This is not a lot of fun

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

This is not a lot of fun

Postby OuchThisHurts » 29 Nov 2011, 22:47

I've been dealing with a fissure for over two months now. I'm 30 and in otherwise good health. Reading about some people who have had this for years, or have had no luck on treatment makes me think I got it easy - but if THIS is easy, I can't fathom what some people are going through, because some days I am in crippling pain.
I think I had small, short-term problems over the years (noticed a little blood on TP) but they always healed up really quick and never really hurt. End of September, I was a little constipated and that's when "it" happened. The first few weeks, the pain was moderate, and I was able to deal with it. Docs said eat fiber, drink water and it will heal up.
End of October is when it really started getting bad. The spasms would last for HOURS sometimes. I missed a week of work and was in agony. I got some dilitazem cream, which I use three times a day. That did seem to help. Now, end of November, I can for the most part BM without much pain, and I haven't seen blood in weeks, but the spasms are still there, and sometimes (like today) they are there all day! I think I'm "healed" or close to it, but when will these spasms stop!? UGH!!! The only thing that seems to help when they flare up is a warm bath or a heating pad, and once I remove the heat, they usually creep back.
Part of me feels I am getting better, but then there are days I wonder. I've lost over 20 lbs in the last two months because my eating habits have changed (and I'm not an overweight guy to begin with). I have little energy to boot, so I'm not working out, I'm not productive at work. I'm missing days of work here and there, and I kind of feel like an all-around bum. You really take this part of your body for granted until it doesn't work right.c
Anyways, nice to see there is a site to talk to people about this. I've scoured the internet for info, and have really come to realize there is nothing else I can really do now, but give it time and understand its gonna hurt for a while. This sucks!
OuchThisHurts

Topics: 1

Re: This is not a lot of fun

Postby Davo » 30 Nov 2011, 03:21

You sound at exactly the same stage as me - The pain during BM has stopped but the spasms continue. I get them for about 4-5 hours each day after the BM and have had to take quite a few days off work due to the pain.

On some days i can hardly walk although I slightly differ because the fissure has stopped me going to the gym so I have actually started to put on weight.
I almost overdose on water and fibre each day and BM’s are very soft yet I just can’t seem to shake this daily 4-5 pain spell. The doctor has prescribed me GTN but she does not want me to take it because of the side effects and would rather it heal itself.
One thing I have tried that relieves the pain to a considerable extent is Hemoclin which is available from larger branches of Boots the Chemist. You apply it before and after the BM and it can take about 3 days to work but it certainly give me an element of relief whilst the fissure heals itself BUT…… it has side effects!!! For me it acted like a laxative for a few days, give me stomach upsets and made me feel sick which is not that nice but more bearable than the usual pain! The other downside is that it is Ј14.99 but for me that was a small price to pay for the sense of relief!
Let me know how you get on.
(ohh and I am trying GTN for the first time tonight so I will post my experiences afterwards)
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sue1962 » 30 Nov 2011, 07:03

Hey Ouch
Sorry for your pain. We all have been or are there!!! I have been dealing with this for 3 years!!! Finally going to the CRS tomorrow. I have been to a general surgeon b/c no CRS in my area, so traveling 2 hours to get there. Sounds like your AF is chronic. I don't even bleed anymore and haven't for a long time, just burning, pressure, and spasms, all after the BM. I have used everything the Dr. gave me and they all work short term, but that's me, everyone is different. I have also lost 15lbs from changing my diet. Just keep you diet high in fiber, tons of water, warm soaks and a good stool softener, also I have found walking really helps alot. Just a nice slow walk will help the sphincter relax at first it hurts like hell, but then it starts to relax. Lots of good advice from people on here, read, read, read!!! Hope you feel better soon!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby dwarfs8 » 30 Nov 2011, 08:27

Hi ouchthishurts, did u try putting some lubricant like aloe Vera or Vaseline or lidocaine before u have a bm?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Mike530 » 13 Dec 2011, 00:59

hey guys, I basically have been dealing with the same symptoms for 5 years now. Finally figured out 3 months ago that I had a AF. I went in for surgery and they found that the AF was'nt bad enough to remove and that I also had 2 large internal hemmeroids which they did remove. I also had botox done as well, but its been a month later and I have had no relief. I have been taking miralax and metamucil to keep my stools soft, and I have no pain during BM but my pain starts about 20 mins after and continues for 8-10 hours! I also have other pain just from moving around as well. Also, while my fissure is in spasm I have painful/urgent urination. I had a post op appt the other day and the nurse said my fissure was healing and that the hemmeroid removal is causing the pain but it feels just like it did before? So i dont buy that. I think my next step will be another surgery. Good luck.
Mike530
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4