Discharge at 2 weeks out. Please Help!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Discharge at 2 weeks out. Please Help!!

Postby Jojo1 » 28 Nov 2011, 14:38

Hello All;
I've been doing well in my recovery, but am a bit concerned now. I had a very small amount of discharge immediately after surgery. It amounted to a small, dime-sized, brownish stain on the gauze when removed. The gauze was never wet, but that stain was there and getting smaller each time. I expected that and thought it was normal.
For the last three days, I've noticed a bit of an odor when cleaning with the moist wipes and witch hazel. It's not a loud odor and there would be no discoloration on the wipe, but I did notice a different in the odor of the wipe before and after.
Not sure if it's related, but I also notice a very minor pain when I touched an area which I imagine is about 1/2 inch outward from where I believe the incision is. Not really a pain, but what you would call tender, like touching a small bruise. In a panicky moment, I wondered if it was the beginning of a fistula, but I don't have the symptoms listed on the sticky.
Well today, I placed the gauze before going to work just to protect against moisture as I have had a little bit of itching and when I removed the gauze around mid-morning there was what I consider to be a lot of bright yellow, slimy looking discharge on it. It's about the size of a nickel and was wet. There is an odor, but it's very faint and not particular pungent or putrid as I would expect infection to indicate. But, I just changed gauze again, and there it is again. I've left a message for my CRS but wanted to ask you guys as well.
Did anyone else experience this?
Do you have an idea what this is?
Can it be the beginnings of a fistula?
Should I be very concerned?
I see my CRS for follow up on next Thursday. I'm not quite to the point of freaking out but am more than a little concerned. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: Discharge at 2 weeks out. Please Help!!

Postby Jojo1 » 28 Nov 2011, 15:11

Update, just got off the phone with my CRS's nurse. He said for now, since there's little to no odor, just change the gauze more often to get a sense of how the discharge flow really is over the next couple of days and call.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jojo1 » 29 Nov 2011, 11:48

Update . . . I'm back and concerned again. By the end of the day yesterday the drainage was very minimal, which was great. However, all morning at my desk I have had some strange sensations down there. Several times, when I shifted, it felt like there was a tiny amount of fecal matter irritating the area. A couple hours ago, I went to the bathroom to check the gauze and it was not saturated, but moist with a lot of the slimy yellow discharge. Still not a very strong odor, but stronger than yesterday and unpleasant, but not putrid. Still concerned this may signify the beginnings of infection, but not sure.
The tenderness I felt on that left side has not increased at all and there's been no fever, so I'm at a loss.
Something else did happen, though, which I'm not thinking is related, but can't be sure. Yesterday, I felt some tenderness in the front pelvic crease of my left leg while walking a couple of times. Figured I'd just stretched my leg back a bit much cuz I was in a hurry.
Well while bathing this morning, it hurt when I touched the area and I felt a knot about the size of a pecan. It's not on the right side only the left. It's tender to the touch and I have had a few very mild pains go through the area during the morning.
Ladies (or gentlemen), any of you experience this? I'm not wanting to panic, but my mom had a sugar related abcess in the same area to rupture after her sugar shot over 500. I know my sugar levels are okay as I am not diabetic, but have my levels checked religiously because of the family history. I'm thinking an inflamed gland or something (we have'em in that area don't we?). Gonna call my pcp to be sure it's not something related to clots since I was off the coumadin for a few days for the LIS procedure.
Guess I just needed to get it out so it didn't weigh on my mind so much. But I would appreciate any insight any of you can provide. Sorry if this was too long a whine.
Thanks, all.
J
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PaulsPain » 29 Nov 2011, 12:22

This could be a inguinal lymph node if I am understanding the area your talking about.
Superficial inguinal lymph nodes Link
I just went through this about a month ago. Neither my GI or GP knew what the lump was and I finally had an MRI that showed it was indeed a lymph node that was swollen to about 24mm x 54 mm. Hurt like heck for awhile......
I have peri-anal disease caused by Crohn's so I am still dealing with a fistula. It sounds like it isn't uncommon for these nodes to swell with active peri-anal issues according to my CRS.
Now in your case it could signify an infection since lymph nodes swell when the body is trying to battle something. I would call the doctor about it.
Take care.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby StevePain » 29 Nov 2011, 15:08

Hey Paul, how is the Chron's, I hope you're not suffering too much and hope you get the Fistula sorted out soon.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Jojo1 » 30 Nov 2011, 05:42

Thanks, PaulsPsin. I see my pcp on Mon, but also called gyn just in case. See her on Friday. Also calling crs to advise about knot. If it is an infection, what will they do, just antibiotics. And if related will the knot go away as the infection clears?
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist