Surgery scheduled for Nov. 14th!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery scheduled for Nov. 14th!!

Postby Jojo1 » 31 Oct 2011, 14:10

Well
Saw my CRS today and am scheduled for 11/14. My medical clearance is scheduled for this Thursday. He answered all my questions. Some details . . .
Only does open, wants to see what he's doing.
It's at a surgery center near the hospital, little nervous about that.
Position is face down.
No antibiotics normally.
Vicodin for pain.
Normal activity after a week (yeah, not planning on that).
I did not enjoy the exam today at all. My fissure is on the left side, no evidence of a tag, but possibly a kild infected area. There's no evidence of a fissure at 6 oclock, but that area as very sore to the touch.
Phone going down. Will share more tomorrow.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: Surgery scheduled for Nov. 14th!!

Postby Mike530 » 31 Oct 2011, 17:21

good luck! My surgery is on friday, so I hope all goes good as well!
Mike530
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby jenny2 » 31 Oct 2011, 19:33

i am glad for you and that you are going to be having surgery soon... :)
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby katetornado » 31 Oct 2011, 20:20

good luckmike and joejoe Image
katetornado
Fibre Addict

Postby TonyStone » 31 Oct 2011, 21:12

Good luck, 5 days after my surgery I drove to Walmart and bought chicken salad, tears in my eyes because i didn't think my life would be normal again and here I was driving. Small steps and you will get better.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Jojo1 » 01 Nov 2011, 02:33

Thanks all. I am ready to eee yhe end of this nightmare. Part of me is still friightened, but oddly enough, I feel the fear lessening. Now if I can just get past the next four weeks.
Question, I am supposed to go to new york to sing with the chorus I am in the third week of december, do I need to back out of that? I mean once a week rehearsal is one thing, plane ride, several days of rehearsal is another story. May be too much even if I am healing well.
Thoughts?
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby wecc » 01 Nov 2011, 05:08

Hi jojo1.....My cousin had a LIS early last year and he is so pissed at himself for waiting so long to have one. He is now back to living his life. In fact, him and his family took a bike tour in the west coast. Yes, they spent 3 days on a bike!!!! I know you cannot even imagine that now….but you will get there. It might not happen overnight….however with that said, your quality of life will get back to where it once was. I can tell you first hand sh__ happens in life. I see people I work with and have lost friends from bad health issue. While this all stinks and many times I got very upset, at the end of the day, things can always be much worse than dealing with an AF. As my wife said to me when this all happened, if this is the worst thing to happen in my life…I am blessed…. Good luck my dear….you will get to the other side!
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 01 Nov 2011, 06:53

Hey Jojo,
Congrats on getting your date for surgery!
I think there's a good chance that you will be able to take the trip and sing, since that will be around 5 weeks post-op. It's hard to say for sure, since all of our recoveries seem to vary, but I know even with having the skin tag removed with my LIS, I was feeling pretty good at 5-6 weeks post-op. Don't forget that you'll need to keep up with is your diet, stool softeners, and water while traveling so that you keep your routine with BM's while recovering.

Postby Jojo1 » 01 Nov 2011, 09:05

Thanks so much, wecc. I appreciate the encouraging words. That's something I've told myself quite a bit over the last few months. No matter how painful, it won't kill you and there are others going through much worse. Though I have to say, I don't wish this experience on my worst enemy.
Dawn, thanks so much. I know that stool softeners, water, fiber, et.al will be a daily part of my life from now on. I've had bariatric surgery (duodenal switch) and have to take supplements, including calcium which is constipating. I temporarily discontinued it while trying to deal with this fissure, but must incorporate it back as soon as possible (baby steps, though). This is not something I want to ever, EVER experience again.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby aeg » 01 Nov 2011, 09:32

Hi Jojo-please post how your surgery goes and how you recover! I am at the difficult stage of trying to figure out if surgery is the right option for me! Wishing you all the best!!
aeg
Fibre Addict