How long until its safe to come of softners

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How long until its safe to come of softners

Postby UltrabeaT » 12 Nov 2011, 11:47

Been on movicol just over a month now and its going well havent really had any pain at all
there has been the odd time when i forgot one of my sachets and i could feel some pressure on the fissure area. i did try and have a poke around today to see if it hurt, its was abit sore and i can definately feel what im assuming is scar tissue, like flaps of skin internally. Will they be painful at all.
ill stay on them as long as i have to i wad planing to keep going until after christmas, take a visit to the gp and get them to have a look. but i know just cause the fissure may have closed up doesnt mean the skin is strong enough yet..
its a hard choice really.... dont want to stop them and be put back to square one...
UltrabeaT
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: How long until its safe to come of softners

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2011, 13:50

Hi, I started all my issues 2 years proper but had problems a few years before with Haemorrhoids. About a year ago now I had an advancement flap and started using movicol and have been on it since. I've had a couple of 'moments' along the way with re-tears etc. If I were you I would stay on the stuff for now. The healing process is a lot longer than the doctors will tell you and that you think. I have no intention of coming off it yet, especially as I have possibly managed to tear a bit today.
Stay on it until Easter if I was you!!

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2011, 16:48

I agree with Split. I would stay on them for at least 6 months after your fissure has healed and then slowly taper down. I wouldn't stop it cold turkey when you do.

Postby hothead » 13 Nov 2011, 16:45

My CRS told me to use nitro and softeners for 3 months after my symptoms (the pain) were gone, and then slowly see if I can ease off the softeners. She also said some people take miralax forever and that's safe.
hothead
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby UltrabeaT » 14 Nov 2011, 16:20

im working towards a military career. i have to be in perfect health. so kicking this fissure/s is my main prority, there is no point being the fittest ive ever been and being refused entry cause its still there. im gonna keep on them like everyone has recommended, and take visits to my GP to see whats going on, also to find out once and for all what this lump on the back of my bum is its definately gone down in size and doesnt get inflammed as much any more but id like to know. maybe a trip to a CRS would tel? but i dont want that going on my medical
UltrabeaT
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2011, 11:27

Hi UT
Glad its gone down, don't rush it though just cos thats happened. Keep to your regime that you have else if my experience is anything to go by it'll re-appear a lot quicker than its taken to subside. As for the military I can appreciate your dilemma. I did 25 years in the military and theres no way I could have done any of it with an AF. YOu will need to be fit etc. Allow yourself time to get over this before entry. Whatever you do don't lie about it or try to cover it up, the physical nature of military life will soon expose you and the AF (the latter being painful for you) the former would result in dismissal before you got going. Sorry to be blunt but military life is just that way. Anyway sounds like your healing ok, just give it time and poop carefully!!

Postby UltrabeaT » 15 Nov 2011, 15:11

split wrote:Hi UT
Glad its gone down, don't rush it though just cos thats happened. Keep to your regime that you have else if my experience is anything to go by it'll re-appear a lot quicker than its taken to subside. As for the military I can appreciate your dilemma. I did 25 years in the military and theres no way I could have done any of it with an AF. YOu will need to be fit etc. Allow yourself time to get over this before entry. Whatever you do don't lie about it or try to cover it up, the physical nature of military life will soon expose you and the AF (the latter being painful for you) the former would result in dismissal before you got going. Sorry to be blunt but military life is just that way. Anyway sounds like your healing ok, just give it time and poop carefully!!

thanks so much for the reply ive been praying that someone on here would have a military background!
as for the medical if im all healed would i still fail first time? would it be good to get a doctors note to go with it so i can prove its healed? also say it doesnt heal, how would having surgery affect me? how would they know if i got a fissure again whilst in there?
obviously i dont want to lie. but i have to have this career. i want this more than anything, and oday i had a sore momment, sore but i dont think a re-tear.
id appreciate a replay :p
and would seing a CRS effect my application.
UltrabeaT
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2011, 15:13

Hi UT
Firstly I think that the branch of the military you join will have a bearing on your condition. For instance infantry compared to engineer would differ greatly on the impact your AF would have. Just out of interest I'm in the UK how about you? Here there are a few medical conditions that preclude entry but as far as I'm aware an AF isn't one of them. The issue though is you will be expected to pass a basic fitness test (I suspect where ever you are) and this could prove difficult if you try it with an AF. As I said before if you 'hide' your condition to gain entry and you are caught out I think you'll be kicked out.
I know you really want to join up and this feels like the end before it starts but you need to tread carefully with this. Are you able to talk to your GP (doctor) explain the situation and ask him to make anonymous enquires on your behalf? I would do this before you do anything else.
Also you must realise that your health is more important than any career. Are you able to delay your entry? What age limit do they have? A delay where you can rest up and heal fully might be the answer to your prayers. Assuming the best, you'll still have time for a long military career.
Hope this helps.

Postby UltrabeaT » 16 Nov 2011, 17:03

Thnks for the reply again. Im in the uk too.
I want to join infantry royal marines. Urm I can live with the fissure and have been. It only used to cause me pain when I had a bm. But since being on movicol I'm pain free.
Still training hard running and weight training. None of which aggravate my fissure, I'm now taking better action and I'm going to keep up on. Vit e and c also aloe verA
Yh I'm goin to see m gp again after Xmas to see if I'm healed. And I'll ask him to go through my medical record and see of I'm all good. Also ask about military stuff. And I'm only 19! I'm so shocked to be suffering from this.
Thanks in advance
UltrabeaT
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 17 Nov 2011, 15:16

Hi UT
Glad you are taking a positive approach to it. I think the delay to post Xmas is good and hopefully you'll be examined then and be declared fit. Keep doing what you are doing, eating sensibly and drinking lots of water. With all the training you are doing its even more essential that you do not become dehydrated. Remember if you're thirsty then you are already on the way, you don't want a hard poop to ruin your hard work. As for the weight training you should try to avoid squats etc for obvious reasons!! I know you will want to do 'legs' so get some advice from a trainer, who will be able to give you alternative exercises such as 'leg' machines where there is not so much strain on your butt. Not only that when you join you need room for improvement so don't worry about being able to lift huge weights endurance is equally important so lighter weights are still good, just more of them!!
Anyway good luck with it, stay positive and remember your AF at all times; forget it and it will bite Image