What should I do next?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

What should I do next?

Postby David1421 » 09 Dec 2011, 03:33

Hi, I just joined the forum. I am 25 and I have been dealing with anal fissures for almost 4 years now. The first one I had was terrible and I was in unbearable pain for hour after bowel movements. I got referred to a CRS but by the time I actually got an appointment 8 months later I had learned to heal myself with diet, sitz baths, and stool softeners. I was good for about 6 months but then they started happening again and again. About 6 months ago it got to the point where I was tearing every week and then healing 2-3 days later. Then I'd be ok for a few days and then I'd tear again. I was in a smaller town over the summer so the doctor I saw there referred me to a general surgeon. When I saw him, of course I didn't have an active fissure so he said he couldn't do anything for me. I talked him into at least doing a colonoscopy but he didn't find anything wrong with me.
So basically I don't know what to do now. I've been seeing a dietitian and she has been very helpful. I almost always have soft bowel movements now. But even soft movements seem to cause tearing these days. Should I get a referral and wait another 8 months to see the CRS again? Will they even do anything this time?
What I really want to know is what defines a chronic fissure. Does it have to be one that never ever heals and causing pain every time you go. Or does what I have also count as a chronic anal fissure; Where I seem to tear and heal and re-tear on a weekly basis. Cause if so, I probably want to look into surgery right?
David1421

Topics: 1

Re: What should I do next?

Postby dwarfs8 » 09 Dec 2011, 08:31

Chronic fissure is a fissure that has not healed after 6 weeks. Mine is chronic too, i took 5 mths to calm it down and stop retearing.
If urs has been around for so long and just couldn't heal, u probably like to consider LIS, which has quite a number of success stories on this board. If this CRS doesn't want to do it, consult another
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Re: What should I do next?

Postby Buttski » 09 Dec 2011, 09:16

I really understand your pain!Although,Ive had mine for only 8 months,much less time then you,but I understand.Also,Im in the same sort of situation,where my BM is perfect,nice and soft,yet it still tears me open,I just dont understand!There is lots of good info here,browse around!HAve you tried flax oil to help the bm sort of slip out?It kind of helps a bit.....it doesnt work for me but a friend of mine swears by it.I hope things get better for you.
Buttski
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2