New here, in horrible pain and terrified!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here, in horrible pain and terrified!

Postby flipflop » 29 Oct 2011, 17:38

Hi all,
First off I want to say thank you to the founders of this forum for putting together such a wonderful place for those of us in pain to come to. This is my first post to the forum, though I have been hanging out for a week or so reading all the posts and trying to remain positive.
I have suffered with fissures and hemorrhoids for 29 years. I get them under control for a while and then they return. Over the years I've been diagnosed with numerous problems and conditions from fissures to hemorrhoids to Levator Ani Syndrome to stenosis and the list goes on. I've tried all the usual and some not so usual treatments. I've been to many GI and CRS docs, tried biofeedback (manometry), herbal remedies, creams, ointments and so on.
My latest episode is literally kicking my butt (no pun intended). I'm exhausted from the pain, I do not leave my house for fear of the urge to go (I will NOT go anywhere except my own bathroom), I'm many weeks into "the diet" along with Miralax and Benefiber, I spend my days going from the bed...to the toilet....to the tub, with an occaisional bent over in pain shuffle to the kitchen for some fiber filled food and yet MORE water. But I'm still in unbearable pain (screaming, yelling and crying) with every bm and many hours after.
This past Wednesday I finally got brave and went to yet another GI doc. He was unable to examine me because the pain was too severe. He gave me a script for muscle relaxants and an ointment made with niphedepine, nitro, lidocaine and hydrocortisone (a new combo for me) and referred me to a CRS to have the exam done under anesthesia. I was able to get in to see the CRS on Friday. He too tried to examine me (without anesthesia), but again there was too much pain. So, he scheduled surgery. He told me that he'll just take care of whatever he finds while I'm under. He did say from what he could see, there are 3 fissures (12:00, 6:00 and 3:00) and a large external hemm. at 9:00! No wonder I'm in pain around the clock!! I know that at least those will be fixed. However, I don't know what's going on inside as neither one of them could see. But, I'm sure something is there, the pain is too great for there not to be.
He didn't say how he was going to fix the fissures, just that he was going to fix them. He made it all sound like it was no big deal. The surgery is scheduled for November 10th and I'm scared out of my mind. It will be general anesthesia, which is enough fear for me, but then I don't know what he will find/fix and I'm absolutely horrified at the thought of the first BM after surgery. I didn't know what to ask him. When he said the word surgery, it was like I immediately lost all my brain cells and the ability to speak!
I want to call him back and ask more about the surgery, I'm just not sure what to ask. I know that a lot of you have had successful surgeries and any words of wisdom you might have for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
flipflop
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New here, in horrible pain and terrified!

Postby TonyStone » 29 Oct 2011, 18:52

I was scared too, I am about 4 weeks past surgery. You will be so happy after you start to heal u have no idea.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby jenny2 » 29 Oct 2011, 20:44

hi flipflop, you can always call the nurse back and tell her that you have some questions for the doctor before the operation and maybe she will schedule you to go in and have a consult before the surgery, where you can get all your questions answered. hope you get to feeling better soon, i couldnt imagine 3 fissures, 1 fissure was bad enough....
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby Guest » 29 Oct 2011, 22:08

Hey Flipflop,
I agree with Jenny, I would see if you could schedule and consultation before your surgery and have your questions answered.
There's quite a few threads in here with some good questions to ask before surgery. I will try and look up a few for you to get a rough idea of what you may want to ask also, and post the links here.
http://anal-fissure.org/t2729-pre-lis-skin-tag-removal-appointment-q-a#55148
http://anal-fissure.org/t2567-20-pre-op-lis-questions-to-discuss-with-crs?highlight=questions+to+ask+crs
http://anal-fissure.org/t3668-glad-to-know-i-am-not-the-only-one-going-through-this#64548
Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2011, 08:37, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: posted links 3x's

Postby dwarfs8 » 30 Oct 2011, 01:22

hi flipflop, i feel for u! Having hemms and fissures are no joke, that's what i had to. But urs are 3 fissures!
Ask for the names of the surgery he's gonna perform. Is he gonna remove the hemm, caturize the fissure or LIS? From the names, it's easier for u to find out more. It's best if you could have another pre-consultation before the surgery.
If it's LIS, i'm sure, u'll feel better after that. But if he's gonna remove the external hemm, u got to except some mild pain for abt 6 months (at least that's what my fren has gone thru)
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby flipflop » 30 Oct 2011, 13:30

