It's been 7 weeks, LIS or wait longer ??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: It's been 7 weeks, LIS or wait longer ??

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2011, 21:14

Hey Chris,
Congrats on your surgery!
The packing should come out with the first BM, and yes the pressure is normal. I asked the same question after my LIS! I felt like I needed to have a BM too.
I'm not sure what stool softener your taking but if it's Miralax then you should have no problems taking the pain meds. I would definitely take them a couple of days and stay ahead of the pain.

Postby chris.d » 15 Dec 2011, 11:15

Dawn wrote:Hey Chris,
Congrats on your surgery!
The packing should come out with the first BM, and yes the pressure is normal. I asked the same question after my LIS! I felt like I needed to have a BM too.
I'm not sure what stool softener your taking but if it's Miralax then you should have no problems taking the pain meds. I would definitely take them a couple of days and stay ahead of the pain.

Thanks Dawn.
I don't know how typical this is but, I didn't get more than a hour or so sleep last night due incredible ovewhelming and continuous pain. As well, significant urinary retention.
My situation may have been exasperated in that I was not able to completely have a bm last night as the packing seemed to prevent it.
I broke into cold sweats and that's when the pain exponentially increased.
I swear, I know pain due to spinal issues but never so intense and prolonged.
I called the Dr's office this morning they advised doubling the pain meds (from 1 to 2 percocet every 6hrs) and adding motrin. Originally they told me to take doclace as a stool softener. I have been, (as well as prune jc/water mixture) sitz & baths. I also have miralex here in case.
That enabled me to remove the packing this morning gently in the tub/in water.
I feel "a bit" better and was able to sleep a few hours. I'll see how it goes when a bm does come.
It seems the swelling as well as some bleeding is normal?
chris.d
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2011, 11:37

Hey Chris,
Swelling and a little blood all sounds normal. I don't know what Doclace is but can only speak from experience with the Miralax... It works pretty awesome with the pain meds. I know quite a few folks in here who used other things with not as good results, so I'm hoping your stool softener gives you good results!!
I didn't have a horrible time with the pain, but I didn't let 4 hours go by without having a vicodin in me for the first couple of days. I did wake up sore once because I had slept through my next dose. It could be that you may require a little more medication than I or there's a difference in pain meds and how well they work?! I would say being sore is normal at this point though. These are the roughest days during the first week. It will gradually get better each week.
I did also break out in a cold sweat the day of my surgery when I got home. I'm not sure if that's all the pain meds and the GA that's in your body.
I also took my packing out in the tub. Mine wasn't inside, it was just pressed against the outside and came off pretty easy. That will definitely help some with the pressure feeling, but it's still going to feel swollen. Just stay off your feet and butt as much as you can right now. Drink plenty of fluids and maybe just take a little extra stool softener while on the pain meds.

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2011, 12:02

ps..
Chris,
Many folks on here, myself included had a hard time with having complete bm's in the beginning. Also the swelling can give you a false feeling of needing to go. You may have went prematurely... Just try to eat a pretty good amount of food once you can. Be sure to stay on the fissure friendly diet that has worked for you before surgery and keep up your water! I have read of some people taking just a few sips of coffee to stimulate a bm. I'm not saying go and drink pots of coffee but a little won't hurt, especially if you are keeping up with your water intake.
I think getting that first bm out of the way helps decrease all the anxiety... Mine really wasn't bad as it was the day before with my fissure. Just relax, take deep breaths and don't tense up but don't push either... I know that's easier said than done but you may be surprised. I know I was!!
Take very good care of yourself. These are the worst days and you are now on your way to truly healing and getting a normal life back :)

Postby chris.d » 15 Dec 2011, 12:45

Thanks so much again Dawn.
I'm doing better with the pain management though still awaiting the 1st bm.
I just took a dose of milk of magnesia as they said to do so if there was no bm after 2 days. I want to stay on top of it w the increased meds.
I will switch back to miralex later I think. Plenty of water, fruits, chicken soup.
I got a bit of a fomidable feeling when you mentioned the 1st "week" is the roughest though.
The Dr. (in a somewhat disturbingly dismissive tone) said I should be good to start work on Monday since I had it done on a Wen.
I guess I'll see, though my job (xray) does involve lifting, moving etc.
Ongoing appreciation.
chris.d
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 Dec 2011, 14:27

