Didn't expect to be doing this today!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Didn't expect to be doing this today!

Postby forrestgump » 15 Nov 2011, 09:24

Hi Everyone,
I'm 45 and found out yesterday that I have an anal fissure. I'd been worried about going to the CRS (my GP thought it was a strangulated HM) and the last 2-3 weeks have been particularly painful. Mainly worried it was/is something more sinister. Anyway the CRS listened to my story. I've had episodic problems with haemorrhoids over the years (had them injected 3 years ago), some pain from time to time, but usually sorted out within a few days. Quite bad bleeding as well more often than not. Then about 3 weeks ago, had a bad episode and went to GP who referred me on to CRS.
In the meantime, things have gone from bad to worse, with a handful of 'attacks' when I was literally in agony down below, a strong burning sensation and throbbing to go with it. The only way to get relief was to jump into a bath or put an ice pack on my bum.
So, explained all this to the CRS, who examined me but it was so painful, he couldn't check inside for HMs. He diagnosed a fissure and recommended high-fibre diet, lots of water, baths, painkillers and Diltiazem. Said he'd see me in 6-8 weeks. I had an OK night last night (felt a bit messed about by the examination) but this morning after BM, decided I felt OK and started walking my dog to the park. Within 500yds another 'attack' had started and I was in so much pain I had to come home. Only way I can get relief is an ice pack.
The pain is horrendous, literally breath-taking and I go into a cold sweat; it's hard not to shout out loud. My partner is sympathetic, but I think she wonders how a small fissure can cause quite so much pain! So, I'm lying on the sofa with an ice-pack on my bum, reading about anal fissures and discovering a world I knew nothing about.
I've lots of questions, chiefly how long might it take before things start to get better. I'm not easily embarrassed thank God. But this is new territory. I'm relieved I know what's wrong, but even a cursory read of some of the posts here and elsewhere suggest that this is potentially a long-term and painful ailment, so I'm quite worried.
forrestgump
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Didn't expect to be doing this today!

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2011, 15:15

Hey there,
Welcome to the forum. I wish I could give you a straight answer on healing, but it's impossible to say when it will take place and what measures will have to be taken to get there,but it does not have to be a long term issue. It is possible to heal conservatively with baths, diet, stool softeners and ointments prescribed for fissures. Once a fissure becomes chronic( 6-8 weeks) the chances of healing without Surgery are slim.
Most folks exhaust all other measures before resorting to surgical intervention. I waited 8 months before having LIS which did heal my fissure after 6 weeks. Some choose Botox and other avenues before deciding on LIS.
The key to healing a fissure with or without surgery is keeping the bm's soft. It can take months- years after a fissure heals before that area has re-gained strength and isn't vulnerable to re-tears, so it's really important to keep whatever routine that makes your bm's soft and regular for quite awhile even if you think all is well and there's no pain.
There's a lot of good info in the diet and supplements threads you may find helpful.

Postby forrestgump » 20 Nov 2011, 16:03

Thanks Dawn.
Your comment 'even if there's no pain', keep up with good habits was brought home today. I've had a few good days in a row since I started using DM cream, changed my diet completely etc. Feeling better by the hour, even thinking about going to a concert tomorrow night (booked ages ago and had given up hope) then this afternoon, three BMs in 2 hours and I'm back to square one, bent double with the pain again, awful burning, spasms etc.
Obviously getting ahead of myself. Put some DM on again an hour ago and back to square one with side effects, dizzy, sick, headache, etc. My bum has settled down now a bit, but can't believe it all came back so aggressively, so soon...
forrestgump
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 20 Nov 2011, 19:56

3 BMs in 2 hours? What did you eat?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby jenny2 » 20 Nov 2011, 21:03

hi forrest, i know how you feel about the ice packs, i have been using ice packs since july off and on and laying on the couch. it is a endless journey to get rid of fissures. ice packs are the only thing plus pain pills that helped me..
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby forrestgump » 21 Nov 2011, 17:11

Dwarf8 - Popcorn. Won't do that again in a hurry!
Jenny - Ice packs are a godsend. I buy the small freezer bags with the tie-handles, put in a couple of small ice-cubes and a little cold water, then tie off (tight!) and snip the unnecessary plastic off. This leaves me with a little pouch which I wrap in a sheet of kitchen roll (takes the edge off the cold) and that will calm things down for 45 mins to an hour. It has been a life saver.
forrestgump
Fibre Addict

Postby jenny2 » 21 Nov 2011, 19:41

good idea how you make up the ice pack. i just use a ice pack that comes with my mothers insulin, she always has tons of packs laying around her house. hope you get to feeling better....
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby dwarfs8 » 21 Nov 2011, 20:47

popcorn? gosh, i haven't dare to go near popcorn for half a yr alr!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19