It's been 7 weeks, LIS or wait longer ??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

It's been 7 weeks, LIS or wait longer ??

Postby chris.d » 08 Dec 2011, 16:23

I'm so torn. (got to be the worst pun ever, sorry)
Dr wants me to have the LIS on Dec. 23rd (great:).
He calls it chronic at this point. I thought it was getting slightly better but had a bad week (despite the nifedipine, diet, konsyl, H2o & sitz).
It's also accompanied by a hemorrhoid, yeay.
To be honest, I might wait it out a few more weeks into Jan, but my insurance year will renew by then making it a bit more expensive with my new enrollment work benefits.
Mostly, the 8% risk of incontinence gives me much pause but still, I want to do what seems best ??
I know there's much empathy aroud here.
Appreciate any thoughts.
chris.d
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: It's been 7 weeks, LIS or wait longer ??

Postby Guest » 08 Dec 2011, 17:02

Hi Chris,
Your fissure's not really that old if I'm remembering correctly, so I can understand you having reservations about surgery. Fissures are considered chronic medically after 6 weeks though. :roll: This does not mean that it still can't heal but chances do get slim as time goes by...
If you aren't comfortable with the idea of surgery then I don't see any harm in you waiting and giving it more time. There was another boardie on here who had LIS pretty quick. I think her fissure was about 6 weeks and she begged for the LIS and got it! But if you aren't feeling comfortable, then I would definitely wait. I always say there's no need to suffer for months and years but we all felt better giving it our best shot before having the surgery.
As for incontinence, if it makes you feel any better, there's not one post in here to my knowledge where anyone has became incontinent from LIS. With that being said, I'm not sure if your CRS told you he/she had an 8% risk of incontinence with there patients, but if they did then I would run like hell and find another surgeon!! You want to use a CRS who has NEVER had any cases of incontinence!!
Ps...
Are you sure that the hem isn't a skin tag?

Postby chris.d » 08 Dec 2011, 17:12

Thanks for your thoughts Dawn. It's been about 7 weeks now.
Regarding the 8%, just read that online at wed md, but you made me laugh w that one:)
Not sure what a skin tag is but, it seems? like a typical hemorrhoid.
I want to wait as long as possible but it does seem like there's many "why did I wait this long?!" stories around.
I made an appt with a 2nd dr for Monday thinking a 2nd opinion might not be a bad idea...
chris.d
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 08 Dec 2011, 21:58

Hi Chris,
I'm one of those who couldn't believe I waited so long, Lol!
But when I did have the surgery, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I couldn't heal it on my own and It was time to go to the next level, but No one could have convinced me a minute sooner!! I definitely had to come to that decision/ point on my own. I also had 8 months to get my diet, stool softeners, etc- routine to perfection during that time, which I believe really benefited me after LIS. But my mental and physical well being was pushed as far as I could go. By the time I had surgery, I had lost 50 lbs and my mind Image
I think it's really important to be ready and not pushed into the surgery if one needs it. Seven weeks isn't all that long compared to the majority of folks in here, but it is considered chronic at this point... Knowing what I know now, I would have the LIS at 7 weeks rather than waiting 8 months with false hope as I did but I know now that I wasn't going to heal, and I surely didn't know that then...Lol Image
I think a second opinion is a great idea and may help you more with deciding and I think most CRS's won't have a problem with waiting until you're ready...
Skin tags look exactly like a hemmy. Mine was actually misdiagnosed as one by the first CRS that I saw when I had my fissure. I had it removed with my LIS. It's very common for them to develop with a chronic fissure Image

