had surgery yesderday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

had surgery yesderday

Postby shakeit » 11 Nov 2011, 09:20

hi all
i had lis surgery yesterday, i stayed in hospital overnight and am back home now. i was surprised at how relaxed i felt afterwards, beforehand, especially when I walked into the operating theatre i was very nervous indeed. was getting a bit panicky but they put to me sleep pretty swiftly.
today i feel really ok, it is uncomfortable and when i tense my muscles it hurts. a combination of bruised pain and sharp pain where the fissure and incision are.
the real test is going to be the first BM which i've not yet had. i am so not looking forward to it (it would actually be true to say i'm absolutely terrified of it) as i can feel the pain in the anal area when it gets a little stretched right now. i have some tramadol and may need to take it. i dont think i'll be holding back if i do!
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: had surgery yesderday

Postby Deleted User 579 » 11 Nov 2011, 09:34

Hey Shakeit! Congratulations on your surgery! Image Image Welcome to the world of healing!
Try not to worry too much about the first BM. It is really scarey, but most of us found it wasn't as bad as we expected it to be. Remeber not to push. Take deep yoga breaths and relax as much as possible. I also find gently bending forward and slowly straightening up over and over a few time helps move things along (I place my hands on my knees and bend forward and push myself back up like I am doing pushups). When I was struggling with particularly stubborn BMs, I would put a paper plate on the floor, covered with some TP and poop in a squatting position - that's a more natural way to poop, actually, and it helps avoid straining. Then I would just dump the contents of the plate into the toilet and put the paper plate in a garbage bag. Sorry if that's TMI - it's a bit gross, but I found there was very little mess with this technique, and squatting made it easier to avoid pushing.
Don't forget to take your stool softeners and LOTS of water while you're on your pain meds. Try to relax and take it easy as much as possible. The first few days are rough - but it gets better and soon this will be a distant memory. :)
Deleted User 579

Postby shakeit » 12 Nov 2011, 06:43

thanks hopetoheal. i'm am feeling a bit more relaxed about the first bm and just waiting right now. thanks for the paper plate tip. i took some stool softeners although my crs said to only take fybogel only not the stool softener.
the pain from the op isnt too bad without the bm pain.
i'm looking forward to going back to regular bms after the surgery and of course better days!
shakeit
Salt Bather

Postby dwarfs8 » 12 Nov 2011, 07:43

hi shakeit, congrats that u got thru it! I won't recommend taking fybogel as it bulks up the stool, and that's exactly what you want to try avoid. Do update us regularly!
I do agree with hopetoheal about taking yoga breaths, that was what has brought me to heal my fissure. It's very important not to push/strain.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby shakeit » 13 Nov 2011, 14:15

ahh yes i think the fybogel did do that. i had my first bm since surgery yesterday. i had to wait a couple of days and the bm was very bulky indeed. it hurt and was slow to exit. if i'd had that before the surgery i think i'd have been in a much rougher state. the good news is afterwards although it hurt it wasnt as bad as before the surgery when i was in around 8/10 pain for hours. yeay! i had a temperature today though and got worried it could be something to do with the op, i called the hospital who called the crs who said it sounds like flu. i think its my body having a shutdown , its been a long week, very emotional and first time i faced surgery. the weeks leading up to surgery were pretty tough too. i'm glad i'm here post surgery. i'm still in recovery and will try and take it easy.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Nov 2011, 15:36

Hey Shakeit - I'm glad your first BM didn't cause a lot of pain afterward. I found Miralax (Restoralax here in Canada, Movicol in the UK) the best thing for producing the perfect poos. It can take a few days to work, but it really worked for me once it got started. I'm sorry you may have caught a flu. It is the season, and after suffering for so long, it wouldn't be surprising if your system is run down and a bit vulnerable right now.
Take it really easy for at least one week, and two if possible. Here's to a speedy and complete recovery! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby pita111 » 14 Nov 2011, 18:18

Hi I had the surgery last Thurs 10 Nov....and I am so thankful I did. After suffering on and off for years and more recently daily for the past 2 months.....IT WAS WORTH IT. The pain prior to surgery was so much worse than after. I drove to work in pain everyday (50 minute commute). It was very painful and stressfull...In tears most days!
It is now day 4 for me and I did have a small (peanuts) bm on day 2. Nothing on day 3 and then 4 BMs today.... I've been drinking prune juice, taking stool softeners and metamucil daily! I've also use Miralax....and last night tried Milk of Magnesia. Today after the 4 BM's I am sore again, but relieved to have gone. I was starting to get worried. Stools were soft and I did not have to push. I also seem to pass gas alot....... I only needed the pain meds for the first night. Now I am just very tender/sore and very thankful not to have spasms everyday for 3-4 hrs!!!!
Hope everyone else is getting relief. I would have done it sooner if I'd known how good to be spasm free feels!!
Hang in there!!
pita111
Fibre Addict

Postby shakeit » 16 Nov 2011, 06:32

Thanks for the advice, the yoga breathing is helping and I'm trying to take it easy.
pita111 we had our LIS on the same day! glad to hear you're doing well. hope your day 6 is good too. i'm glad i went for it too and think if it had been sooner then maybe my fissure wouldn't be so deep now, but hey you live you learn.
its day 6 and i can definitely feel improvements. its much easier to pass a BM. i still have pain during and for some hours afterwards but the pain is less, around 5-7/10 (before surgery it was 8/10 or more) and the pain lasts for less time, around 4 hours (before surgery it was around 8 hours). not the immediate no pain scenario some have experienced, but a definite improvement. at first i was worried and thought that things didnt go right if i'm still in pain, but i've read about some others that still had pain afterwards and it took a while to subside. i think i got a bit bruised internally as well as externally during the op so that maybe causing the pain too.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Postby pita111 » 16 Nov 2011, 15:46

Shakeit, My day 6 is good....glad you are doing well. I guess I was lucky but I no pain at all now.....I feel perfectly normal. However....I drink prune juice, take stool softeners, just incorporated flax seed in my yogurt; and drink 1 small glass of metamucil a day. I never want to strain again!!! I never want that pain again either. I just wish I would have done the surgery sooner. Hope each day gets better and better for you! Life is too short to have unnecessary pain in it! Take good care, soak alot, and stay soft! Keep us posted on your progress!
pita111
Fibre Addict

Postby shakeit » 25 Nov 2011, 12:22

Thanks pita111. I've started taking prune juice too, having difficulty keep stools regularly soft. I used to take stool softeners (lactulose) before surgery although they made BMs possible they caused me to have upto 4 a day and I think did irritate the fissure too. Post surgery I'm looser so can handle bigger BMs, also concerned my sphincter will shrink again if I have very small stools with the softner, but I'm still in two minds about whether to take it again or not. For now I'm increasing the fibre, taking a bit of magnesium and have the prune juice. Lets see how it goes.
shakeit
Salt Bather