Hey Chris! Just wanted to say congratulations on your surgery! I definitely second all of Dawn's excellent advice. It's true that the swelling can make you feel like you have to go went you actually don't, but they swelling is normal. Miralax is the favouite stool softener here - it worked wonders for me - but it can take a day or two to kick in. Milk of Magnesia is a common 'back-up plan' for many of us here when stools softeners don't quite do the trick. It sounds to me like you are doing everything right. One thing I would add is that doctors almost always significantly underestimate recovery time. Two or three days is ridiculous! At least a week, but ideally two weeks to recover is much more reasonable. I would also strongly suggest that you definitely not do any heavy lifting so soon after your operation. Sorry if I sound bossy, but it would be such a shame if you suffered a set back after all you've been through.
Hang in there! The first week is the roughest, but it does get better.
Good luck with the first BM! Try to relax as much as possible and take deep yoga breaths. :)
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2011, 14:29

Your welcome Chris! That time line is a joke though...I'd say you would be more ready to go back to work around 2 weeks post-op. Next Wednesday, you should be able to look back and see much improvement, and then again in another week... Most have said the second week is when you get that Image " Ahhh I'm so glad I did this" moment.
Ps...
My daughter does x-rays too. She's interning and will be graduating in May as a radiology tech. I never realized how much lifting, etc was involved until she started all of it. She's so small. I worry about her having back problems later in life!

Postby chris.d » 15 Dec 2011, 18:20

Thanks guys.
This place is such a welcome respit.
The 1st bm tonight was very minimal.
I realize that can happen, hope tomorrow is better.
Miralex ensues.
Boy do I hope avoiding a repeat fissure in the future is a realistic hope/ambition.
Being in health care I'm all too familiar w "some" dr's being somewhat unrealistic with patient outcomes.
I guess I wanted to believe his time line but will have to reassess on Monday. I was due to go back tues-fri and on call fri sat. Might just stay off till the fri-sat on call. Have to see.
Dawn, I hope your daughter has a good outcome finding work. Radiology is a 2nd career thing for me, graduated 6 years ago and back then there were many jobs, sign on bonuses etc. Tougher these days.
The great thing is though, cross training in mri-ct-nuc med etc. are all options once she has her RT.
There's also outpatient center options or general xray (more hands-feet) in considering less lifting.
chris.d
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2011, 18:37

Thanks Chris:)
I'm hoping she does too. It looks pretty promising right now!! One of the head of radiology where she interns at already told her she will be expecting her application when she's finished with school. Fingers crossed! She only 20 years old and has plenty of time to go further with her education if need be, but hopefully not because she has too!! Ugh! It's so hard for kids these days. My oldest will be graduating with her bachelors for teaching at the same time. She saw so many teachers get laid off. It was very discouraging for her too. You always teach your kids to work hard and go to college and life will be better but it seems that's not always the case.... It looks good for both of them right now though! Thank the Lord!
Hope things continue to go well with you Chris! :)

Postby chris.d » 18 Dec 2011, 11:10

Hey guys. Just checking back in. Feeling slightly frustrated 5 days post LIS. But, hopefully this is normal stuff.
Although I realize recovery is somewhat different for everyone...
Please let me know if the following "Post-LIS" symptoms / experiences seem to be part of a normal recovery. I have a follow up appt w the dr. Wen.
- the 1st night was "very" painfull. maybe I didn't take enough of the pain meds, the following day the on call dr. said to double them.
- the last few days, trying to ween from meds but still 1 or 2 /day due to disscomfort. Miralex 2-3 x's a day lately. w/ 1/2 water 1/2 prune juice.
- Swelling / some blood / slight discharge.
- several bm/ day but all very small amounts
- urgency to go comes on quikly, hard to hold it. ie; running to bathroom.
- PRESSURE - an uncomfortable feeling before after bm's. Sometimes last a while.
I don't want to make it too dramatic. Heck, I can take it all fine if this is normal recovery but, The Dr. was disturbingly dismissive saying, "just get back to your life".
Really? I can't imagine driving - still (4 days later?) and may not be able to go to work till later this week, I hope.
They / he just don't really inform you very well IME re; What to "really" expect.
Thank goodness for places like this.
Appreciate any further thoughts.
chris.d
Fibre Addict