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 09 Dec 2011, 11:12

Hey Chris,
Like Dawn, I had a tag that was misdiagnosed as a hemmy. When that little (naughty naughty) got inflamed (constantly toward the end), it caused excruciating pain.
As you know, doctors have to disclose any and all surgical risks. As we know, nothing in life comes without risk. Statistically speaking, incontinence is extremely rare and figures can vary depending on the source. When I heard "incontinence," I had visions of having to wear diapers for the rest of my (I finally decided, screw it, diapers vs pain; diapers win!); when in fact, reality is, the few who do end up post LIS incontinent, usually experience mild flatulent incontinence, or minor leakage. Depending on your modesty level, a small price to pay for relief. Turns out, like most, I have had neither.
As for having it done that close to the holiday (if you don't celebrate, please forgive my assumption), I could have mine done 2 days before Thanksgiving, moved it up a week because the holiday and ended up having a miserable day. For me, the post-op pain has been much easier than AF.
When I first consulted with my CRS, he told me that my fissure was chronic and that it was unlikely to heal. However, he did offer me conservative options (nitro, valium etc.) to try before LIS. I appreciated him allowing me to make the call on my treatment. A week after my CRS appointment, and having tried every available conservative option, I called the CRS to schedule LIS. 11 days out, no regrets.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby dwarfs8 » 09 Dec 2011, 18:09

chris.d wrote:I'm so torn. (got to be the worst pun ever, sorry)
Dr wants me to have the LIS on Dec. 23rd (great:).
He calls it chronic at this point. I thought it was getting slightly better but had a bad week (despite the nifedipine, diet, konsyl, H2o & sitz).
It's also accompanied by a hemorrhoid, yeay.
To be honest, I might wait it out a few more weeks into Jan, but my insurance year will renew by then making it a bit more expensive with my new enrollment work benefits.
Mostly, the 8% risk of incontinence gives me much pause but still, I want to do what seems best ??
I know there's much empathy aroud here.
Appreciate any thoughts.

hi there, if there's a hemm with the fissure just like mine, it makes things harder to heal. If u like to have some more ideas on healing conservatively, check out the thread "my success story".
Healing really depends on the severity and many other factors. There are cases, though slim where one can heal/calm a chronic fissure conservatively, like myself. However, i have always left LIS as an option if i ever can't heal conservatively and decided to give up. So to each it's own. If you feel u can't take it anymore, go the LIS route. Being incontinent is rare after LIS, as mentioned by my CRS
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby chris.d » 09 Dec 2011, 18:49

The supportive words of wisdom are much appreciated.
Really.
This has been one of the bad days with the pain being intense and relentless.
I will get the the opinion of a 2nd CLS on Monday (The CLS I have been seeing said he'd suggest doing it either a few weeks into Jan or Dec 23rd, but up to me to decide)
Judging by today, I may go ahead w the 23rd if the 2nd CLS thinks it's advisable. Ofcouse, I don't want to pre xmas and all but that's not the primary concern.
As well, I won't focus on the very small chance of incontinence issues.
I guess it's just a gamble as to if healing natually is even a plausible outcome or not.
Can you imagine being on a horse crossing the country pre-medical options in the ol' cowboys & indians days. Wow, and we think we know pain. :oops:
Just trying to decide, how much is enough already. :roll:
BTW, Potato?.. how so?
Last edited by chris.d on 09 Dec 2011, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
chris.d
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 09 Dec 2011, 18:58

u won't have to decide, ur mind and heart will know it when the time comes that u've tried everything and pain takes over ur life, sucking out every ounce of joy out of you, u will know enough is enough.
Pray to God, if u will. It helps to keep my sanity and brought me back joy again. :)
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby chris.d » 14 Dec 2011, 16:35

Well commrades, I had the LIS done today.
In getting the 2nd Dr's opinion, he said he didn't think mine would heal on it's own so I decided to just get it done.

The packing is very uncomfortable, like you have to have a bm but it can't penetrate the packing.
I guess that's common?
Otherwise, I'll follow their instructions.
As well, try to stay positive as they say the following 2 days can be rough re; pain. Of course varies from person to person.
chris.d
Fibre Addict

Postby chris.d » 14 Dec 2011, 19:16

12 hours post surgery. significant pain.
chris.d
Fibre Addict