My Experience with CRS first appt today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My Experience with CRS first appt today

Postby Sue1962 » 01 Dec 2011, 15:53

Hello All,
Well, I can't believe how uptight and anxious I was to go to my first appt with the CRS. Actually, the 2 hour ride to see him was more uncomfortable than the whole visit. His staff was very pleasant and helpful. First impression...Good. As soon as I finished my new patient paper work his nurse wisked my husband and myself to an exam room, told me NOT to undress the Dr would come in and talk to us first, he came right in, we didn't wait even 5 minutes...Good. He went through my history, the usual questions how long I have had this... how many times a day I poop, any blood, blah blah blah, I was prepared since my mother had colon cancer, I brought a copy of my last colonoscopy, he seemed quite impressed....LOL, he then listened to my heart and lungs, checked my thyroid and all lymphnodes, looked down my throat and pushed all over my belly. He left the room and the nurse handed me a gown Image told me just to drop my jeans to my knees and kneal on the bottom of the table, soon as I dropped them he appeared, a strange table kind of like a scissor table, raised my butt to his face :oops: I said please be gentle looked at my hubby and he did a firm but quick inspection that broke me into a cold sweat, and made me say oh sh*t, just opened my butt, NEVER put anything in :D GOOD the nurse told me to get dressed and go to his office. He then told me I had only one AF very deep down to the muscle. Image He said we could try to continue to heal it with the ointments and diet blah blah blah.. I stopped him right there and said, no thanks, I want this thing to heal and my life back to normal!!! I am ready for the knife. I think he was a bit shocked, but I had tried doing all that for months in the town I live in with a general surgeon, no CRS's where I live, that's why the 2 hour ride. He spent alot of time with us, answered all of our questions, I didn't feel rushed at all: Good. Bedside manner probably a 6 out of 10, but I am not marrying this guy and he has done too many of these to count: Good. He acted as though this is a nothing surgery, like as easy as brushing his teeth. He said I'll just cut into the sphincter and that will let the fissure heal...No hemorrhoidectomy No fissurectomy and as far as my tag, he said it is so small he would rather leave it b/c it would cause more pain and a longer recovery. Just LIS: WHEW GOOD!! Said I could go back to work in a few days. Ummm not, I am taking 2 weeks off... If I feel better sooner then great if not at least I know I have 2 weeks to recover.. Propofol for sleep and local to the butt for numbing Image He has been doing this for 18 years, had pictures of his family in his office and washed his hands before and after exam!! That is very important to me, I am a nurse and a germ freak!! He was very matter of fact, be but sympathetic to my pain, took time with us, answered all of our questions and staff was great!! Surgery date January 9th only b/c I wanted to wait until after the first of the year as others in my office are scheduled for vacations. He would have done it in 2 weeks, but that is too close to Christmas for me.. Sorry for the long post, but I thought maybe that would help some of the newbies and those considering surgery. I feel so relieved that this is almost over!!! Thanks to all of you that have done this and posted!! You really are the ones that pushed me to go to the CRS, can almost feel the wind in my face again. Sure did miss riding my Harley!! Image Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: My Experience with CRS first appt today

Postby Guest » 01 Dec 2011, 16:30

Congratulations on getting a date for surgery Sue! That's awesome!! I remember it felt so good for me to just be able to take some control over the situation! Just having a date for surgery was a weight off my shoulders even though I was still a little nervous to say the least, Lol! It's sounds like you are there too :)
There just comes a point when you know you've fought as long as you can and are ready to get it over with :roll:
It's good to hear you have a good feeling about your CRS and everything went well with your appointment. Your CRS sounds really confident about about the surgery and that's definitely what you want to hear!
I have a question about your skin tag ,Sue. How bad is it? Mine would swell to the point that I couldn't even see my B-hole (sorry :oops: ), and I wondered how a bm could even get past it! :oops: I know you have mentioned it feels as painful as the fissure if not worse at times and was just wondering if it's anywhere near the level mine was?
I know some docs don't like to do a lot of cutting down there from reading this forum. Did he feel that it would shrink or could give you a lot of trouble down the road?
I respect his professional opinion, I was just curious if he knew the grief it has been causing you. I also saw another boardie who had to have hers removed later after her LIS because her first CRS didn't and it still caused her a lot of discomfort... I'm sure your CRS knows what's best, but this may be something you want to think about or ask about if you haven't already?Image I know a million questions and thoughts run through your mind at the appointments, especially when you are scheduling for surgery.
You've made a good decision Sue! I hope your fissure behaves through Christmas until you get your brand new butt in 2012!! Image

Postby dwarfs8 » 01 Dec 2011, 19:46

oh sue, now i saw ur date! ok, all's good now, i think u will heal nicely after that. Look forward to a new life in 2012!! :D
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Sue1962 » 01 Dec 2011, 20:08

Hey Dawn
Thank you!!! I am sooo relieved and almost excited to get this done and over with Image I do feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. My husband has been there every step of the way also, which is a huge help. He totally keeps me grounded. I really was scared and didn't want to go this morning, but there he was comforting me yet again and away we went Image
About my tag, my fissure is at 6 oclock and the fissure runs from just inside my butthole (sorry TMI) :oops: to the outside of it and my tag is just below it. Mine doesn't swell much and is little does not cover my butt at all. I asked him why it burned and hurt so much, I made sure he knew the grief it has been causing me. He said b/c the fissure is right below it and running into it, with it being so small he feels it will shrink and not bother me at all once everything heals. Boy are you right about the million questions!! I forgot to ask him if there is any internal packing and what pain meds I will receive Image when they call with the time I need to be there I will ask those questions. I just wanted to let you know that YOU are one of the reasons I am doing this, I mean reading all of your posts, your reassurance and still here a year after surgery helping us that are facing it is just awesome!!! I feel like you are going through this with me. I am so glad I found this forum, I suffered for 3 year alone!!! Thanks again Dawn, it really means alot Image Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Sue1962 » 01 Dec 2011, 20:16

Hey Dwarfs
Thanks!!! I am so looking forward to a new year and a pain free one!!! How are things with you?? Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby dwarfs8 » 01 Dec 2011, 20:19

Sue1962 wrote:Hey Dwarfs
Thanks!!! I am so looking forward to a new year and a pain free one!!! How are things with you?? Image

I've sent u a PM dearie, u read?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby JR » 02 Dec 2011, 08:02

Congrats im glad your going to get rid of this monster, can you say new butts..no pain..no worrying anymore, I KNOW I CAN. Be patient and I know everything will go good with you. surgery is having me a little anxious but Im assuming that's normal. But at this point we got nothing to lose, BUT A NASTY FISSURE!!! :D
I hope you have a fast recovery so you can get back to a normal life soon
JR
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 02 Dec 2011, 08:32

Sue,
you made my day :) I'm so happy that I could be a positive influence in your decision. I've been where you are and I told myself after I had the surgery and realized things weren't bad as I had imagined in my crazy mind, that I was going to help others. I never wanted anyone to fear this as much as I did! It really wasn't worth it at all!
I'll be here to see you through Sue and Jr! I'm so happy to see you both getting your new butts and your lives back!! Image Image

Postby Sue1962 » 02 Dec 2011, 10:52

I plan on hanging around too!!! If I can help other people deal with this condition and understand it a bit from my experience, then that's what I'll do. There is nothing worse than feeling like you are alone with this whole thing, even though my husband is a saint, I don't want to constantly talk to him about my butt and how miserable I am, here I can vent, laugh and cry..So I will be sticking around too!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist