Just got home from the hospital a few hours ago.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Just got home from the hospital a few hours ago.

Postby travis1994 » 10 Jan 2012, 16:06

Except I didn't get the surgery I thought I was going to have. During today's examination under anesthesia, the doc found no trace of a fistula...fissure, or even a hemorrhoid. What he did find was a rather large pilonidal cyst which if you don't know what that is, it's pretty much an infected hair folicle that grows I believe. Anyways, they excised it and sticthed it closed. I don't really have any pain right now and haven't taken any painkillers at all. I don't want to jinx myself though..my butt is mainly sore from the examination. Anyways, I don't know if this is the appropriate forum to continue writing on, but it really made me appreciate that I don't have a dreaded fistula or fissure.
travis1994
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Just got home from the hospital a few hours ago.

Postby Sue1962 » 10 Jan 2012, 17:03

YAY!!! Image so happy for you Travis!!!! you can keep on writing if you want, you did have surgery and may have some questions on healing and caring for you new wound. I had my surgery yesterday LIS and am doing very well. No painkillers for me either. Just take it easy and don't try to do too much too soon. So glad you are on the other side of this and wish you continued healing pain free Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby grannymaria » 10 Jan 2012, 17:41

Ditto! Glad it wasn't as bad - but like Sue said keep us posted :) God bless u
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby travis1994 » 10 Jan 2012, 23:34

Honestly, my hospital stay was pretty amazing if I do say so myself. I was up all night before just staring at the clock on the tv that I never noticed was muted. My parents went to bed early because we had to go over early and I cried all night until 4am when I decided I should atleast try to go to sleep. 6 am rolled around and my parents woke me up to get ready to go. I was in full nervous breakdown now and honestly..I contemplated throwing myself out the window a few times LOL *temporary insanity* anyways..the car ride over to the hospital in my former hometown was pretty bad. By the time we got there, my heart was racing...I was like "great..I'm voluntarily walking through those doors to get my butt sliced up" and I was even more scared because the surgeon didn't know if I had a fistula, or a pilonidal cyst. Met the nurses and they took me and my parents to a room that had some tv's in it because we were gonna be bored for a while. I changed into my testosterone-blocking hospital gown and had my IV put in no problem. I watched tv for a while and the nurses heated up some blankets for me and they even gave my parents some coffee creamer from their personal stash because the cafeteria was all out. Soon enough I rolled on down to anesthesia where I asked them to give me a light sedative and we waited some more...I went into the OR not really caring and I was actually looking at all the new computers they had in there, it was pretty cool! I started to say "Hey..all this stuff is really coo.." and I was out and before I could finish my sentence I was in the recovery room and my surgeon said I had a pilonidal cyst and had no trace of a fistula which is GREAT. I was dreading that. I got back to my room and the nurses gave me a cup of water and a rather disgusting turkey sandwich to help wake me up, and I got up and changed a little while later and went home. I have to do pretty much the same stuff you guys do for fissures/fistulas. 3 sitz baths daily, showering the area and keeping it clean and dry, stool softeners, these HUGE antibiotic horsepills, and pain meds if I need them. So far I haven't been in too much pain, just a sore butt because they did a proctoscopy, anoscopy, and some other "scopy" and I had to do part of a colonoscopy bowel prep the night before instead of an enema..which confused me because I didn't have a colonoscopy. while I was under and they were pretty wide scopes. Don't have any discharge really yet or pain from the excision site. I'm being extremely careful about the things I do though because if my stitches come undone, I'll have to go back and they'll put me under again to open up the wound and pack it daily. I do not want that so I'm gonna be chilling on the couch for a while and take things real slow. After weeks of grueling internet research on the dreaded anal fistula which my GP thought I had, I know I will probably have some pain sooner or later, but I'm glad there was no cutting of any sphincter muscle. PHEW, got all that off my chest. Oh and I apparently have no hair on my butt anymore, good thing it's not summer when I sweat like a hog. Anyways, I'll stop this little rant here, good luck to you Sue and I will update with anything that comes up. Hoping my recovery goes easy. Same to all of you.
travis1994
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby Deleted User 579 » 11 Jan 2012, 09:15

Wow, Travis! What an experience! But I'm so happy you didn't a fissure or a fistula, and that everything went so well. :D Image Image
Definitely take it easy and give your poor butt lots of TLC. You'll be up and enjoying life before you know it! :D
Deleted User 579