Would you bypass Botox for LIS.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Would you bypass Botox for LIS.

Postby Davo » 10 Jan 2012, 03:00

I have my six week follow up next week with my CRS after my course of GTN - although my pain relief has gone from 10 down to roughly a 1 I can still see the fissure as nasty as ever.
My CRS has told me that should it not heal he will be looking at Botox injections next.
I have had this damn thing about four months now, have gone without alcohol throughout, I have have a diet that is similar to baby food and my life revolves around sitz baths, how many glasses of water i have drank and how soft my BM's are. Christmas and my birthday were ruined and i had to cancel my holiday so its started to p*ss me off a little!
What makes things worse is that I am getting married this summer in Italy and I want to remember the day for the right reasons and not for the medication, sitz baths, ceremony food or getting a re-tear from drinking alcohol.
If i go on the Botox I am presuming that i will have to continue with the water and diet and there is a still a chance that the fissure will not heal or i could get a re-tear still in a few months time (I maybe wrong though).
Therefore i am struggling to see the point in getting Botox injections when i can have the gold standard of surgery which only lasts 10-15 minutes. Ok i appreciate that i maybe in severe pain for a few weeks afterwards but this is short price to pay to get my life back. I also understand that there is the incontinence risk however i also know the risk is minimal and when it does happen it is only minor soiling - I am willing to take the risk.
So i would like as many peoples advice as possible and my question is this - If your CRS would allow it would you bypass Botox and opt to have LIS?
Davo

Topics: 42

Re: Would you bypass Botox for LIS.

Postby alpinestrawberry » 10 Jan 2012, 07:31

Yeah, I bypassed it. I guess all doctors are different but mine didn't mention botox and I didn't bring it up, because quite frankly I wasn't even interested.
It just seems to me that people get temporary relief at best with botox. And the shots wouldn't be painless either. The last thing I wanted was to start feeling better and then three months later BAM! retear and back to square one. And that often does happen with botox.
It sounds like you are more interested in the surgery anyway, so I'd discuss that with the doctor. I don't know where you're located or how easy it is for you to get a second opinion/find a doctor who will work with you, but best of luck getting what you need to heal!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Davo » 10 Jan 2012, 08:18

Yeah i absolutely agree with you - what is the point of going through it all, improving a little only to be back at square one after three months. I just want it gone.
As for my doctor (I am in the UK) he is a very highly regarded CRS and he just mentioned on my last visit that Botox would be the next step - i need to talk to him when we next meet and thats what got me thinking about bypassing the Botox
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Guest » 10 Jan 2012, 09:06

I totally agree with Alpine. I would have bypassed it had I been offered.
I had a hard time finding very many positive experiences with Botox in here. I wasn't up to continuing the roller coaster ride with my fissure. I don't think I could have handled going through numerous shots or re-tearing and eventually needing surgery anyways...

Postby grannymaria » 12 Jan 2012, 12:59

oh Image thanks for the info Image
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13