Fissure from hell

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Fissure from hell

Postby Davo » 12 Jan 2012, 15:33

I think the referral process takes about 5-6 weeks in the UK. My girlfriend has private healthcare which covers me so i can normally get an appointment within 24 hours.
I would suggest that you get a head start by asking your doctor to prescribe you rectogesic glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) - that way by the time you get a CRS appointment you will be well into your GTN course.
The GTN relaxes the internal sphincter muscle so will help ease the spasm pain.
My CRS is in central London - i thought you may have the same guy!
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby reckless » 12 Jan 2012, 16:41

I think it depends on the severity of the problem. Because I was getting penile pain and also had urinary problems initially my GP referred me to a urologist in December and I was seen within 2 weeks. At the moment the GP doesn't know that a fissure is the root cause. I only just found out on Tuesday. I'm worried if I tell him then he will not treat it as an urgent case. I'll see what happens in the next week.
reckless
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Davo » 12 Jan 2012, 16:48

I hope it goes well for you - i am having two last weeks on GTN and if its no use i will being going for Botox
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 12 Jan 2012, 17:37

reckless -
I feel for you, because I've been suffering, too.
Mine is a burning feeling - especially if my bathroom visit doesn't go smooth and easy . . . and even if it does, I still have spikes of pain and burning.
I wish you well with your problem. I know how disruptive this is to a person's life. Basically, my life has been on hold for 3 months now - and I don't know that I see an end to this agony.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby reckless » 12 Jan 2012, 18:35

Hi Sweet Bugaboo,
Yes it's awful. My life has been on hold for 7 months. I lead a very restrictive lifestyle. I either stand, walk or lie on my side. My legs are so tired!
I guess I just have to be patient.
I just want to work and resume a normal social life.
I've even stopped talking to some friends because they'd probably laugh and not understand.
I'm probably better off without them.
reckless
Salt Bather

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 12 Jan 2012, 18:44

Yes, you probably are (better off without them), reckless.
I really haven't discussed this with too many people . . . and it's not that I won't talk about medical issues, but I'm worried and upset enough, without having people worry and be upset about this, too. I have told my mother - and of course, she's worried. But that's about it.
I think we all have to be patient . . . but really, I ask myself, just how long will it take for me to feel okay again?? I don't know - and I'm so, sooo tired of all this.
It's good that we can all come here and talk. It helps to have the support from fellow AF sufferers.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby KarenG » 12 Jan 2012, 19:41

Hi Reckless
My partner has an AF and prior to seeing his CRS he was being treated for haemmorroids (sp?). We went to his first consultation fully expecting to be told he had to have them removed but in fact it wasnt that at all. But he did have a fissure. On the day of the visit he was already at the stage of walking about with ice packs up his bum and carrying around a hot water bottle and the pain was quite bad but he was given Diltizem and told to come back in 4-6 weeks if no better. From reading this forum, we learmt that if a fissure had not healed after about 6-8 weeks then it was termed as chronic and unlikely (although not impossible) to heal without further intervention. Considering that he was already in a lot of pain and knowing that we had this 6 week window, it was a bit of a blow when his next appointment came through for a date 3 months later! Anyway...he used the creams but the pain and spasms just got worse. Just before the op his days were spent purely on pain management. Things came to a head just aftee the New Year and in desperation he had the LIS op done privately and the difference is amazing. He's now a week post op and although still a bit sore (probably because hes been overdoing it to be honest as he thinks hes Superman!!) his recovery has been nothing short of amazing. Left to the NHS we'd still be waiting for his follow up appointment which would still be the best part of 6 weeks away. I'm not a sufferer, my partner is. But from helping him and reading this forum, I am amazed that a lot of doctors and surgeons under estimate the pain that this can cause people. This is just his experience...Im sure other doctors work quicker...but if you do not feel that things are moving quick enough for you and you are lucky enough to be in the position to do, then its definately worth looking into the private route. I just feel that a lot of people are made to wait and put through unneccessary pain. Hope everything works out for you x
KarenG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby grannymaria » 12 Jan 2012, 19:42

Ditto Sweetbugaboo- it's hard talking bout it with people who haven't had this horrible excruciating pain .. It's great to have support here from all .
Karen - it's awesome ur partner has ur support sweetie - some of us - me - are alone n no one to lean on. Hugs sweetie.
I do have my children n grandchildren n I'm so thankful to God for them.. God bless them always
And
God bless u all
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby reckless » 13 Jan 2012, 12:01

Well I'm sick of waiting so I've booked a private appointment with a CRS for this coming Wednesday. I'm still being referred via the NHS.
If the CRS is going to prescribe some nitrate cream for 6 weeks then fine. By that time my NHS appointment should come through and I can start more aggressive treatments if need be.
You're health is more important than anything, I've learnt this the hard way. If I can get better within Ј5000 then I'm fine with that. After all a lot of people spend more on a car.
reckless
Salt Bather

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 13 Jan 2012, 12:14

That's right, reckless -- one thing that an AF does is make us stop and think about our health.
The thing is, I had been jogging and trying to get myself in shape (right before my AF recurred) -- so, I've completely stopped that (due to pain and fear), and I've had to rethink everything I'm doing, eating, etc.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure