First visit to CRS

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

First visit to CRS

Postby Davo » 08 Dec 2011, 06:02

After six weeks of pain and discomfort the doctor has referred me to a CRS.
I am slightly nervous but also a little excited as the prospect of finally getting my fissure sorted (I am presuming its a fissure and not a fistula!)
Currently i am on my second week of GTN (Nitro) which has allowed me to get on with my daily life with discomfort rather than pain but my doctor has said that the fissure has not improved hence the reason for referring.
I am just wondering what other peoples first experiences have been like? I am also presuming that its way too early for them to even suggest surgery and i expect i will be sent away and told to continue with the GTN for the next few weeks with a follow up in January sometime.
Anyway i was just wondering what goes on and what he suggested for other sufferers after the fist visit!
Davo

Topics: 42

Re: First visit to CRS

Postby Sue1962 » 08 Dec 2011, 06:23

This was my first visit last week Davo...hope it helps!!
My Experience with CRS first appt today
by Sue1962 on December 1st 2011, 4:53 pm
.Hello All,
Well, I can't believe how uptight and anxious I was to go to my first appt with the CRS. Actually, the 2 hour ride to see him was more uncomfortable than the whole visit. His staff was very pleasant and helpful. First impression...Good. As soon as I finished my new patient paper work his nurse wisked my husband and myself to an exam room, told me NOT to undress the Dr would come in and talk to us first, he came right in, we didn't wait even 5 minutes...Good. He went through my history, the usual questions how long I have had this... how many times a day I poop, any blood, blah blah blah, I was prepared since my mother had colon cancer, I brought a copy of my last colonoscopy, he seemed quite impressed....LOL, he then listened to my heart and lungs, checked my thyroid and all lymphnodes, looked down my throat and pushed all over my belly. He left the room and the nurse handed me a gown told me just to drop my jeans to my knees and kneal on the bottom of the table, soon as I dropped them he appeared, a strange table kind of like a scissor table, raised my butt to his face I said please be gentle looked at my hubby and he did a firm but quick inspection that broke me into a cold sweat, and made me say oh sh*t, just opened my butt, NEVER put anything in GOOD the nurse told me to get dressed and go to his office. He then told me I had only one AF very deep down to the muscle. He said we could try to continue to heal it with the ointments and diet blah blah blah.. I stopped him right there and said, no thanks, I want this thing to heal and my life back to normal!!! I am ready for the knife. I think he was a bit shocked, but I had tried doing all that for months in the town I live in with a general surgeon, no CRS's where I live, that's why the 2 hour ride. He spent alot of time with us, answered all of our questions, I didn't feel rushed at all: Good. Bedside manner probably a 6 out of 10, but I am not marrying this guy and he has done too many of these to count: Good. He acted as though this is a nothing surgery, like as easy as brushing his teeth. He said I'll just cut into the sphincter and that will let the fissure heal...No hemorrhoidectomy No fissurectomy and as far as my tag, he said it is so small he would rather leave it b/c it would cause more pain and a longer recovery. Just LIS: WHEW GOOD!! Said I could go back to work in a few days. Ummm not, I am taking 2 weeks off... If I feel better sooner then great if not at least I know I have 2 weeks to recover.. Propofol for sleep and local to the butt for numbing He has been doing this for 18 years, had pictures of his family in his office and washed his hands before and after exam!! That is very important to me, I am a nurse and a germ freak!! He was very matter of fact, be but sympathetic to my pain, took time with us, answered all of our questions and staff was great!! Surgery date January 9th only b/c I wanted to wait until after the first of the year as others in my office are scheduled for vacations. He would have done it in 2 weeks, but that is too close to Christmas for me.. Sorry for the long post, but I thought maybe that would help some of the newbies and those considering surgery. I feel so relieved that this is almost over!!! Thanks to all of you that have done this and posted!! You really are the ones that pushed me to go to the CRS, can almost feel the wind in my face again. Sure did miss riding my Harley!! .
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36