant to help yourself (ie., how to do trigger point release in your muscles). I would suggest, if you are brave enough, to try inserting a finger and palpate the muscles. If you feel hard bumps or bands of tissue this is your pelvic floor being too tight. You could try massaging things to see if it helps...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64