Oh am really fed up!! after 6 months of fissure surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Oh am really fed up!! after 6 months of fissure surgery

Postby Sue1962 » 17 Jan 2012, 20:36

I can tell you I had surgery last Monday and by Saturday I was feeling good enough to go grocery shopping and run a couple of errands. Yesterday I spent the day at the mall shopping!!! something I havent enjoyed in 3 years because of the pain, but I did yesterday. The first 3 days for me was uncomfortable but bearable, never took a pain pill just Advil. I guess everyone is different and healing time varies from person to person.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: Oh am really fed up!! after 6 months of fissure surgery

Postby Jojo1 » 18 Jan 2012, 08:45

My surgery was on November 15th and I guess I would say I felt semi normal within 2-3 weeks. Once the initial swelling and sensitivity went down. I'm at about 95% now, but I think that last 5% takes months - years to finally happen. I still have a keen awareness of that area and that alone keeps it from "feeling" normal. I never had any real pain with BM since my LIS and no bleeding whatsoever. I'm still keeping things pretty soft, I haven't had a true formed stool since the fissure happened. I'll be honest and say that I'm mentally still very frightened of a formed stool, though I know it SHOULD be formed (not hard, but formed).
My complication is that I've had bariatric surgery and must take pretty substantial amounts of calcium which is constipating no matter what form you take it in. I'm only up to 1/2 my needed dosage and am simply terrified of dealing with hard stools again. I know I'll be doing benefiber/water/miralax everyday for the rest of my life due to that alone, but right now am having a mental block with increasing my calcium. I know logically I can continue to increase it dose by dose and adjust my fiber/miralax as needed, but just the thought of this possibly happening again has me practically paralyzed with fear.
I'm fighting through it, though. You'll be fine, just be patient.
Jojo
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34