Thank you Tony for the words of encouragement. It's nice to know that someone is having good results from the surgery. I'm glad that you are doing well.
To Jenny2 and Dawn, I will definitely call the nurse tomorrow. I just have too many unanswered questions to go under the knife without asking them. I really appreciate the responses. Thank you Dawn for the links. I am going to read them now and I'm ready to take notes. I have been reading a lot of what is posted here, but there is so much it's hard to know where to start. The links really help!
To dwarf, he did mention removing the hemm, but I will call tomorrow to make sure. Thanks for the names of the surgeries, it will be helpful when talking to the nurse.
flipflop
Fibre Addict

Postby jenny2 » 30 Oct 2011, 14:47

hi flipflop. let us know how you get along when you call the nurse to get an appt for a consult with all your questions being answered. i really feel bad for you with that many fissures and the hemm and you deserve to know what exact procedure the physican is going to preform on you during surgery. take care.
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby Sue1962 » 30 Oct 2011, 17:08

Hi Flipflop
I cannot imagine the pain you are going through!!! I hate it. Before I found this forum, I felt so alone. Like am I the only one going through this?? Wow was I surprised to actually see how many people suffer with this horrific pain. It has helped me keep my sanity and knowing I can ask a question without being embarassed and get a straight answer helps me deal with this. I would definately call back and get your list together so you don't forget anything you want to ask. The other boardies here helped me with mine and I am ready to see the Dr and boy do I have a list for him...LOL I hope he is a patient man. Hope you feel better soon, and keep us updated on your progress Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby cherylk » 30 Oct 2011, 18:31

Flip,
I agree with you that the Cheryl who founded this forum was/is truly an angel on this earth.
I feel for you having pain for so many years and now with your current condition. I made an appointment to talk with my surgeon (again) prior to my recent surgery of 3 weeks ago for my arm problem. I think it is important to be as well prepared as possible mentally b/4 going in to any surgery or any procedure for that matter. My last visit with him helped me feel more confident about what he was going to do, and we added a cortisone shot while I was asleep into the mix after the last appointment. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby flipflop » 31 Oct 2011, 23:00

Thanks so much Sue and Cheryl and everyone else as well. I do appreciate the support more than I can tell you! I too felt so alone in this!! When I do tell my friends anything about it, I mainly get glazed over looks from them. They just don't (can't) understand why I insist on isolating myself. They certainly don't get the amount of pain this causes, both emotional and physically! It truly is draining. Sue, I do hope that you seek help soon and get some relief from your pain too. Cheryl, I'm sorry to hear about your arm surgery on top of this problem. I feel for you! I hope that your arm is recovering well.
Here's the update so far...I did call the surgeons office today. The nurse (bless her) tried and tried to answer my questions, but we both finally agreed that I really needed to come in and consult with the doc again. So, off I go on another 58 mile trek tomorrow to see him again. I'm really glad to do it. I have a giant list of questions...hope he's got time! Image
In the meantime, I went to see my primary doc today. He said in no uncertain terms..."I will be doing your pre-op exam and the surgeon is NOT touching you until we do a stress test first".....so.....first thing tomorrow (before meeting with the surgeon) I'm going for bloodwork and then for the stress test on Wednesday morning. Not everyone needs a stress test...he is just concerned because I have been having a lot of palpatations over the past couple of years and even landed in the hospital once because of them. This past year has been one filled with several major stresses. But, I'm in much better shape than I have been in a long time. I've lost 40+ pounds and have drastically reduced my BMI, so I'm not forseeing any issues. Plus, I'm really REALLY hoping for a much better cholesterol reading! Considering all the oatmeal I've been eating lately, it better be lower!! Fingers crossed that everything turns out ok!! Wouldn't that be a kicker? To finally, after all these years, give in to the surgery and then not be able to get it because of something else!!
I will update again after I talk to the surgeon and let you all know what he said! I sure hope he knows at least as much about this as you guys do....is that even possible? Image There is so much knowledge here, it could fill several text books!!!
Thanks again to all!
flipflop
Fibre Addict